nobodyishere

Hardware Bug in intel 6series chipset

Why? Reading that has made me want to make sure I don't get gigaybte.

They're not charging you money, they're taking a security charge on your CC, like a hotel would. So you sign up, give Asus your CC number, and have $200 (for example) unavailable until they receive back your motherboard and make sure the numbers match the recall.

They're charging you again for their faulty board (true it's not their fault, but it is their responsibility) and refunding you the second purchase when they get the original back. Disagreeing that that's the case and saying 'you have the money unavailable' seems a bit disingenuous

Or if you have gigabyte, you can take it into your PC store you bought it from, they'll take your mobo, and then they'll call you when they get the replacements in April.

It seems you haven't really read the article thoroughly. You can take the board in once replacemnts are available.

I'll be buying Asus who are dealing directly with their customers and giving them this option rather than gigabyte who have washed their hands of their customers and are making you the problemof your retailer.

No, Gigabyte has gone through the painstaking process of liasing with all their distributors, and through them all their retailers and arranging for the consumer to be able to swap boards with them once replacements are there, thus removing any delay - this is probably at significant cost to Gigabyte financially and/or in terms of their distributor relationships. ASUS and MSI have simply said, 'nah you have to give us the board back directly' thus putting all the onus and effort on the consumer.

If your retailer wants to play ball. I can't imagine the plethora of cheap asian PC stores being too happy about it.

A few comments in that thread linked from people saying their store would take the mobo now, but wouldn't extend their return policy to april.

They're actually required to do this if they want to maintain a business relationship with Gigabyte afaik. It's not Giabytes fault that some shops are reluctant, or that they're doing their best to push a more convenient alternative.

So to sum up, the faulty boards are still being sold? But with Gigabyte we can strip the PC down, remove the mobo and get it replaced?

Why are the faulty ones still being sold?

Or if I got a current board I could plug a hdd and a dvd/rw in the 2 sata 3ports and have no problems?

Edited by Director

I'm glad the faulty ones are still being sold.

Will most likely buy an Asus tomorrow, and use the CC exchange when it's available.

Can't wait 2 months for a new PC, but wont be using the SATA 2 ports anyway.

Yeah I'm in the same boat I have to build one for someone else but I can get away with not using the SATA2 ports.

Does anyone know what the failure percentage is anyway? Is it ALL the chips or just some?

FWIW

http://www.chillblast.com/pages.php?pageid=91

Chillblast News

Printable version

Chillblast Position on the P67 chipset flaw. 2nd February

Intel has identified a potential issue that may affect a small number of customers using its P67 and H67 chipsets within their PCs. This corresponds to all customers who have ordered a PC using a Sandy Bridge processor. The problem relates to the SATA II ports on the motherboard; SATA III ports remain unaffected. In approximately 5% of situations a failure on the SATA II port may occur. We stress that this does not represent potential risk to your disk drives or other hardware.

Intel’s official position has been to recall the chipsets, however our motherboard partner Asus has elected to continue selling the boards with a disclaimer that the SATA II have the potential to degrade in a small percentage of situations. To this end we will be selling Sandy Bridge system as normal, ensuring that this disclaimer is clearly visible to our customers, and we will be taking extra steps to ensure that where possible the SATA II ports are not used.

It is our advice that customers interested in a Sandy Bridge PC proceed with their order as planned. We will attach all hard drives to SATA III ports in each system, leaving only optical storage devices on the SATA II ports. Optical drives are used far less frequently than hard disks and at a much lower speed and utilisation percentage. The likelihood of failure in this situation, given the problem seems to be cumulative, is very small indeed. Any SATA problems relating to the P67 will be fully covered under warranty as normal.

Edited by Director

I couldn't resist.

:P

I knew it'd be something to do with Tacoma Narrows before I unblocked Flash to watch it. Surely AMD fanboys could do better than that?

(Of course, if they had the knowledge, they would probably have decent processors on the market by now)

/troll :P

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

(Of course, if they had the knowledge, they would probably have decent processors on the market by now)

/troll :P

(Maybe they do already... But software and benchmarketing made from Intel Compilers run de-optimized code on their processors? When they aren't having OEM's bribed not to buy them of course.)

In the past Intel did do something pretty slack and evil things to try and obliterate AMD in the competition. I guess this is karma., big karma. :D