witcher01

Windows 8 Information ?

There was an interesting article on one of the major news sites here in Norway:

5 good Reason why you should NOT buy Windows 8

1. Microsoft changes the way you use Windows

2. It's faster, but why should you care?

3. Not enough apps in the Windows 8 App store

4. Boring without a touch screen

5. Dangerous for early adopters

My take on it:

1. Ok, fair points, but change isn't bad just because it's a change

2. Ummm, it's faster, so i shouldn't buy it...ok???

3. Ok sure, not enough apps. But hardly a reason "Not" to jump on Windows 8

4. It's boring without a touch screen. Ok i get it, but still, no concrete reason not to buy Windows 8

5. Everything is "Dangerous" for early adopters. That goes for phones, PC's, software, everything

Mega facepalm article if you ask me :P

LOL

I personally won't be upgrading to Windows 8 any time soon. However, after my Core 2 Solo laptop got replaced, I put Windows 8 Consumer Preview on it. I like the speed boost, and improvements in other areas, but not the UI. Same old story right there :-P

I'd still buy it, Windows Xp is stone-age man

Indeed. And i'm sure XP users are able to get it for $40. For that price why the hell not?

Stupid question, but if I install the windows 8 rtm version, can I activate this later with a full windows 8 pro license key?

Stupid question, but if I install the windows 8 rtm version, can I activate this later with a full windows 8 pro license key?

I think so but I'm not 100% sure.

To top it all off, there arent that many PCs out there which are touch screen to begin with at this time.

And to make it even more idiotic most desktop screens are so large now that you are not sitting within easy arms reach of them. Every time you want to "touch" something on screen you are going to have to lean forward to reach the screen. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Where the touch screen will be handy will be things like tablets etc as already mentioned and Point of Sale PCs where staff walk up to the screen and enter the sale details on a large touch menu.

Would also be handy for those stand up internet kiosks like

http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/conten...osk-finland.jpg

Where the touch screen will be handy will be things like tablets etc as already mentioned and Point of Sale PCs where staff walk up to the screen and enter the sale details on a large touch menu.

Would also be handy for those stand up internet kiosks like

You forgot to mention the hybrid notebook/tablet.

Edit: Actually I think I was referring to the touchscreen notebook, nonetheless windows 8 is a pretty half-assed os without the use of touch ui.

Edited by peterspants

I'd still buy it, Windows Xp is stone-age man

Indeed. And i'm sure XP users are able to get it for $40. For that price why the hell not?

$40? How come?

Used Server 2012 today, can't say I am a fan.

I never noticed how much I relied on the start menu.

Damn MS forcing me to learn commands...

I'll buy it on my laptop. How many hours left again till we start downloading it? Just over 5 hours? :S

It's something I'd give a shot for a $40 upgrade.

I think that soon they are going to realize how much of a mistake they have made when no one like it. I have played with it and have gone in completely open minded and can't stand it. Granted I have no need to upgrade so I won't be affected, I think a lot of people are going to be really put off by the completely changed UI.

Personally, I reckon Microsoft will realise they fucked up and will revert it back to Windows 7ish style for their 9th generation OS.

I can get it as a $15 upgrade as I bought an oem copy of W7 recently for a new system I built. Even for only $15 I think I'll wait a bit before an upgrade and see how it goes.

My netbook had Windows 7 Home Basic, so I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro from a Windows 7 OEM license I intended for another computer. I will upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro later.

I would be curious to see how this OS performs with games and online games. Also the various drivers and setups for different rigs.

As a gamer i feel this OS will screw us over in many ways. Would love to see some comparisons against a game with Win8 vs Win7 OS and see the differences.

The front page news article on got me interested in whether Microsoft was adequately labeling their boxes. The pic of the box that atomic purchased makes no indication that the version inside is an upgrade only, and when I went to check out Dick Smith, I could find no upgrade indication on their Win 8 Pro box that would indicate that a previous version of Windows is required for this software purchase to be useful. There was a section on upgrade paths, that if you had Windows 7 you would not loose your programs but anything earlier you would have to re-install them: ie, fresh install from a currently installed licence. This mislabelling may also indicate why retail stores claimed that they were selling full copies when Microsoft will tell you they are not.

That, to me, is something the ACCC or its derivatives might well be concerned with.

Also, if you bought a laptop after 2nd of June, get the $15 upgrade to Windows 8. Just watch it as the $15 only applies to the digital download but you can make your own installer disc if you so choose though. :)

OK, so I just upgraded my 7 install with 8 Pro.

My live tiles for photos/music/weather/mail etc dont work. I click on them, they attempt to open, then close.

I guess I have to set them all up somewhere? If so, where would I go to do that? :P

**Update**

Nevermind, It was Avast not playing nice.

Edited by justo316

Used Server 2012 today, can't say I am a fan.

I never noticed how much I relied on the start menu.

Damn MS forcing me to learn commands...

Pfft. Should be a ninja at PowerShell by now.

:P~~~

My initial thoughts of Win8 after a few hours use......

Start screen is really lacking. They expect us to use this primarily, but it's so lacking in features and it seems like you're barely able to customize it. I understand why they've forced the start screen on us, and I'm somewhat OK with that....but ffs, at least give us the power to make it as useful as the regular desktop if we want it to. It's Windows, I'm not used to NOT being able to control stuff.

Lack of an easy to access volume control is annoying for me.

I didn't realize Media Center didn't come with it. I've applied for my free key though, but I think it sucks it's not included.

Can you sign in with an XBox Live account that ISN'T your windows email address? From my quick look, it said if my XBox account used a different email address, I'd have to create a new user account which is fucked if there isn't a way around this.

Messenger app is largely useless to me. I can't seem to figure out how to get existing contacts from Live messenger, Facebook, and GTalk.

Viewing all apps in the start screen is just a mess.

Dragging an app from the top down to close it is going to wear thin on me very soon. I want an X dammit.

I'm going to have to persist with it as I'm not going back to Win7 (for work reasons). I was really looking forward to it, but I have to say...so far, it's not looking good from a usability standpoint. I'm trying to picture having to show my clients how to use it after they've barely come to grips with traditional windows layout and now they have to remember to move their mouse to invisible areas of their screen to do stuff (and some is context sensitive).

I just thought it'd be better than this (seeing as it's a MS product which I'm generally a fan of).

I just installed it on my notebook for work reasons too justo and I still hate the stupidity that is the start screen and the fucking charms. As for "Dragging an app from the top down to close it is going to wear thin on me very soon. I want an X dammit." Ye more bullshit change for changes sake it seems.

Same goes for shutting down or restarting. FFS adding more steps to the process is not an advance you dumbshits.

Only reason I installed it is I am going to soon be getting people asking me how to do things in Win 8 so I had better have half an idea about it. Now if only the sodding drivers where available for everything still got one unknown device with the hardware ID of ACPI\VEN_GBTD&DEV_0004 and not getting any useful results from Google.