witcher01

Windows 8 Information ?

I don't see the problem with apps not closing automatically. They don't do that on my windows 7 PC, they don't do that on my ipod. It would annoy me having to reopen everything all the time. And to close you just have to hover top left, right click and close. Almost the same as right clicking and closing something on the taskbar in win7. And you can swap to any open app by going top left and then down to display everything that's open and choose one, or good old alt-tab, or hit windows. Lots of decent options.

I haven't yet found an easy way to shutdown/restart though. Hovering bottom right, going to settings, power, and shutdown, all with the mouse, is pretty tiresome. I think I tried Alt+F4 once but using a laptop at the time, it was using the alternate function for F4 so it didn't work.

I haven't yet found an easy way to shutdown/restart though. Hovering bottom right, going to settings, power, and shutdown, all with the mouse, is pretty tiresome. I think I tried Alt+F4 once but using a laptop at the time, it was using the alternate function for F4 so it didn't work.

I have.

3 shortcut files

Shutdown, Restart and Lock ;).

http://jack-brennan.com/Downloads/Shortcuts.zip

Throw them on your desktop and you're a double click away from shutting down/restarting or locking your pc!

Restart: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

Shutdown: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Lock: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe User32.dll,LockWorkStation

Edited by smakme7757

If you hold down the Windows key and tap L it will lock the pc.

I know. But sometimes it's just more convenient to hit the desktop icon.

I have.

3 shortcut files

Shutdown, Restart and Lock ;).

http://jack-brennan.com/Downloads/Shortcuts.zip

Throw them on your desktop and you're a double click away from shutting down/restarting or locking your pc!

Restart: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00

Shutdown: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Lock: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe User32.dll,LockWorkStation

That's handy. Might make them and stick them on a USB drive, and copy them to the desktop of every win8 machine I do something to at work so the customers have some handy shortcuts

Ok. As promised, back for more.

Firstly, Steam works just fine. In fact, it launches in its own window, just like always, and you can launch your preferred game that way. No problems at all.

Second, video playback is woeful in terms of its rendered resolution. Its almost as if anything you play back on WMP is a couple of resolutions lower than it should be. Things like pre-rendered subtitles, which previously were very clear are now looking very distinctly out of focus, like its been stretch a bit too much. The video itself isn't very clear either.

I have honestly not even considered using Windows Media Player since what, Windows XP? It's been nothing but Media Player Classic and VLC for me. I did test videos in the Videos app I think it is, everything seemed to display fine.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

WMP is fine. I had to set it default though as I plain don't like the video app.

The boot up time is ZOMG fantastic. Literally a few seconds.

Didn't like having to have to go and download the windows card games either. But no matter, I have them now, and they are awesome.

Ok well it seems most of my problems have sorted themselves out. I'm a happy W8 user. Although the amount of shit that people are writing about Windows 8 is just atrocious.

On most of the forums i frequent it's just so clear that people who haven't even tried Windows 8 for longer than a day are using the whole Anti W8 theme to throw cheap shots of forum members, just to be a PITA. It's so totally out of control. Obviously if Windows 8 doesn't work on your hardware then it's bad luck, use Windows 7, but ffs don't go on a two page rant on a forum as to how much it sucks.

I wasn't a fan of Vista, but i didn't go around flaming it in threads where people enjoyed it.

I think this forum is the only forum on earth where you can have a discussion about Windows 8 without the "Know it alls" (That understand fuck all about tech) jumping in and saying W8 is slow or not productive etc....

Above all else the fucking OS is available for $60 which is peanuts and people still have a go at the price.

WMP is fine. I had to set it default though as I plain don't like the video app.

The boot up time is ZOMG fantastic. Literally a few seconds.

Didn't like having to have to go and download the windows card games either. But no matter, I have them now, and they are awesome.

I did that as well for everything. Photos, music, video. Those apps are shit lol Edited by smakme7757

Plus the Photos, Music and Video Metro apps are setup that they stream first before loading what's in your folders which is pretty dumb.

Oddly enough, I have had issues on some games not running properly like Mass Effect 3. Probably because of DirectX maybe?

Ok well it seems most of my problems have sorted themselves out. I'm a happy W8 user. Although the amount of shit that people are writing about Windows 8 is just atrocious.

On most of the forums i frequent it's just so clear that people who haven't even tried Windows 8 for longer than a day are using the whole Anti W8 theme to throw cheap shots of forum members, just to be a PITA. It's so totally out of control. Obviously if Windows 8 doesn't work on your hardware then it's bad luck, use Windows 7, but ffs don't go on a two page rant on a forum as to how much it sucks.

I wasn't a fan of Vista, but i didn't go around flaming it in threads where people enjoyed it.

I grabbed vista when it first came out. I had new hardware at the time, so not a problem. And I'm a MS fanboi, so there's that... Honestly I had pretty much zero trouble. I think I had a few random bluescreens , about 4 total, in the first few months, but after that nothing. I upgraded to Win7 when it was an RC and then as soon as it hit RTM (I was an MSDN subscriber at the time). No problems with that either.

Yes I had few initial problems, for about 10 minutes, with Windows 8 when upgrading on year old hardware. The only problem I can still report is that every now and then Chrome will load pages really slow. When that happens I just go in and kill off the all the open Chrome processes and start again - speed returned. It didn't do that on win7 and FF works fine. My Dell XPS 8500 Win8 work box (brand new with Win8 installed) has worked completely flawlessly since day 1. And I play games on it too. ( I work at these guys, so you can assume we game :))

Every single person I've stood in front of (physically) and talked to about windows 8 and is a windows 8 user has not said bad things. That's a big thing coming from trog, who we only just got windows XP lol. I have found that the people that speak shit about windows 8 haven't even used it. They're the people that have read an article about it being a touch based OS and thought "how the fuck is that going to work on a Desktop" and bagged it and acted like they know what they're talking about. IMO, Windows 8, in all it's flavours on all devices - tablets, desktop, server, phone - rawks. Microsoft has done a good thing.

I wish apps would close automatically too. Instead of having to turn them off one by one. And not having a fast way to quit out of apps except hitting your desktop "app" is tiresome. This really is a touch operating system first and desktop second. Still a great OS, like a polished 7 but with some annoying obstacles. They look fantastic though I will admit.

Alt-F4 is what i use to close apps. Alternatively you can "drag" the app to the bottom of the screen. I.e grab a hold of the top border of the app and drag down. I never do it, but it does close the app :).

With that being said i'm almost never in the "Start screen". I just don't use it at all - Oh, the only exception is an app called "PriceGrabber" which is absolutely awesome! Otherwise i'm at the desktop 99% of the time.

A reason to use Alt F4 again. I'm pleased with that, thank you.

I grabbed vista when it first came out. I had new hardware at the time, so not a problem. And I'm a MS fanboi, so there's that... Honestly I had pretty much zero trouble. I think I had a few random bluescreens , about 4 total, in the first few months, but after that nothing. I upgraded to Win7 when it was an RC and then as soon as it hit RTM (I was an MSDN subscriber at the time). No problems with that either.

Yes I had few initial problems, for about 10 minutes, with Windows 8 when upgrading on year old hardware. The only problem I can still report is that every now and then Chrome will load pages really slow. When that happens I just go in and kill off the all the open Chrome processes and start again - speed returned. It didn't do that on win7 and FF works fine. My Dell XPS 8500 Win8 work box (brand new with Win8 installed) has worked completely flawlessly since day 1. And I play games on it too. ( I work at these guys, so you can assume we game :))

Every single person I've stood in front of (physically) and talked to about windows 8 and is a windows 8 user has not said bad things. That's a big thing coming from trog, who we only just got windows XP lol. I have found that the people that speak shit about windows 8 haven't even used it. They're the people that have read an article about it being a touch based OS and thought "how the fuck is that going to work on a Desktop" and bagged it and acted like they know what they're talking about. IMO, Windows 8, in all it's flavours on all devices - tablets, desktop, server, phone - rawks. Microsoft has done a good thing.

Hi fives for being MS fanboi's.

I did that as well for everything. Photos, music, video. Those apps are shit lol

Totally shit lol. But no matter, they are for the new plebs that MS wants to take away from Apple. Edited by SceptreCore

If anyone is having problems with Far Cry 3 on Windows 8 do the following:

Goto

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\FarCry 3\bin

On the following .exe files:

farcry3_d3d11.exe

farcry3.exe

Right click and select properties. Change their compatibility mode to "Windows 7" and check the box, "run as administrator".

After doing that Far Cry 3 hasn't crashed since.

Edited by smakme7757

I'm really enjoying Windows 8. I don't remember windows 7 being as smooth and fast as when I first installed it. It's great. Some of the old ways of doing things though have been overcomplicated.

How many bloody steps you have to go through now just to enter safe mode? A: Lots. And you can't do it before the OS starts up, you have to go through all these stupid steps in the PC Settings. Well what if the OS is having problems, and you can't access it? Not that mine has... but still. Maybe it only does it after there is an error in the startup process. Still having been an enthusiast, and an industry professional, I want my quick access to Safe Mode, and other preboot options back (end rant)

Also, I don't seem to have gotten a BSOD from the SSD since installing Win8.

All in all, Windows 8.... it 8n't bad :P.

Oh man I hope that Shift+F8 does work, getting into safe mode is annoying, and you have to do it to fix the all too common 13% update problem.

EDIT: Wait that ends up being exactly the same steps as just pressing F8. Still, I'll give it a try anyway

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Where's solitaire?

No option to add it like in Win 7.

Just had to set up a new PC for 'ol mate with no MS email account. Ended up going with a third party game and start8.

The Microsoft games are on the app store for free.

yeah but you need a microsoft live account to access them. :)

@ Sceptre, you need to do this before Windows 8 boots up.

If my fingerprint scanner on my new Dell laptop supported Windows 8 i would have installed it. I hope Dell gets an updated driver ready to go soon.

A personal roaming profile is actually pretty neat :).

So after using it for a while and getting over WTF did that shit go phase I have to say im really enjoying it.