nobodyishere

Hardware Bug in intel 6series chipset

dont take it personally nobody813, im just saying, the thread was getting dangerously close to offtopic with the debate of "reliable cpus" and peoples experience with a certain brand having more dead ones then the other.

And the borderline personal attack by a certain someone (it came across to me that way, others might as well, its not exactly well worded). Dont want to scare people off from posting in this thread. :)

@smakme7757: holy crap thats alot of errors, do you remeber roughly how long you had the drives connected to the 3gbps ports when you did those tests? so all those errors accumulated over ??mins?

I got my parts two weeks ago so it's since then. I changed to the 6Gbps ports after i made the post.

I do. Generally, if you have a highly profitable business, you sell it.

Heck, darklife41, take this post as a $50 bid for your highly profitable business.

Rob.

You have to keep in mind the guy is retireing and highly profitable might not mean millions or even hundred of thousands, but rather a modest living. Regardless of how much money the business makes selling takes time and effort and it's not uncommon for people just to shut shop and move on to retirement.

Edited by smakme7757

You have to keep in mind the guy is retireing and highly profitable might not mean millions or even hundred of thousands, but rather a modest living. Regardless of how much money the business makes selling takes time and effort and it's not uncommon for people just to shut shop and move on to retirement.

You're right, it's not uncommon for people just to shut shop and move on to retirement. But I'm having trouble reconciling "highly profitable" with it's-not-worth-the-time-and-effort to sell it.

The fact it's only supporting people on a modest living, and isn't performing stellar enough to be worth selling, suggests that "highly profitable" is a bit of a stretch. Might be worth keeping that in mind before using it to bolster your opinion.

Rob.

We're highly profitable - and winding down for retirement (the USA shop will be taken over by my son and the AU shop will cease to exist).

If you're highly profitable, why will the AU shop cease to exist?

Rob.

You're right, it's not uncommon for people just to shut shop and move on to retirement. But I'm having trouble reconciling "highly profitable" with it's-not-worth-the-time-and-effort to sell it.

The fact it's only supporting people on a modest living, and isn't performing stellar enough to be worth selling, suggests that "highly profitable" is a bit of a stretch. Might be worth keeping that in mind before using it to bolster your opinion.

Rob.

Ah, my stalker finally makes an appearance. I knew I couldn't post in a thread without you adding an insult or 2. Oh well, nice to see that you're doing what you do best and the mods are asleep at the wheel as usual. :-)

Our businesses have always been family owned/operated. Its personal for us. Our logo will always be tied to us and our reputation. That's not for sale and never will be. Its not likely something that you'll ever be able to comprehend as our value systems are obviously much different. I have self respect and my old fashioned morals don't allow me to insult others for no good reason. Its called class. You.... well, your posts speak volumes to the level of your class.

On a side note, I hang around occasionally in a Yahoo pool room where you'd fit in well. All the kids have non-stop insults contests in the chat room. Frankly, I think you'd need to work on your material to compete, but if you enjoy it so much it might be worth the learning curve. :-)

Rob.

If the guy feels his business is highly profitable i don't think your in any position to disagree with him. Highly profitable to him might be sweet bugger all to you, but at the end of the day he is working for himself and from his posts it seems he is passionate about his work.

I just feel your oppinion is ungrounded and disrespectful.

I would ignore him Darklife. Whilst I don't agree on everything you say, Robzy has no right to say what hes said.

Fuck im surprised he didnt post some reddit links in here to back himself up.

This thread has gone way off topic as it is.

it seems he is passionate about his work.

And if passion were dollars and cents I'd be a millionaire :P

I just feel your oppinion is ungrounded and disrespectful.

He used his "highly profitable" business to add credibility to his argument, to bolster it. This means opening yourself up to scrutiny. Usually investigating such a claim is worthless, and I wouldn't have bothered, but what caught my eye was that he said something in the very same post which seemed to conflict with his claim.

All this being said, I'm sure that it's quite a successful business. And I have no grounds whatsoever to question its authority nor darklife's contribution to it's success. It's worth pointing that out.

Ah, my stalker finally makes an appearance. I knew I couldn't post in a thread without you adding an insult or 2. Oh well, nice to see that you're doing what you do best and the mods are asleep at the wheel as usual. :-)

I should point out that my very first post on your claims wasn't trying to say you were fibbing about the business being "highly profitable", I asked a simple question about two seemingly conflicting statements in your post: "If you're highly profitable, why will the AU shop cease to exist?" Nothing disrespectful, and nothing other than a straight-shooting "I'm confused about these two points" question. Perhaps the answer was that you were lying about it being "highly profitable," or perhaps there was an entirely other explanation. I wasn't going to know until I asked, though.

Our businesses have always been family owned/operated. Its personal for us. Our logo will always be tied to us and our reputation.

I'm not quite sure how I can say this in a manner that won't appear condescending: But you know that you can sell a business without it's logo/name/etc.? Granted it's likely not as valuable as it would be with the branding, but it still comes complete with a profitable mix of employees, suppliers, premises, etc, and most importantly client lists. Usually very valuable assets if they come from a "highly profitable" business.

Perhaps it's that the main valuable asset of the business is the branding? If so this could've been cleared up pretty quickly in reply to "If you're highly profitable, why will the AU shop cease to exist?" rather than accusing me of disrespecting and insulting you. And there's certainly nothing wrong with the main valuable asset of the business being branding, if anything it's quite a respectable quality. Especially in the PC arena considering peoples purchasing-preference for price over people.

In summary: If you're going to use your "highly profitable" business to backup your claims on the internet, be prepeared for it to be scrutinised. Especially in the very same post you note that "the AU shop will cease to exist" when the owner leaves. And at the very least, don't be too offended when someone asks "If you're highly profitable, why will the AU shop cease to exist?" because it's an unusual occurance and therefore a valid question.

I tell you what I'm pretty fkn unimpressed at the idea of having to build a computer that'll be obsolete nearly immediately because of this rubbish.

Paying the same price for old gear isn't cool at all.

Unfortunately it doesn't just screw consumers, either, I can't imagine that Intel are none-too-impressed about not being able to sell motherboards (and consequentially CPUs) for a while. Not to mention the PR. It really does suck all 'round.

Rob.

Edited by robzy

I would ignore him Darklife. Whilst I don't agree on everything you say, Robzy has no right to say what hes said.

Fuck im surprised he didnt post some reddit links in here to back himself up.

This thread has gone way off topic as it is.

I'm as guilty as anyone for taking it off-topic and I apologize for that. :-)

@smakme7757

ah okay, that amount over 2weeks, its interesting, did you find that the errors where increasing at a faster rate the longer you used the ports, or was it pretty consistent error rate?

@smakme7757

ah okay, that amount over 2weeks, its interesting, did you find that the errors where increasing at a faster rate the longer you used the ports, or was it pretty consistent error rate?

I had not even checked before i came across a post at Xtrememsystems which said you should have a look at your SMART data and system log. So i have no idea. The only thing i know is that all my drives have been performing extremely well and i have not had any loss in performance dispite the errors. To be honest, had i never checked the SMART data or system log i would have never thought anything was playing up.

Although i wonder how many of those errors are related to overclocking the system and having the drives shutdown without warning?

I did move my SSD back to the Intel SATA 3 port as the Marvell port gave aweful performance on the writes. I didn't take a screen shot but here is a quick rundown:

Marvel chipset SATA 3:

Write = 150 Average

Read = 250 Average

Intel SATA 3:

Write = 245 Average

Read = 255 Average

I've noticed that the Marvel chipset is using a generic MS driver from 2006, but i can't find anything on their website or Gigabytes relating to any sort of driver download.

Edited by smakme7757

@smakme7757

I had not even checked before i came across a post at Xtrememsystems which said you should have a look at your SMART data and system log. So i have no idea. The only thing i know is that all my drives have been performing extremely well and i have not had any loss in performance dispite the errors. To be honest, had i never checked the SMART data or system log i would have never thought anything was playing up.

Although i wonder how many of those errors are related to overclocking the system and having the drives shutdown without warning?

I did move my SSD back to the Intel SATA 3 port as the Marvell port gave aweful performance on the writes. I didn't take a screen shot but here is a quick rundown:

Marvel chipset SATA 3:

Write = 150 Average

Read = 250 Average

Intel SATA 3:

Write = 245 Average

Read = 255 Average

I've noticed that the Marvel chipset is using a generic MS driver from 2006, but i can't find anything on their website or Gigabytes relating to any sort of driver download.

damn, thats a huge difference in write speed, i wonder why writes are so slow on the marvel port.

:)

Find the bottleneck, doubt it's the port, unless it's the bug, USB is essentially synchronous. ( Not quite the way oi claims, but close, downstream issue.)

Cheers

:)

Find the bottleneck, doubt it's the port, unless it's the bug, USB is essentially synchronous. ( Not quite the way oi claims, but close, downstream issue.)

Cheers

The bug only affects the Intel SATA 2 ports and do you mean SATA is essentially synchronous?

I don't see how it can't be the port, same drive, same cable, same OS. The only thing i can think of is a BIOS settnigs that might affect it which i will have to look at.

Edited by smakme7757

No not really, it's all on the same bus essentially, I was just noting that all ports that are serial should in theory be synchronous but its not really the case, depends on a great many factors.

Those are some big differences though and yes, I'd be seeing what's up in the BIOS.

Board design is a very complex affair, and there are always differences, for example in theory there is no such thing as slot sensitivity as in any peripheral card should work in any compatible slot, but I've seen so many cases where NICs for example don't work in one PCI slot but do in another but a different card with a different function works fine in the one the NIC did not like.

Go figure.

One of the oddest I ever saw was a business partner whose build worked fine sitting naked but would not start in a case, and no it was not a grounding error, we never did figure it out, he just ran it out on his desk until he got time to build another.

But to return to topic I saw the bug for the first time two days ago, not a machine I built, a mate who likes being out on the bleeding edge, he's fuming and the board has been RMA'd leaving him working on a netbook, not happy Jan....

Cheers

@smakme7757

Marvel chipset SATA 3:

Write = 150 Average

Read = 250 Average

Intel SATA 3:

Write = 245 Average

Read = 255 Average

I get the same Intel SATA 3 speeds, and with the Marvel Chipset:

Write = 145 Average

Read = 222 Average

Plus it takes longer to boot with the marvell chipset

@smakme7757

Marvel chipset SATA 3:

Write = 150 Average

Read = 250 Average

Intel SATA 3:

Write = 245 Average

Read = 255 Average

I get the same Intel SATA 3 speeds, and with the Marvel Chipset:

Write = 145 Average

Read = 222 Average

Plus it takes longer to boot with the marvell chipset

That's interesting thanks for letting me now.

I tell you what I'm pretty fkn unimpressed at the idea of having to build a computer that'll be obsolete nearly immediately because of this rubbish.

Paying the same price for old gear isn't cool at all.

Unfortunately it doesn't just screw consumers, either, I can't imagine that Intel are none-too-impressed about not being able to sell motherboards (and consequentially CPUs) for a while. Not to mention the PR. It really does suck all 'round.

Rob.

In fact, if it's like the nVidia 8600M issues, Intel might be sued by their own insurance for failure to disclose.

But that seems unlikely. They've handled it about 1000 times better than nVidia did (ie by lying about it).

So are there any ETA's on resolving this issue yet? Or clarification if it's P67, H67 or both?

There are literally no pre-P67/H67 mini ITX boards capable of what I need, I can't build until this is resolved without using some crappy AMD CPU.

So are there any ETA's on resolving this issue yet? Or clarification if it's P67, H67 or both?

Everything i've read says all 6-series (P67 & H67) and expecting to have stock available in April.

I'm hoping they're using April as a worst case scenario and manage to get stock available well before then.

ASUS and MSI have announced their P67/H67 replacement plans (actually it seems they did a while back). They're expecting you to fork out again if you want to have a computer while they ship out the replacement board to you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4154/asus-ms...cement-programs

I'll be buying Gigabyte come my next upgrade.

Edited by philo-sofa

ASUS and MSI have announced their P67/H67 replacement plans (actually it seems they did a while back). They're expecting you to fork out again if you want to have a computer while they ship out the replacement board to you: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4154/asus-ms...cement-programs

Why? Reading that has made me want to make sure I don't get gigaybte.

They're not charging you money, they're taking a security charge on your CC, like a hotel would. So you sign up, give Asus your CC number, and have $200 (for example) unavailable until they receive back your motherboard and make sure the numbers match the recall.

Or if you have gigabyte, you can take it into your PC store you bought it from, they'll take your mobo, and then they'll call you when they get the replacements in April.

I'll be buying Asus who are dealing directly with their customers and giving them this option rather than gigabyte who have washed their hands of their customers and are making you the problemof your retailer.

Why? Reading that has made me want to make sure I don't get gigaybte.

They're not charging you money, they're taking a security charge on your CC, like a hotel would. So you sign up, give Asus your CC number, and have $200 (for example) unavailable until they receive back your motherboard and make sure the numbers match the recall.

Or if you have gigabyte, you can take it into your PC store you bought it from, they'll take your mobo, and then they'll call you when they get the replacements in April.

I'll be buying Asus who are dealing directly with their customers and giving them this option rather than gigabyte who have washed their hands of their customers and are making you the problemof your retailer.

I prefer Gigabytes method. I wait until April, walk into the store and do a direct swap over. Who said you had to send it in early?. That's how my place of purchase is handling this issue. It's an online retailer, but they have a pickup point where i live. So it's a direct swap on the day, i couldn't be happier.

Edited by smakme7757

If your retailer wants to play ball. I can't imagine the plethora of cheap asian PC stores being too happy about it.

A few comments in that thread linked from people saying their store would take the mobo now, but wouldn't extend their return policy to april.

If your retailer wants to play ball. I can't imagine the plethora of cheap asian PC stores being too happy about it.

A few comments in that thread linked from people saying their store would take the mobo now, but wouldn't extend their return policy to april.

All the major stores in Norway are doing this (Allowing you to use the board until they get replacments). Anyway Gigabyte pays the bill which Intel then refunds them, so i don't see why a store wouldn't want to do this, they don't loose any money by swapping boards in April and they gain nothing by having them sent in early apart from taking up warehouse space.

Edited by smakme7757