Sign in to follow this  
icearcher

Heavy CPU Coolers for Intel 1155

Hi All

Looking at a new SB build and was very impressed by the performance of some of the new air coolers on the market.

I was taking a closer look at the Noctua NH-C14 and noticed that it weighs in at nearly a tonne eh kilo. :P

My question is, has anyone heard of or found any issues with using a cooler this heavy in a tower case?

Thanx in advance

Chris

Weight isn't too much of an issue, the mounting brackets are sturdy. Not sure about that cooler, having air blow perpendicular to the motherboard isn't the best unless your case has a vent on the side.

To answer your initial question, weight isn't that much of an issue, although I've known a computer that died from the cooler's weight when it was tipped, it was a Zalman (who have a relatively crappy mounting mechanism). With a good mechanism like Noctua, Porilmatech and Thermalright use, it's not really too much of a concern. Bear in mind that if you're cooling a 32nm quad, you don't need the absolute best - a Xigmatek Dark Knight for example is ~650g, and only a couple more degrees than the NH-C14. As SNB runs cool (e.g you can do > 4.0GHz overclocks safely on the stock cooler lol) compared to 45nm LGA 1155 and 1336 chips, that's really all you need even for a full overclock (it's also a lot cheaper).

I also agree with Cyber in that the perpendicular (top to bottom airflow) is not the ideal arrangement. It does have the side benefit of providing extra airflow to the voltage regulation circuitry on the motherboard, however whilst this was a good thing back in the 775 days, it shouldn't be much of an issue in any half decent board powering four 32nm cores - unlike 775 systems which had to cope with four 65nm cores being regulated, along with a separate Northbridge - those board benefited from a top-down cooler. So really it's a fairly pointless way of blowing warm air all over the motherboard in a rather chaotic way, the only real benefit I can see is that you avoid clearance issues with ram slots (I can't use the first slot with my Megahalems for instance), though if that matters a low profile 25mm fan will generally fix things.

At the end of the day though, even if you want the best the NH-C14 isn't that good a cooler; it isn't bad but it's really not that fantastic; plenty of airflow but not enough surface area on the heatsink itself. I'd grab a Prolimatech Supermega or Thermalright Venomos-X over the NH-C14.

Or you could go the easy way and grab a corsair H70.

Free ram slots, affordable, no hot air on stupid bits. But that's not to say a different cooler wont do the same and also leave ram slots open

This is ofcourse if you're not into blowing hundreds on water systems.

TL:DR

I haven't touched an aftermarket air cooler since socket A (462), So I'll only suggest stuff with liquid in it.

Free ram slots, affordable, no hot air on stupid bits. But that's not to say a different cooler wont do the same and also leave ram slots open

I haven't touched an aftermarket air cooler since socket A (462), So I'll only suggest stuff with liquid in it.

Or one of the XSPC Rasa setups, around $130 for a full CPU watercooling kit thats bound to be better than the Corsair H50/70.

TBH with SNB my overall thinking would be 'don't bother spending too nmuch on cooling' - the H50 and H70 are about the best solution there is for those concerned about mobo stress, but they are a bit expensive for cooling a 32nm quad.

The OCAU Thread on the Bridges of madison Sandy says that bother the 25K and 26K clock to 4.8 easy as pie on

"It appears that this thread is pointless as every single 2500k/2600k can do 4.8g stable with good air cooling. There is no golden batch like i7-920 3849a"

Just how far away from good air cooling is the standard fan?

I am running it @ 4.2 but that's getting kicked to 4.5 at least when I get home...

Just how far away from good air cooling is the standard fan?

I am running it @ 4.2 but that's getting kicked to 4.5 at least when I get home...

The standard cooler for the 2500K is a piece of rubbish, whilst the 2600K is decent (yet loud) and is probably only good until 4.5GHz or so.

"At the hot interface within a heat pipe, which is typically at a very low pressure, a liquid in contact with a thermally conductive solid surface turns into a vapor by absorbing the heat of that surface. The vapor condenses back into a liquid at the cold interface, releasing the latent heat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Heatsinks usually do have liquid in them :D

Seriously though, SB doesn't need a lot of cooling. If you like the looks of the Noctua you can't go too wrong; drop it down to their tower-style 'sink if you don't want all that extra bulk.

"At the hot interface within a heat pipe, which is typically at a very low pressure, a liquid in contact with a thermally conductive solid surface turns into a vapor by absorbing the heat of that surface. The vapor condenses back into a liquid at the cold interface, releasing the latent heat."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

Heatsinks usually do have liquid in them :D

Seriously though, SB doesn't need a lot of cooling. If you like the looks of the Noctua you can't go too wrong; drop it down to their tower-style 'sink if you don't want all that extra bulk.

Man, I knew someone would heatpipe own me!

Pretend they don't exist and my comment is great! -D

Or one of the XSPC Rasa setups, around $130 for a full CPU watercooling kit thats bound to be better than the Corsair H50/70.

this. for 130 bucks you wont get better performance. (unless you get a better rad obviously.)