witcher01

Windows 8 Information ?

Hey, I'm finding the Windows 8 RTM doesn't like Virtual Box very much. It's very unstable.

Oracle do say it's unsupported I guess.

Do give it 2GB of RAM and 2 CPUs to make it remotely usable under Virtual Box.

Edited by Jeruselem

Looks like Virtual Box 4.1.20 is a bit better for W8 RTM.

IE10 is really unstable!

Edited by Jeruselem

I get a free copy on the 25th through the Dreamspark program :D Yay for me.

Me too. That's why I want to work out whether to bother, since my SSD will come in around then, so I need to fresh install. But if there's no real advantage sans Metro, I'll stick with Windows 7.

I get a free copy on the 25th through the Dreamspark program :D Yay for me.

Me too. That's why I want to work out whether to bother, since my SSD will come in around then, so I need to fresh install. But if there's no real advantage sans Metro, I'll stick with Windows 7.

Yea i'm in the same boat.

I might give it a month and see what other people say, but at the end of the day i know i'm going to install it. I own Acronis so i might install it on release day just to try it out :)

I think its pretty cool im getting used it with dual screens I've got it installed on an ssd currently that I pulled out of a Toshiba notebook I scored on ebay cheap I'm enjoying it.

it was bit confusing to use at first then if I treat Windows 8 like my Windows phone 7, it makes sense.

I think its pretty cool im getting used it with dual screens I've got it installed on an ssd currently that I pulled out of a Toshiba notebook I scored on ebay cheap I'm enjoying it.

But does it provide any advantage? I use my PC to get work done, I don't have time to fuck around with a new OS if it offers nothing substantial.

Not really to be honest switching between vm's, white papers a browser and exsi's console has been pretty easy im a sucka for the little animations though.

I might put in my netbook. I don't do much on it other than download videos and surf forums.

Edited by Jeruselem

Lots of people at uni have been installing windows 8 (Got the enterprise ISO from a contact and are waiting for the key from Dreamspark). THey all find it perfectly fine. No one is complaining. Everyone is finding it nice and smooth and easy to work with.

I'm going to install it tonight.

I got a basic work image into the Windows 8 RTM. Got most things to work except the bloody domain login scripting doing mapped drives doesn't seem to have permission to work.

Lots of people at uni have been installing windows 8 (Got the enterprise ISO from a contact and are waiting for the key from Dreamspark). THey all find it perfectly fine. No one is complaining. Everyone is finding it nice and smooth and easy to work with.

I'm going to install it tonight.

Desktop and laptop are very different beasts.

Just under 6 seconds from pressing the power button to the desktop. Faster then i expected.

I havnt really tried W8 before now, so the only problems im having is finding thing like shutdown and so on. Otherwise its been really good.

As for desktops and laptops i can't see how W8 would cripple a desktop if it's working fine on a laptop. But i havn't tried and wouldn't know, but so far my first real experience with windows 8 has been good.

Just under 6 seconds from pressing the power button to the desktop. Faster then i expected.

I havnt really tried W8 before now, so the only problems im having is finding thing like shutdown and so on. Otherwise its been really good.

As for desktops and laptops i can't see how W8 would cripple a desktop if it's working fine on a laptop. But i havn't tried and wouldn't know, but so far my first real experience with windows 8 has been good.

It's not about crippling, it's just that the control scheme differs. Gestures on a touchpad might actually make W8 better than W7 on a laptop, but you get no such advantage on a desktop.

It's not about crippling, it's just that the control scheme differs. Gestures on a touchpad might actually make W8 better than W7 on a laptop, but you get no such advantage on a desktop.

I just use a mouse. Never use the touchpad, i cant stand it.

Gestures might be good, but the touch pad drives me nuts.

^Here here!

Thought you guys might find this interesting: http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m-un...lling-windows-8

Opening statement:

As a cruel trick on myself, about a month ago I installed Windows 8 on my main PC to see what it was like.

The answer is: abysmal.

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that Windows 8 is the worst computing experience I’ve ever had. As a desktop operating system, it’s annoying, frustrating, irritating, and baffling to use. I’ve tried on many occasions to explain exactly why it’s so awful to use day-to-day, and most of the time, smoke starts pouring out of my ears. I thought it would be better to get down exactly what the issues are and why you should avoid it.

Far more at the linked site.

^Here here!

Thought you guys might find this interesting: http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m-un...lling-windows-8

Opening statement:

As a cruel trick on myself, about a month ago I installed Windows 8 on my main PC to see what it was like.

The answer is: abysmal.

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that Windows 8 is the worst computing experience I’ve ever had. As a desktop operating system, it’s annoying, frustrating, irritating, and baffling to use. I’ve tried on many occasions to explain exactly why it’s so awful to use day-to-day, and most of the time, smoke starts pouring out of my ears. I thought it would be better to get down exactly what the issues are and why you should avoid it.

Far more at the linked site.

I didn't find that link that informative, nothing person at all Cybes. It's just that his gripes are with Metro and the apps anmd that's pretty much it. Granted i havn't used the OS for more than a day, but i'm sort of over the metro "It's meant for a tablet" argument. I did a fresh install, while still knowing what's been said about the "tablet" experience and i must admit i'm enjoying it.

There have been a few frustrating moments, like how to navigate or find certain menus and how to turn the damn thing off, but once i had those in the bag everything went a lot smoother. The verdict is still out for me, but that link just covers old ground. At least so far it seems much more snappier than Windows 7.

I think my biggest problem is MS did a half arsed UI job AGAIN!

They have split up options over Metro, Win Classic and CLI.

They also split basic tasks over different UI's.

Why can't they just stick to one UI....

And then there us the multitasking in metro, which is totally different for novice users than ever windows OS before it...