nobodyishere

Hardware Bug in intel 6series chipset

Ironically I know no one at AMD but I do know people at Intel, they are always looking over their shoulders at what AMD are doing and striving to stay ahead. So yeah Cyber they are paranoid about AMD, have been for a long time.

Sounds like they're being competitive, not paranoid. Intel did not make this mistake by rushing out a product untested, nor was this caused by paranoia. It was an oversight which slipped through their standard testing procedures.

Oh it goes beyond competition believe me, it's just the way Intel are.

I'm never suggest Intel rushed anything out, their designs are superb and their fabs fantastic, but in the headlong rush that is modern technology these things happen, things slip past testing.

Cheers

I don't think AMD or Intel parts last longer, I have never had a CPU fail that I bought new or used.

I would say most motherboard failures cant be blamed on them either, especially when they use 3rd part chipsets such as Nvidia, or those crappy VIA and SIS chipsets.

The only reason why AMD boards used to fail more often was because they were cheaper and therefore of poor quality.

+1

There is no blanket rule that one lasts longer than the other

And just because darklife41 has had better experiences with Intel doesn't prove anything either

Baloney. Nobody is just ignorant.

And its not just my experience, as I've been reading about these things as part of my ongoing education since starting working with computers in the mid '80s. AMD's Durons and Thunderbirds had ridiculously high failure rates. AMD has been far less dependable than Intel's comparable Pentium 2, Pentium 3, and Pentium 4 (even with all the heat issues there were very few failures). Only a fool would try to argue differently.

I'll agree that those 3rd party chipsets were a big part of the problem with AMD in the old days, but I've seen far too many AMD CPUs fail (which were replaced and then worked for years), so it wasn't all about the chipsets either.

I don't know if AMD is just as dependable now as we don't build them anymore (other than special orders and we don't get many of those).

I wouldn't consider 1 person's experience as a valid trend either if they only built their own systems. I've been a system builder with shops in the USA and Australia since 1988 and 2002. We've built thousands of computers and repaired/serviced thousands more. I think we've done enough business (all of which was covered by 3 year warranties until recently (2009) when it changed to 2 years) to know if one major manufacturer has had more failures than another.

That's all data which has shown a trend. You can counter with other data - or back it up with more of the same. But to ignore it is to be ignorant. There are a lot of statisitics around to show that over the years Intel has been vastly superior to AMD for dependability. :-)

Baloney. Nobody is just ignorant.

And its not just my experience, as I've been reading about these things as part of my ongoing education since starting working with computers in the mid '80s. AMD's Durons and Thunderbirds had ridiculously high failure rates. AMD has been far less dependable than Intel's comparable Pentium 2, Pentium 3, and Pentium 4 (even with all the heat issues there were very few failures). Only a fool would try to argue differently.

I'll agree that those 3rd party chipsets were a big part of the problem with AMD in the old days, but I've seen far too many AMD CPUs fail (which were replaced and then worked for years), so it wasn't all about the chipsets either.

I don't know if AMD is just as dependable now as we don't build them anymore (other than special orders and we don't get many of those).

So the basis of your argument is that AMD cpu's from a decade ago were less reliable.

That's basically a lifetime in the tech world.

Things have changed a lot since then, I can't say I have ever seen someone say that their AMD processor has died in the last 5 years...

So, you don't have anything other than your experience as a systems builder?

I'm not saying it's not valuable, but it doesn't mean it's right.

Just to clarify, are you talking about CPU failures themselves, that are independent of failed MoBos?

Ignorant? How is Nobody ignorant? So no one is ignorant? Next time you wanna accuse me of wrong doings, use my name :)

I'd be ignorant if I had numerous failures with AMD chips and ignored them. Answer that if you can

What do you think of Asus and Gigabyte? In my opinion, they are the best in the business

However, 2 stores where I have worked have pretty different experiences. 1 will not use Gigabyte boards at all, as they have had numerous failures, and the other will never even order in anything Asus after a number of failures they had with their gear

But, just because 1 business believes that Asus is bad, DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY MEAN THAT ALL ASUS PRODUCTS ARE INFERIOR IN QUALITY TO OTHER BRANDS

Of thsoe businesses, one was opened in the early 1990's and is still run by a man who warked on computers in the 60's and 70's, and the other has been open for 5yrs, but run by another PC industry veteran

Another example. I found my AsRock board in 2004 to be shit, does this mean that all current AsRock boards are that too?

You stated that you do not build AMD PC's anymore, only on special occassions. Then how can you say AMD is bad, when you haven't built many of recent?

All I am saying is that there is no blanket rule of who is more reliable. The world of computing, is not black and white, as is life itself

You prefer Intel, I have no problem with this. But to say that becasue you think AMD is unreliable does not mean they are inferior to Intel. I've had fewer troubles with AMD, but that don't mean that AMD is always better than Intel

Also, the 1000's of PC's you have worked on are only a small sample of the total PC's. It would be silly of anyone to come to a conclusion on the reliabilty of the 2 companies discussed here with that fewer examples

If a business has trouble with a certain brand, then it is their choice who to use, but that don't mean all must use that

Hence, why I'm saying that just because you or I have had issues with both sides, does not mean we can come to a conclusion on who is best

You will get "bad eggs" from both baskets. Full stop

Edited by nobody813

So is this definitely just P67, or H67 also?

I was planning on building a new PC for my mother using a H67 board as her AMD machine just shit itself.

So the basis of your argument is that AMD cpu's from a decade ago were less reliable.

That's basically a lifetime in the tech world.

Things have changed a lot since then, I can't say I have ever seen someone say that their AMD processor has died in the last 5 years...

The basis of my argument to the blanket statement:

There is no blanket rule that one lasts longer than the other

is definitely that AMD cpus from a decade ago were well known to be less reliable. He didn't state "recently" so why would I change the entire context of that statement by qualifying it with a time frame for him? And why would you? I'm also guessing that you don't fix PCs for a living, because we've had a few failed AMD CPUs come in during the past year. :-)

So, you don't have anything other than your experience as a systems builder?

I'm not saying it's not valuable, but it doesn't mean it's right.

Just to clarify, are you talking about CPU failures themselves, that are independent of failed MoBos?

Right. Just my 30+ yrs experience with computers, repairing them, networking with others in the industry, and getting dozens of PC related newsletters and reading, reading, reading, and some more reading.

If a chipset took out a CPU, it was counted as a failed CPU, so the results may be slightly exaggerated from that point of view. As I said, I've replaced too many CPUs where the system has then continued to run for years, so its not all about the chipset. In those instances it was only the CPU which was faulty so no need to point fingers at the motherboard (not like the motherboard healed itself). :-)

I'd be ignorant if I had numerous failures with AMD chips and ignored them. Answer that if you can

I've had numerous failures with AMD chips and you've ignored that. Ignoring others' experiences counts just as much towards ignorance as ignoring your own experiences.

What do you think of Asus and Gigabyte?

We're not a retail store - as in we don't sell components under normal circumstances. So your example doesn't really apply to us. We started out selling both Intel and AMD, and did for quite a few years... before the problems with Nforce 4 and the S939 chips failing became a disaster for us. I knew of a few companies who continued selling AMD during that stretch and were forced to go under (hard to make a profit when all your time is spent dealing with RMA's). We saw all this and made a business decision to go with Intel exclusively, and luckily before we built too many S939s. It made sense then, and it makes sense now to stick with what has gotten us here. We're highly profitable - and winding down for retirement (the USA shop will be taken over by my son and the AU shop will cease to exist).

We use Gigabyte exclusively now (unless they ask for something else) because of their service, price, and usually 1st to get new features - in that order of importance to us. Asus used to be the best, but that was a long time ago and before the motherboard market matured. Asus's supplier support doesn't compare with Gigabyte's and that's huge (I'm lucky to get a replacement from Asus in 7 days, where Gigabyte suppliers replace it with a board off their shelf and deal with the RMA on their time instead of mine).

But truth be told, our USA shop gets many more custom orders than our AU shop. Less than half of our systems there are sold with Gigabyte or Asus boards.

We've had lemon models from both brands and in both countries. I really don't see motherboards as a comparison to CPUs. You've only ever had the choice of A or B for CPU. You've had many, many more options for motherboards for each CPU, and then chipsets (as pointed out crappy Via, Nvidia, SiS, etc.) for AMD because they weren't smart enough to insist on chips being made to spec the way Intel did. I suspect that motherboards will always fail more often than CPUs. And frankly, any shop owner who hasn't sold a bad batch of Asus and Gigabyte motherboards hasn't been stocking all the Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, or doesn't sell much. :-)

Ironic that having built 1000s and repaired 1000s more computers doesn't justify a "conclusion" for some members of this forum. Yet medical studies with much fewer participants are considered good enough to put drugs that can kill us on the shelves. Strange world we live in.. eh? :-)

Edited by darklife41

lets try to keep it on topic, less who has encounted X problems with X brand of cpus or motherboards.

this was suppose to be a discussion on intels latest 6 series chipsets with the hardware flaw/bug, its market reactions/consequences, consumer views, and last (maybe?) but not least, all the ramification's.

Here are a few interesting pics: HDTune - AIDA 64 and the windows system log. I don't know what to make of it as my system is performing extremely well. I have 4x SATA 3 ports on my motherboard so i have just moved all my storage devices onto those ports. So i'm in th clear until a replacement arrives.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by smakme7757

Ok i moved my 3 HDD and my SSD over to the 4x SATA 6Gbps ports and i have not seen a single system error yet. The error i mean is in my screenshot which is posted above. So i can say with 100% certaintiy my SATA 2 ports are faulty!

Edited by smakme7757

:)

Oh dear Lord, I didn't mean to take this off topic, I just made a comment.

In 2000 I built my kids some Christmas presents, Modded PCs based on Durons, five years later, and all they really do is surf they were still fine. My own machine then was AMD, never blipped, but no, I'm not a full-time builder, it's a sideline, mostly I fix networks, oversee big projects and build data centres. Been in computing 25 years plus and you simply see it come and go.

I've no need right now for a build, living on portables, when I do need one it will probably be Intel based, they always sort a problem out, but I won't be rushing. For my latest project, high-density containerised DCs I'm testing SGI against HP, both offer cpu choice, AMD is ahead just now, because of the way VM takes advantage of cores, and mid-year Intel will jump over them and then we'll see more leap-frog, is why our biz plan has two year tech refresh as a way to contain real-estate, the virtual world is different.

I am sure there are exceptions, in other industries (Ford springs to mind :) ) but in IT no company that makes a mess of it lasts long, Intel is the giant, AMD the quiet achiever.

I used to love Epox boards, can't even get them now, never had much time for Gigabyte, never had a problem with Asus, but my last very successful build was on Gigabyte and for those on a budget never had much trouble with Asrock. as I said, it's just a sideline for me, to keep my hand in, the mobo choice is more important than the cpu, and that's a jungle.

When I build servers, which is usually just for internal I used to go Tyan, and never had a problem, the next one, for a test rig, will be Intel, but I would not build servers to sell, as a business, I'll leave that to the build manufacturer, and they are ambivalent.

Horses for courses, or to put it another way everybody's shit stinks sometimes :)

Cheers

Yeah, I did get of topic. Ah well

Ok i moved my 3 HDD and my SSD over to the 4x SATA 6Gbps ports and i have not seen a single system error yet. The error i mean is in my screenshot which is posted above. So i can say with 100% certaintiy my SATA 2 ports are faulty!

That's one thing I'm unsure about, has anyone had any troubles yet? Apart from the guys at Intel who discovered it...

That's one thing I'm unsure about, has anyone had any troubles yet? Apart from the guys at Intel who discovered it...

Yes, the person you quoted seems to have that problem...

We're highly profitable - and winding down for retirement (the USA shop will be taken over by my son and the AU shop will cease to exist).

If you're highly profitable, why will the AU shop cease to exist?

Rob.

Yes, the person you quoted seems to have that problem...

Bah, misreading posts :P

That's the first I've seen of it then :)

Edited by nobody813

Just logged into PCCG, seems they have recalled all their 6 Series Mobo's, and aren't putting any more up for retail until the revisions arrive in April.

Link:http://pccasegear.com/

WTF do you do between now and bastarding April?

Do you have to give it back now because I aint giving shit back until I am handed a replacement.

In the interim what boards can Sandys use? None I am guessing...

found something that would help all atomicains who have p67/h67 gigabyte motherboards to see if something might be wrong with there SATA ports:

see here for more info:

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/...sata-check.html

and download link for the program here:

http://filefactory.com/file/b545152/n/67SfCK.ZIP

hope this helps!

found something that would help all atomicains who have p67/h67 gigabyte motherboards to see if something might be wrong with there SATA ports:

see here for more info:

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/02/...sata-check.html

and download link for the program here:

http://filefactory.com/file/b545152/n/67SfCK.ZIP

hope this helps!

Doesnt inform you if you have one of the bad chips, just helps you to prioritize sata device :/.

We're highly profitable - and winding down for retirement (the USA shop will be taken over by my son and the AU shop will cease to exist).

Rob.

Did you really need to ask that question?

I tell you what I'm pretty fkn unimpressed at the idea of having to build a computer that'll be obsolete nearly immediately because of this rubbish.

Paying the same price for old gear isn't cool at all.

What's more annoying is that I have been waiting until this month to buy a SB build. Now on the verge of having enough money stashed away to purchase, this news comes out. Guess I'll just have to settle for a while, and upgrade the other components. Then get an X68 build instead perhaps lol.

Not too keen to just use 2 out of 6 SATA ports, I'd prefer to get what I pay for. So unfortunate for Intel though..

dont take it personally nobody813, im just saying, the thread was getting dangerously close to offtopic with the debate of "reliable cpus" and peoples experience with a certain brand having more dead ones then the other.

And the borderline personal attack by a certain someone (it came across to me that way, others might as well, its not exactly well worded). Dont want to scare people off from posting in this thread. :)

@smakme7757: holy crap thats alot of errors, do you remeber roughly how long you had the drives connected to the 3gbps ports when you did those tests? so all those errors accumulated over ??mins?

Did you really need to ask that question?

I do. Generally, if you have a highly profitable business, you sell it.

Heck, darklife41, take this post as a $50 bid for your highly profitable business.

Rob.

Edited by robzy