Sign in to follow this  
skunny

[Advice] New Build

Hey guys, i've been out of the loop for quite a long time when it comes to hardware. I need a new computer. I won't be over clocking.

I need it to be quiet mainly. Gaming, internet, web development and media. I multitask so it will be under load.

Intel Core i5 2500 Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU

Asus P8P67 PRO L1155 P67 4x DDR3 SATA3 SATA2 eSATA RAID Firewire USB3.0 GLAN CrossFire/SLI

G Skill 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 CL9(CL9D-4GBNQ)

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M

Gigabyte ATI HD6950 2GB

Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL)

Fractal Design Define R3 Case Black

Antec ATX TruePower 650W

Logitech illuminated Keyboard USB

Logitech MX-518 Gaming Grade Mouse

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD2.5 MLC SSD, 285/275MB/Sec, SATA II, SandForce controller, TRIM

I always buy through Umart because they haven't let me down.

Thought i might post here to tap into the knowledge on this forum.

Comments? Suggestions?

I plan on running a dual screen setup, so monitors have not been factored into the price - neither has a wireless card.

Despite that, this is looking at costing me $1810

Edited by skunny

SB 'might' be having a recall of there MOTHERBOARDS. The cpu is fine but they're having problems with the sata 2 ports or something.

Maybe hang out until april if possible? I was about to buy my SB pc but then i heard about this so now holding out until Bulldozer and hopefully SB mobo's will be fixed around that same time so it'll be good to buy around then :)

SB 'might' be having a recall of there MOTHERBOARDS. The cpu is fine but they're having problems with the sata 2 ports or something.

Maybe hang out until april if possible? I was about to buy my SB pc but then i heard about this so now holding out until Bulldozer and hopefully SB mobo's will be fixed around that same time so it'll be good to buy around then :)

It affects anything running on the sata 2 ports due to the metal gate on a certain transistor being to thin and degrading over time.

anything not socket 1155 is unaffected by this though to the OP.

I cannot see any problems with that. Though I have read of more issues with Asus P67 Motherboards than others, they're still (according to reviews) great boards. I went with an MSI P67A-GD55 for my SB build. The issue with the motherboards doesn't seem to scary, I think when MSI make a new version of the board I just have to send mine back to them and they'll give me a new one. I assume something similar will be the case with Asus, which means a week or so without a motherboard. So basically, your main decision with your build is whether or not you decide to get it now, or wait until new motherboards are released. Also, I could be wrong, but I think Umart stopped selling socket 1155 because of the issue. Your other alternative is to go with something other than Sandy Bridge, which to me seems like losing 'bang-for-buck'.

thanks guys. this is my amended setup

Intel Core i5 2500K Processor LGA1155 3.3GHz CPU

Cooler Master Hyper TX3

Asus P8P67 PRO L1155 P67 4x DDR3 SATA3 SATA2 eSATA RAID Firewire USB3.0 GLAN CrossFire/SLI

G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24(CL9D-8GBRL)

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M

Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD2.5 MLC SSD, 285/275MB/Sec, SATA II, SandForce controller, TRIM

Gigabyte ATI HD6950 2GB

Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL)

Fractal Design Define R3 Case Black

Antec ATX TruePower 650W

Logitech illuminated Keyboard USB

Logitech MX-518 Gaming Grade Mouse

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

That is around 2k without the monitor or wireless card. I'm gona overclock that thing to 4ghz and flash the gpu to unlock the shaders on it. http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.p...hlight=6950+mod

Looks good and sounds fun! =]

The only thing I'd change there is your SSD. The OCZ ones come with a sticker, 'my ssd is faster than your hdd'. Most expensive sticker I ever bought....

I'd heard about unlocking 6950s, looks interesting. Good luck to you.

PS. According to everything I read, (I am yet to try it) 2500Ks have no problem going much further than 4ghz. Is 4ghz to be safe? Or is it just a vague guesstimate?

Looks good and sounds fun! =]

The only thing I'd change there is your SSD. The OCZ ones come with a sticker, 'my ssd is faster than your hdd'. Most expensive sticker I ever bought....

I'd heard about unlocking 6950s, looks interesting. Good luck to you.

PS. According to everything I read, (I am yet to try it) 2500Ks have no problem going much further than 4ghz. Is 4ghz to be safe? Or is it just a vague guesstimate?

I haven't overclocked before, so i'm paranoid. I'll be getting some help from a guy from whirlpool, i'll be cautious. I don't want to sacrifice stability at all for any extra juice, but i'd like to take atleast some advantage from this build, so i'm getting a cooler and i'm going to try it. Apparently it is pretty easy to overclock this one.

Are you saying the OCZ ones are better? I'm a little confused.

Also, i'm still up in the air with the GPU. I had some advice from a tech at umart who says i might as well get Nvidia's 570. I've still got a bit of reading to do, i still might get the 570 just to avoid having to muck around flashing the 6950

How far do you think i could stretch the 2500k?

Thanks for the feed back :)

Edited by skunny

stick with the 6950 2g it has much the same performance as gtx570 but may be more futureproof due to the extra memory and is $70 cheaper

corsair and ocz 120g ssd are much the same just the ocz is cheaper

if i was to change the ssd it would be to this one although slightly slower it may be a little more reliable

Intel X25-M 120GB 2.5" MLC G2 Solid State Hard Drive $285

you can probably set the 2500k to 4.2-4.4ghz just by changing the multi and running a stress test nothing else

to get over 4.4ghz i had to enable a beta bios setting which created random truble posting which would reset the bios but this all varies from person to person

stick with the 6950 2g it has much the same performance as gtx570 but may be more futureproof due to the extra memory and is $70 cheaper

corsair and ocz 120g ssd are much the same just the ocz is cheaper

if i was to change the ssd it would be to this one although slightly slower it may be a little more reliable

Intel X25-M 120GB 2.5" MLC G2 Solid State Hard Drive $285

you can probably set the 2500k to 4.2-4.4ghz just by changing the multi and running a stress test nothing else

to get over 4.4ghz i had to enable a beta bios setting which created random truble posting which would reset the bios but this all varies from person to person

Thanks for your feedback.

As far as i can see the only reason not to ge the GTX570 would be budget - Its odd but it seems acording to reviews that it sometimes performs on par with the 6950 and other times perfroms better than the 6970. To be fair though the huge jump in some games is largely to the optimised engine for nVidia. However IMH its not as good "bang for buck" as the 6950 especially with the potential bonus of flashing it to a $100 more expencive card.

I haven't overclocked before, so i'm paranoid. I'll be getting some help from a guy from whirlpool, i'll be cautious. I don't want to sacrifice stability at all for any extra juice, but i'd like to take atleast some advantage from this build, so i'm getting a cooler and i'm going to try it. Apparently it is pretty easy to overclock this one.

Are you saying the OCZ ones are better? I'm a little confused.

Also, i'm still up in the air with the GPU. I had some advice from a tech at umart who says i might as well get Nvidia's 570. I've still got a bit of reading to do, i still might get the 570 just to avoid having to muck around flashing the 6950

How far do you think i could stretch the 2500k?

Thanks for the feed back :)

Yes, this will actually be my first time overclocking too. I was just going off things that I've read. Good luck to you though. I'd much rather be safe as well.

To my knowledge, they are basically the same. I was just saying that the OCZ one comes with a sticker. So, basically, it was a lame joke. =]

I would go the AMD card, it is cheaper (last time I checked), and still great performance.

People seem to find it relatively easy to crack 5Ghz with the 2500K, but I think that is temporary and they know what they're doing. As Dasa said, around 4.5Ghz seems to be the general target. When I have enough money for cooling, that will be what I go for.

Good luck. :)