witcher01

Windows 8 Information ?

Who cares? When was the last time any of you used the start menu except to search for a application? The current account im working on is already planing on pushing out windows 8 to users and we will be also replacing out iphone fleet with windows 8 phones.

Try using it before judging it I really enjoy it.

Uh, I use it daily...

I keep all the office app's pinned so I can quickly access documents.

Also the other problem I have with it is they have changed the video card driver model once again, so now my 4890's can't use the latest drivers (yes AMD could make new drivers if they wanted..).

Who cares? When was the last time any of you used the start menu except to search for a application?

Constantly, even if to just type in the name of a programme in the "search programs and files" box.

Who cares? When was the last time any of you used the start menu except to search for a application?

Constantly, even if to just type in the name of a programme in the "search programs and files" box.

Can still be done. Just start typing while at the start screen. And the options are better for filtering the results - apps, settings, files.

Ill be using Window 8 when it arrives. I'll give it a year and see how it goes. If i'm severely unimpressed i'll move back to Windows 7.

Windows 8 is changing the paradigm we are all used too so the reactions in this thread aren't really a surprise. I'm keen to give it a go anyhow!

1 thing that annoys me is Metro applications don't close; they run in the background

If it's smart like OS X Lion/Mountain Lion, then this isn't a bad thing. Lion/Mountain Lion has applications running in thebackground, but kills the process/suspends to HDD when another application needs the resources. This means that you can open a previously used app and it'll be there instantly as you left it, rather than having to initialise all over again.

To be honest, it's one fewer thing I have to worry about (I don't give a hoot about how many processes are running, if the OS is smart enough to kill them when necessary). I like using a computer to get stuff done or to entertain myself. Managing processes manually neither gets stuff done or is entertaining, it's just something I've always had to do and do out of habit.

You might call it 'REMOVING CONTROL from USERS', I call it the OS being smart and dealing with all the tedious bull, and letting me get on with what I actually want to use the computer for.

Wait, what?

You have to pay a fee and get approval for "metro" (now windows 8 ui style?) apps, not windows classic app's.

MS is skating on thin ice though, I'm sure the EU won't take kindly to this forced app store in Win 8.

I don't think any OS should force users to use a single source for app's IMO.

Apple wants to do it, heck even Ubuntu is moving to that. Not saying it's a good thing (I don't like it), but everyone else is as well

Apple wants to do it, heck even Ubuntu is moving to that. Not saying it's a good thing (I don't like it), but everyone else is as well

Mostly, I share your trepidation, but I can see at least one good aspect: there is a single point to check for malware and infection. If the people providing the market also screen the stuff offered there, it's a great thing for the end user.

Mostly, I share your trepidation, but I can see at least one good aspect: there is a single point to check for malware and infection. If the people providing the market also screen the stuff offered there, it's a great thing for the end user.

The biggest security flaw in any OS is the user. Having a centralised market will not stop malware infecting PCs. Remember, these people still have a web browser.

The biggest security flaw in any OS is the user. Having a centralised market will not stop malware infecting PCs. Remember, these people still have a web browser.

I didn't say it would stop it. I did imply that it might help.

If there's a way to install software outside of the app store (which one day may not be the case), I'll be happy. But, for Ubuntu at least, I still use it's software centre, as most of it is free software any way, and I don't think Canonical takes a cut of any profits (not sure on that)

Reading the ZDNET news on Windows8 it seems Microsoft wants to force PC users either onto a MAC or Linux Platform. Windows8 was purely designed for the Tablet and Smartphone. With the upcoming ARC and Surface technology Microsoft are moving away from General users to more state of the art Users such as those who use Tablets and such.

So it seems the days of PC users are coming to an End with Windows Platforms.

Reading the ZDNET news on Windows8 it seems Microsoft wants to force PC users either onto a MAC or Linux Platform. Windows8 was purely designed for the Tablet and Smartphone. With the upcoming ARC and Surface technology Microsoft are moving away from General users to more state of the art Users such as those who use Tablets and such.

So it seems the days of PC users are coming to an End with Windows Platforms.

I want that special purple crack your smoking.

Windows8 was purely designed for the Tablet and Smartphone. With the upcoming ARC and Surface technology Microsoft are moving away from General users to more state of the art Users such as those who use Tablets and such.

Well, that's what world+dog has been saying for months. Looks like we're about to witness the self-destruction of an industry giant, because that just isn't going to happen. Business will stick with what they have, which is already legacy in any cases, or move to Mac if buying new, and they're the big money part of the market - not us piddly little gamers. And I can't see gamers shifting en masse either - touchscreen is great for some things, but I can't even begin to imagine how you could control something like X3 with one.

Well, I took a play with the business side of Windows 8 briefly. Yes, it is a pain initially but it doesn't have the sort of hate others have been spouting for the desktop version. If anything, the business version is quite easy for idiots in cubicles to understand...

'Initially' being every time you restart?

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc...-8-only-1091420

Windows 8 can't boot to desktop, in-app purchases on Windows Phone 8 only

Phone developers get a new Dev Center, while desktop users can't bypass tiles

I would imagine that would fubar quite a lot of operations, given the usual method for fixing anything begins with a 3-finger salute. And that's even before considering compatibility issues. (I have a few programs that won't work in W7, despite 'compatibility mode' settings - I doubt W8 will be any better)

I am confused as to where PC users are going to go from here. We will have no OS support in the future or anything to do with the gaming world. That Windows8 was purely to push the business of Microshaft up the Notch. Looking at an Apple computer i shuddered to think what will happen to all the games we cannot play on that platform and why it looks so ancient. Even the Tablets have no power to run games or anything usable to a PC Gamer. Must we now think about buying a XBOX with a Keyboard and try and get gaming this way ,for now we seem ok. But what happens after 2012 in 2013 will the PC world finally come to an End.

Linux is way to complex for most users and constantly updating it and rebuilding it a really technical for the average user.

We PC Users have been FUDGED by MicroShaft.

Now you're just being over the top, PC gaming is not going anywhere.

Classic desktop mode will still exist.

Also you will still be able to "downgrade" your Win 8 key to windows 7.

If windows 8 does flop expect to see a return to a Win 7 type OS.

^This. Mostly.

I'm expecting more things to break under W8 than have already under W7, even in desktop mode and whatever compatibility settings are available. I'm also expecting that MS are about to have a bigger foot-shooting than ever before - one which may well hurt their share price. But unless they do that two or three in a row, it's not going to kill them.

^This. Mostly.

I'm expecting more things to break under W8 than have already under W7, even in desktop mode and whatever compatibility settings are available. I'm also expecting that MS are about to have a bigger foot-shooting than ever before - one which may well hurt their share price. But unless they do that two or three in a row, it's not going to kill them.

I was reading that MS have broken all contracts with PC Vendors to move up too Windows 8 and its technology. So you will not be seeing stickers on the back of ready made computers either. Just hope they keep Windows 7 going and supporting it.