Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Hoonbernator

Open Hardware Monitor

I have to admit I'm a bandit for hardware monitoring software, with a weakness for customisable output to LCD (such as my G15 keyboard.)

I've been digging round the internets and found a little open-sourse gem called 'Open Hardware Monitor'.

Check it out: http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

It's got a really tidy customisbale gadget for windows which now lives on my desktop.

(I know it doesn't support G15 in itself, but it has code that you can use to take monitoring reads from it, in much the way that G15 Speedfan does from Speedfan. If I could code more than an excel equation I'd write such an app...)

If it exposes an API of some sort, you could write a simple plugin for LCD Studio to take readings from it and display them on the G15.

if your looking for somthing to monitor your temps and what not and output to a g15 try everst you can arrange any reading to anywhere and the lcd

eg. mine is set up sorta like this

CPU:4000 MHZ, 100% 40C 40C

RAM: G 1024, C 6144 40C 40C

GPU: 875,1588,100% S/M: 40c/40c

if your looking for somthing to monitor your temps and what not and output to a g15 try everst you can arrange any reading to anywhere and the lcd

eg. mine is set up sorta like this

CPU:4000 MHZ, 100% 40C 40C

RAM: G 1024, C 6144 40C 40C

GPU: 875,1588,100% S/M: 40c/40c

But Everest is no longer free... I want a program that's going to grow with the times whilst remaining free.

I've setup my G15 SpeedFan a bit like that, but with voltages and fan speeds in there too.

If it exposes an API of some sort, you could write a simple plugin for LCD Studio to take readings from it and display them on the G15.

I know they've done an API for this sort of thing, but I have no idea how to write any type of plugin...

I have played around with LCD Studio before, but from a graphical output perspective, nothing more complex than that.

Is it easy to sort out, or will I have to have an understanding of some sort of API code?

Wait a minute, this looks exactly like HWMonitor

I personally use that, and I like it. If this is a copy of that, it should be good :P

Hey,

That's neat, had been looking around myself for something to do that properly, thanks.

Cheers

This is a sweet program.

I've had it running for the last 2 days while I've been gaming and its so easy to check how hot everything has been getting.

Especially because I'm on water, I can tell my loop is doing a good job without having to open 3-4 different apps.

I personally use that, and I like it. If this is a copy of that, it should be good :P

Seems to hook in to more sensors than HWmonitor.

Or maybe its just my PC... will have to try it out when I get home.

-A-

Seems to hook in to more sensors than HWmonitor.

Or maybe its just my PC... will have to try it out when I get home.

-A-

That's what I found. Some programs don't capture the key bits I'm after, this one does and it takes up next to no desktop space when you shrink the font on the gadget. (It reads the temps, fans, loads etc from my motherboard and my 4870 & 4890 crossfire setup perfectly.) That and it will start on bootup, minimised, in windows 7!

how do u config the gadget?

In the normal view with all the sensor data (ie not the gadget) you can label sensors (good to replace "fan0" with "CPU Fan" and so on) by simply right clicking on that reading. You then right click it again and select show on Gadget. Then whooshka... neat and tidy.

Edited by Hoonbernator

It could be that it's a clone, it could also be, given OpenHardwareMonitor is open-source, that HWMonitor is a commercial fork of OpenHardwareMonitor.

That would have been my guess too, though i thought being open source meant that it wasn't to be sold (wasn't there some sort of changes made to the licensing?).

Liecense details of Open Hardware Monitor : http://openhardwaremonitor.org/license.php

I couldn't find any licensing details for HWMonitor...

Does look incredibly similar.

Though OHM has a graphing feature HWM doesn't. Apparent hardware support list is also more fully featured on HWM's side.

It could be that it's a clone, it could also be, given OpenHardwareMonitor is open-source, that HWMonitor is a commercial fork of OpenHardwareMonitor.

That would have been my guess too, though i thought being open source meant that it wasn't to be sold (wasn't there some sort of changes made to the licensing?).

Liecense details of Open Hardware Monitor : http://openhardwaremonitor.org/license.php

I couldn't find any licensing details for HWMonitor...

Nothing says you can't sell open-source software. Absolutely nothing. Heck, RMS made lots of money selling copies of gcc in the early days of the FSF. Canonical raise a lot of revenue selling versions of Ubuntu with commercial support. Red Hat's entire business is about selling Linux, as is Novell. They sell distributions of Linux, and the support contracts that go with them. VMWare ESX Server is basically, a heavily customised Linux distribution. Chances are you're using a router that runs Linux, were you given its firmware? Nope. You were sold the firmware along with the device.