Corpus

Using HDMI instead of DVI

Hi guys,

I'm currently using DVI to connect to my monitor. Just wondering if I use the HDMI port, will the visuals be better or would they be the same.

All i know is that DVI and HDMI are both digital signals, just that HDMI has the additional sound added to it.

Cheers

Yep as cyber said, it will be the same, HDMI and DVI are both digital.

So unless theres something wrong with the DVI port on the monitor, HDMI won't look any different.

Also, depending on the res of the monitor HDMI can only do 1920x1080 whereas DVI can do 1920x1200 (higher with DVI Dual Link) Although I'm guessing your monitor is 1080p due to the fact that it has HDMI anyway.

Also, depending on the res of the monitor HDMI can only do 1920x1080 whereas DVI can do 1920x1200 (higher with DVI Dual Link) Although I'm guessing your monitor is 1080p due to the fact that it has HDMI anyway.

not true anything dvi can do hdmi can do better.

hdmi is just dvi with a digital sound channel and a different connected. actually because of the quality cables normally used in hdmi, hdmi cables normally support more bandwidth.

I have a REALLY dumb question.

Does that monitor even have an HDMI port? The specs page shows only DVI. I'm thinking they may have a newer one than what comes up in google...

I have a HDMI to DVI cable (On TV to my Mac Pro ) Outputs at 1080p.

Edited by 2SHY

not true anything dvi can do hdmi can do better.

hdmi is just dvi with a digital sound channel and a different connected. actually because of the quality cables normally used in hdmi, hdmi cables normally support more bandwidth.

-.-

HDMI 1.3 doesn't support resolutions above 1080p, just like DVI doesn't unless you use a Dual link cable. DVI can also do sound and its all digital, so theres no "quality" to speak of. It either has picture or it doesn't.

Edited by nukejockey

I have a HDMI to DVI cable (On TV to my Mac Pro ) Outputs at 1080p.

That's cool, I've done the same thing. But it doesn't change the signal, right?

So there is no advantage from a quality perspective.

I have a REALLY dumb question.

Does that monitor even have an HDMI port? The specs page shows only DVI. I'm thinking they may have a newer one than what comes up in google...

sorry its the G2412HD....wasn't at home when i posted.

So basically there is no difference. Awesome, I guess that will save me from buying a mini HDMI cable :)

HDMI 1.3 doesn't support resolutions above 1080p, just like DVI doesn't unless you use a Dual link cable. DVI can also do sound and its all digital, so theres no "quality" to speak of. It either has picture or it doesn't.

Every single thing you just wrote is wrong.

HDMI 1.3 was the first revision of the spec to support resolutions over 1080p.

Single link DVI supports 1200x1920@60Hz.

DVI spec doesn't allow for sending audio, so while it can be done it requires specific hardware support and it still needs (as I understand it) to connect to an HDMI receiver.

It is entirely possible to get partial or broken reception via digital cabling, or a dodgy cable that will limit the maximum resolution to below the rated spec.

I've always experienced worse quality on hdmi compared to dvi, but i think thats mainly because the screens i've used think that hdmi is form a tv and for some reason limit the resolution, DVI i find much more versatile.

Every single thing you just wrote is wrong.

HDMI 1.3 was the first revision of the spec to support resolutions over 1080p.

Single link DVI supports 1200x1920@60Hz.

DVI spec doesn't allow for sending audio, so while it can be done it requires specific hardware support and it still needs (as I understand it) to connect to an HDMI receiver.

It is entirely possible to get partial or broken reception via digital cabling, or a dodgy cable that will limit the maximum resolution to below the rated spec.

correct. Though your last point about resolution is kinda misleading. It still fall sback to 'it'll work, or it wont'. having a bad cable still wont affect the quality.

In short: No sound, same picture.

also just because nobody has mentioned it yet, if your hardware is capable of displayport then thats the best thing to use.