UberPenguin

Surround Headphones

Pretty soon (as we will soon start living together) my computer will be in a "computer room" with 2 other computers. It’s essentially for network games, which we all enjoy playing a fair amount. The biggest problem I can see so far is that we all love our surround sound in games and the idea of going back to 2 channel is killing me (I've been playing with some Sennheiser canalphones). I also kinda think it could get cacophonous with 3 5.1 sets going at once.

So I was wondering if there were any REAL surround headsets (not 2 speakers pretending) with decent sound quality. I’m really not keen on synthetic surround as all of the attempts I have heard are pointless and don’t give any real sense of positioning. So something not too expencive, that gave decent quality sound and have a good surround effect.

I realise that this may actually not exist and I might have to just get a logitech surround unit..

Edited by UberPenguin

Ive toyed with the idea of building little sound proof booths for the spare room. That could be an option, but its a little expensive.

As for surround headphones.. I have no idea, I have some Zalman 5.1 phones I got years ago which have 3 speakers on each side sort of like this: (o( O )o)

And it actualy worked pretty well. But they hurt like hell after a few hours.

How about http://www.psykoaudio.com/

Edited by Avliden

surround headphones are a total gimmick, they suck, they are heavy and uncomfortable and they suck.

I got myself a set of "Plantronics Gamecom 777 Surround Sound Gaming Headset USB "

and they are the tits.

little usb sound card that downmixes just great, with a decent set of headphones for an actually realistic price.

e:

also, due to the idea of psycho acoustics ( achieving positional sound by altering phase and volume)

having 2 speakers clamped to your ears often works better, if not as good as, multi speaker setups

Edited by clockworkman

I have to dissagree Clockworkman I have never had a 2 speaker "surround" setup come even close to even a normal set of 5.1 speakers.

Usually I would use my good quality costom boxes and dedicated amp but that'll be going in the home theatre area. So I guess it'll have to be something like this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15759 . One of us already has the previous model. It is pretty impressive for the price and works great for games. Just thought that if headphones could provide something as good it would be more convieniant.

Surround headphones are a gimmick.

An awesome pair of stereo headphones coupled with a nice sound card will get you better surround than any "Surround sound" headphones.

I agree with raxo55. Having had 'surround' headphones i nthe past, I found them more of a gimmick than anything. Get a good quality headphone set instead and spend the extra cash on that rather than the surround stuff which would be a waste of money mostly.

I'm actually in the market for good quality gaming grade headphones. As per the current Atomic edition I was thinking of the Sound Blaster Tactic3D Alpha. But I'll have to read more reviews.

Having said that, Creative are bringing out the Omega version which will apparently be compatible with PS3, Xbox360 and PC. Which might be worth the wait for those of us that have a PC and gaming consoles as well.

Edited by majestic975

I have to dissagree Clockworkman I have never had a 2 speaker "surround" setup come even close to even a normal set of 5.1 speakers.

That's why he said also, due to the idea of psycho acoustics ( achieving positional sound by altering phase and volume)

having 2 speakers clamped to your ears often works better, if not as good as, multi speaker setups

Where speakers clamped to your ears = headphones.

I have had two sets of surround sound headphones and frankly they are not worth it. As has been said a good set of stereo headphones work as well as if not better than surround sound headphones.

Pity my current ones are a bit crappy, but the lead on my Gamecom 777s broke so using a cheaper set till I get some new Gamecoms.

Where speakers clamped to your ears = headphones.

I have had two sets of surround sound headphones and frankly they are not worth it. As has been said a good set of stereo headphones work as well as if not better than surround sound headphones.

Pity my current ones are a bit crappy, but the lead on my Gamecom 777s broke so using a cheaper set till I get some new Gamecoms.

Why not save some money and just re-solder the broken cables? Can't be that hard, I've done cable replacements on headsets before.

I'd also question the benefit of multiple speakers so close together. You only have two ears, why do you need more than two speakers? About the only difference between headphones and a 5.1 speaker system is that the entire body is subjected to the pressure wave from the speakers, which maybe that is having a bigger impact than the fact that there are more speakers.

Why not save some money and just re-solder the broken cables? Can't be that hard, I've done cable replacements on headsets before.

Going to have a look at that as soon as I have time and can figure out how to open the phones up without snapping bits of plastic.Especially the mic.

Going to have a look at that as soon as I have time and can figure out how to open the phones up without snapping bits of plastic.Especially the mic.

If you can get at the padding and pull that off carefully, you may find that'll probably reveal a couple of screws.

I don't know if they count as surround headphones, (they sound 'surroundish' to me), but I've also got a set of Platronic Gamecom 777s.

Nice and chunky, (in appearance and sound), the USB sound card is an improvement over on-board imo, and the boom mic isn't too bad either.

I used to have a very basic set of Logitechs for gaming and Sennheisers for everything else; but they're both been relegated now.

I mainly play CS:S and use Vent/TS.

The only issue I have is that I can't really use my desk fan without annoying the shit out of everyone else, (but it's not as bad now as it was with the Logitechs).

Oh, that and nowadays they're about $30 less than what I paid for them... http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listn...2&sid=38810

However, considering that my now wife spent about twice as much on Sennheisers that don't sound as good in my non-audiophilic opinion, (which I had previously always coveted, but now believe are overpriced and mediocre), I'm pretty happy with my Gamecoms.

Edited by Periander