witcher01

Windows 8 Information ?

Yeah, real men use CLI-based word processors and spreadsheets.

With 1980's military black background with bright green foreground text.

My local library used to use the ol' green text for their OPAC's.

Now they are using Dell small form pc's and all-in-one's (with 23 inch LCD) running Windows 7.

What can the average joe (me) use the Windows 8 Dev Preview for?

fulfil any curiosity you have about what the next release of windows could look like?

fulfil any curiosity you have about what the next release of windows could look like?

Yep I dual booted it with win 7 for awhile and I was like MEH.

I now have 4GB of RAM. Reassigning the default My Documents folder location to my existing Windows XP folder took but a few minutes. No issues with using my Optus prepaid internet dongle.

Is the developer preview worth trying (time/effort-wise)? Is there much performance increase over win 7? It'd be awesome if kinect was a natural interface used for win 8 xD

Windows-on-Windows ARM Confirmed?

Back in the 1990's, when the software industry knew the 32-bit x86 address-space limitation was closing in, they geared up for transition to another machine architecture, then came AMD64 and EM64T, which allowed an x86 processor to perform in both 64-bit and 32-bit modes. Microsoft didn't want users of its 64-bit Windows to be deprived of using software coded for 32-bit Windows, which was infinitely more in number than 64-bit software. Hence it developed what is known as Windows-on-Windows 64 (WOW64), a translation layer that interfaces 32-bit software and drivers to the 64-bit OS and drivers. With its next major Windows version, Windows 8, Microsoft wants to give the ARM architecture a big push, with a Windows 8 version for ARM computing devices (such as tablets and netbooks). Guess what?

A latest bulletin at MSDN hints at the possibility of Microsoft working on a x86-to-ARM translation layer, which allows you to run desktop windows (Win32) software on Windows 8 ARM, effectively "Windows-on-Windows ARM". Without specifically pointing out the ability to run Win32 software on ARM, the bulletin mentions the ability to run non-metro applications (native Windows) on SoC (system-on-a-chip) architectures. It could also just be a reference to Intel's single-chip SoCs such as Medfield, which are x86-based. If Microsoft pulls off a "WOWARM", it could spell terrible news to Intel, because something such as the hypothetical WOWARM is all that stands between ARM and high-performance desktop PCs. In a market that only has two other competitors (AMD and VIA), dozens more could join in overnight.

Edited by nobody813

MS pimped them but they made the advert so gay it made true geeks run for cover.

The Dev release is for app developers to get the SDK and have a fiddle with writing apps.

The consumer one is so Joe Public can test out if the OS will work with their favourite apps and any new ones of interest.

Downloaded and installed the consumer preview yesterday. Been messing with it a bit. My first go at using Win8

Boy is is different to Win7, just in terms of opening any programs. Some things are hidden away in deeper menu levels or completely different areas.

It's a bit clunky getting around it at the moment. Slowly understanding how it works but simply getting to the start menu with the mouse, I find easier just to hit the key on the keyboard.

IMO, they have the taskbar still in desktop mode, should make the left and right extremities of it buttons to call up start screen and charms bar. Rather than just the absolute corners. I had to google to find those corners out too, nothing saying "hey these 3 corners do stuff".

Task manager is pretty neat though. Nice visual and functionality update. (about time it got some TLC).

And the "up" button is back in windows explorer!

MS pimped them but they made the advert so gay it made true geeks run for cover.

if paying $485 (retail price on release) knowing full well that you can get it for nothing makes you a geek.....

Well, I've loaded Windows 8 on my laptop as per standing with my policy of the oldest machine gets a test run for the beta Windows. And here's my take on the matter.

The installer is definitely a lot faster compared to the Windows 7 installer. From boot-up of the splash screen to the actual finish of the install was about 10-15mins. This is compared to the Windows 7 installer which took about 20-30mins which is highly dependent on the DVD drive. So that's one good thing at the outset.

From setup, one of the steps is to recognise your network (be it wired or wireless). The reason is to actually set up your login details. If you have set up the internet here, you'll be asked to login via your email account. This may be interesting in the long term since emails rarely change but I'm a bit sceptic about this issue and privacy in general. You can register a local account which won't use the online login. You'll find it if you do not set up an internet connection. Otherwise, you'll have to dig deep to actually find it. More on that later.

The start screen is very similar to the initial home screen of tablets and phones. This is probably a negative as you install more programs, it'll actually start to get a bit cluttered. Desktop hasn't changed apart from the missing Start logo we're all used to. Most of the more advanced options is buried under the Settings which is located on your lower right, between the Clock and the Show Desktop corner. This is annoying as you'll need to be pretty precise on the mouse. Touch wouldn't have an issue but definitely need some fixing in terms of responsiveness. Alternatively, you can just hit the Windows + C keys to get this.

Closing is also difficult as on some programs, there isn't a Close button. You need to drag and slide it down. But the nifty thing about this is that on the top left corner, you can see all the open applications and choose from them. This only applies to some applications though but expect more to use this feature soon.

Task manager is completely revamped with visual and functionality updates all round. You can actually see what your IE is doing to not respond and the usage is actually useful for once.

Drivers are basically Windows 7 versions so it should be easy to use from the get-go.

Shutdown is actually interesting as it is a lot faster to do.

Overall, Windows 8 is a bit odd. It is quite radical to use but once you get over the basics, it is quite normal underneath. Wish there was an option to ask whether or not you are using a desktop/laptop instead of assuming you have a touch device instantly.

Man, I'm trying wean users off XP at the moment. Just got rid all our Win2000 PCs a few years ago. Mind you due to crappy software we have to support, XP is going be around for while here. Thank God for virtualisation.

Edited by Jeruselem

Yeah, from my (admittedly brief) plays with the Win 8 Developer Preview, I can't see the flashy UI going down too well on traditional desktops.

On touch devices? Yes. I am aware that the desktop environment is there as an option (although too often it switches to the fancy shmancy UI).

A market where I think it might also do well is as a media PC - I can see the new UI being suitable for use with a remote control and such. Personally though I'll stick with Win7 for my next build.

The improved task manager however is long overdue.

Shutdown? it seems to default to going into standby.

On the positive side, it does appear very stable for a pre-release, like 7 was, so I don't think it'll fail HARD, it just won't succeed as much as Microsft would like IMHO.

It'll succeed or do better anyway in just about any other market or on any other device except for business PC use.

May still do ok but the metro GUI whilst nice imo isn't best for business or power user usage, too clunky and slows you down.

Maybe that'll change as I use it more, but that's how it is for me atm.

so i finally had a play with it today and it looks good but i few things are missing.

1.NO START BUTTON! call me old school but i have used the start button since using windows and i like it so without it feels weird, i hope they bring it back in the full release.

2. Task manger - its awesome! now i can finally see what its doing in the background!

3. metro UI - looks cool but for desktop it just sucks, would be cool on a tablet or touch screen tough.

those are my first thoughts.

i haven't had a blue screen yet but i hope there is option to display like BSOD do now. (sad faces are great but dont do much)

Edited by jdog

so i finally had a play with it today and it look good but i few things a missing.

1.NO START BUTTON! call me old school but i have used the start button since using windows and i like it so without it feels wierd, i hope they bring it back in the full release.

2. Task manger - its aswome! now i can finally see what its doing in the background!

3. metro UI - looks cool but for desktop it just sucks, would be cool on a tablet or touch screen tough.

those are my first thoughts.

i havent had a blue screen yet but i hope there is option to display like BSOD do now. (sad faces are great but dont do much)

They're pretty much my thoughts as well.

Although I quite like the start screen. Having the big tiles are quite handy with the live info they display and easier to click on than the tiny list you get on the start menu in win7.

I think it would be interesting to see a Metro-style start screen on Win7 along with the new task manager.