witcher01

Windows 8 Information ?

If it's an offline implementation of roaming profiles, that'd certainly be interesting.

That, and I wonder how they handle drivers.

It'd be a user profile, not a hardware profile.

That is to say, the contents of %USERPROFILE% and HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which have nothing to do with drivers.

Well, I understood "run Windows from a USB storage device" to mean, installing an instance of Windows on a USB storage device and running (booting) it.

Otherwise why does it need 16GB? User profiles aren't that big!

If it's an offline implementation of roaming profiles, that'd certainly be interesting.

That, and I wonder how they handle drivers.

It'd be a user profile, not a hardware profile.

That is to say, the contents of %USERPROFILE% and HKEY_CURRENT_USER, which have nothing to do with drivers.

Well, I understood "run Windows from a USB storage device" to mean, installing an instance of Windows on a USB storage device and running (booting) it.

Otherwise why does it need 16GB? User profiles aren't that big!

there allowing for a avg size persons documents folder + extremely bloated HK_CU? lol

that would be funny :P

Sorry, I just read the title "Portable Workspace" and made an assumption.

We've had USB bootable Windows environments for a long time in the form of Windows PE, or the less official BartPE.

It's good that they're bringing it into the mainstream though.

It's an even release, so it'll be shit. Stay with 7 until 9 is ready. ;P

Call me hopeful, but they may have learnt their lesson with 7. Will be an interesting release.

Or they might get cocky and careless with their Windows 7 success.. Who knows. Edited by Mr.Twinkie

Here is part of engadget's coverage of Computex where MS is showing off the Windows 8 tablet interface. Note that this runs over the top of a standard Windows Desktop as well, so you have the choice of either... all very Windows mobile, but nifty IMO.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microso...let-prototypes/

Well, I've got a WP7 phone. I don't have to relearn anything then! The new Mango update for WP7 will include multitasking and IE9 so WP7 will be like mini-me-Windows 8.

Edited by Jeruselem

Here is part of engadget's coverage of Computex where MS is showing off the Windows 8 tablet interface. Note that this runs over the top of a standard Windows Desktop as well, so you have the choice of either... all very Windows mobile, but nifty IMO.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/microso...let-prototypes/

Well, I've got a WP7 phone. I don't have to relearn anything then! The new Mango update for WP7 will include multitasking and IE9 so WP7 will be like mini-me-Windows 8.

I'm going to be buying a Windows 7 phone. The GUI looks great for phones... but I think it will annoy the piss out of me on my OS. They can keep that whole tile/apps on a black background crap.

Make me a small explorer orb device that can stunningly help me navigate into the depths of the OS without having to open a window.

And @ Redhatter. Command Lines are so 1980's man. They are for the elitist super nerds such as yourself. But aren't really that more productive than navigating with mouse clicks.

http://www.buildwindows.com/

http://www.itworld.com/software/169627/10-...tures-windows-8

This link is a must read gentlemen. And ladies should there be any.....

It could just be the Windows we've been waiting for. I can see already it retiring some programs I have, which will now become standard. LIKE A PDF READER!!!!! Not that I use that bloated pig called adobe any more, anyway.

Hmm. "I've closely examined a pre-beta leak and dug up 10 great features and improvements you can look forward to." So... An alpha, then? Or maybe just not use a release term, since it hasn't actually been released? :P Friggen press.

Gripes aside...

Looks like MS have mostly improved things. Some of which are 'about time' things, like maintenance. The inbuilt PDF could be good, but we know MS's history on security holes in other products, and Adobe have already had their share with PDFs - if they aren't very careful they're just going to make things worse.

God do I hate that 'ribbonised' abortion. Like my windows don't waste enough vertical screen realestate as it is.

Indeed, and in this age of wide-screen aspect ratio monitors. This is where a 4:3 aspect ratio screen has an advantage, extra vertical height for all those sodding ribbons.

I haven't rushed out to buy Windows 7 yet... can't say I'm fussed on "Aero", but it looks as if the old (classic) interface I'm familiar with won't exist at all, and there'll be an even newer interface, which is completely different just to confuse the novices.

Indeed, and in this age of wide-screen aspect ratio monitors. This is where a 4:3 aspect ratio screen has an advantage, extra vertical height for all those sodding ribbons.

I haven't rushed out to buy Windows 7 yet... can't say I'm fussed on "Aero", but it looks as if the old (classic) interface I'm familiar with won't exist at all, and there'll be an even newer interface, which is completely different just to confuse the novices.

I would've thought that if Windows 7 was an antique you'd buy it.

But seriously. I also hate the ribbon. Outlook has never been harder to use thanks to the new version. Which can make work difficult.

I'm too lazy to look at all the posts. so this may of been said, One of the other magazines (hmph *comptent*) had a special few pages about it

Windows 7 is probably the best OS for a long time... XP was good but its outdated ugly look was depressing plus the 64bit version was just awful.. so im looking forward to the Windows 8 because itll finally have alot of options that ive been waiting for.. and hopefully itll be less power hungry and be good at running my games :P... ive always wondered tho.. will there ever be 64bit color ?? lol 32bit is boring :P

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011...ight-work.ars/1

This is four pages long... so don't expect me to copy and paste it in here. But it's quite a good read as to how Microsoft can turn back the tide of Apple's wave.

I'm a Microsoft man myself. And Windows 8 sounds like it will be really exciting. A big change, which may be hard to adapt to... but exciting none the less.

I'm reading other bloggers reporting Windows 8 will be the next Vista, ie too early. Not so sure... I do tend to trust what ARS technica say over some random bloggers whose credibility and persuasions I don't trust.

...My mate and I were discussing the post pc revolution just last friday and IMO in a few years the only people with desktop pc's will once again be the computer nerds (he's a sales manager at altech and was saying how the basic home pc setups used by the near luddites are dropping in sales, in favour of tablets).

was saying how the basic home pc setups used by the near luddites are dropping in sales, in favour of tablets).

Seen a few people get tablet type things instead of notebooks but so far not as desktop replacements.

was saying how the basic home pc setups used by the near luddites are dropping in sales, in favour of tablets).

Seen a few people get tablet type things instead of notebooks but so far not as desktop replacements.

Tablet PCs replace netbooks but they won't replace a full desktop or laptop. I have a netbook and a smartphone (and three laptops). I don't need a tablet pc at all.

Edited by Jeruselem