Sign in to follow this  
supam

Z5500D any other options at this price point.

In the market for a new 5.1 speaker set for my pc.

Primary use is gaming.

Wondering if there are any other speaker sets competing with the z5500's i should think about.

Max budget is $400

For 5.1 you can't do better.

The Audioengines are nice, but they're better for music. I'd prefer a 5.1 set when gaming.

Thanks, was what i thought but being out of the loop i thought i'd check.

I had already ruled out the A5s

Edited by supam

I picked up some Z5500D's for about $260 about two weeks ago.

A mixed up sale price by the guys over at Catch Of The Day.

If you haven't heard of Catch of the Day, they don't have a product listing, they do a 'random' new sale every 24 hours.

They accidentally lowered the price too low, and offered a special 20% off for Facebook 'fans'.

A combination of the two gave me an excellent price.

Last I checked, the lowest was about $340 at MSY.

As for the speakers themselves.

I LOVE them. Using them with the Digital Coax, Optical and direct connections.

The sound the tiny speakers give is just mind blowing.

A definite +1 for the Z5500D's.

Yeah, they're not audiophile grade, but for the price, you won't find a better gaming setup.

They sound about 10x better with a sound card too, even a cheap xfi extreme audio card.

<3 my Z5500-D.

They sound like 10x better than my housemate's speakers that're ~20x larger than one single 5500 speaker.

probably makes mroe sence to post this here than the other thread even though you probably already have the z5500 now if not some of these may be worth a look

home theater systems have droped in price and some are no doubt better than the z5500 which were ~$500 to begin with but are now ~$300-400

Yamaha 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System $532 JB http://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-theatre/yama...stem-sku-97294/

and from DSE

http://dicksmith.com.au/audio-mp3/audio-sy...ems?reset=false

SAMSUNG Home Theatre C5530W/XSA $599

PANASONIC Blu-ray Home Theatre System $399

PANASONIC DVD Home Theatre System $349

PIONEER Home Theatre HTP200 Includes AE3616 AE3617 AE3618 $598

SAMSUNG DVD Home Theatre System 550 $268

PIONEER Blu-ray Home Theatre System HTZ606BD $499

with these you can probably use hdmi out from the gpu which for me sounds better than optical out from onbord for whatever reason the difference is like going from a 64k mp3 to a cd

not sure how well it works with ati cards but with nvidia the setup isnt perfect for hdmi audio out its detected as a second monitor you wont be able to see and will prevent your card downclocking

yeah i got the z5500. They aren't anything amazing, but i wasn't expecting it. More than happy for the price and purpose.

I'd question if those cheap HT setups are any better, all those extra features I'd never use means corners must be cut somewhere.

Edifier S550's are ones I saw recommended as better and around the same price, but I couldnt get them locally. They have proper MDF enclosed satellites rather than logi plastic.

probably makes mroe sence to post this here than the other thread even though you probably already have the z5500 now if not some of these may be worth a look

home theater systems have droped in price and some are no doubt better than the z5500 which were ~$500 to begin with but are now ~$300-400

Yamaha 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System $532 JB http://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-theatre/yama...stem-sku-97294/

and from DSE

http://dicksmith.com.au/audio-mp3/audio-sy...ems?reset=false

SAMSUNG Home Theatre C5530W/XSA $599

PANASONIC Blu-ray Home Theatre System $399

PANASONIC DVD Home Theatre System $349

PIONEER Home Theatre HTP200 Includes AE3616 AE3617 AE3618 $598

SAMSUNG DVD Home Theatre System 550 $268

PIONEER Blu-ray Home Theatre System HTZ606BD $499

with these you can probably use hdmi out from the gpu which for me sounds better than optical out from onbord for whatever reason the difference is like going from a 64k mp3 to a cd

not sure how well it works with ati cards but with nvidia the setup isnt perfect for hdmi audio out its detected as a second monitor you wont be able to see and will prevent your card downclocking

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most games won't do proper 5.1 over HDMI or Optical unless they support dolby digital or something right? Because I can't do 5.1 in games on optical with my Z5500Ds.

Also at those prices coupled with a blu-ray drive, I doubt the speakers would be any better than the Z5500Ds, which I think are awesome for gaming using analog with a decent soundcard.

Oh and if any of those are BluRay Players with the amp as part of the bluray player, then chances are they won't do proper 5.1 over AUX anyway.

5.1 over hdmi works fine for me in most games far more so than it did when i was using optical to z-680

maybe it has somthing to do with most games beeing console games which are made to work with hdmi? or maybe the gpu just handles it well dont know just know it works for me and sounds good

you may be right adding something like a bluray player into the amp is extra that could have been put into better qulity speakers but a pc blu ray player is now ~$40 after it has been shiped here so you are probably only loosing ~$15 worth of audio qulity there

i dont doubt some of those home theater setups sound worse than the z-5500 especialy if you love big boom but im betting some of them are better in many ways

the only way to know would be to test them and two people probably wont agree on which sounds best

edit

after looking for specs on some of those 5.1 ht systems though its possible most of them dont have hdmi input :\

ok looked a little harder and found just two that actuly have hdmi input obviously not as standard as i thought

Samsung HTC5900 $408

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audi...amp;tab=feature

http://www.videopro.com.au/p-2844-samsung-...tre-system.aspx

Pioneer HTP200 $539 (has a good amp)

http://www.pioneer.com.au/en/Products/Home...re/HTP-200.aspx

http://www.videopro.com.au/p-2328-pioneer-...;utm_medium=cpc

Edited by Dasa

A long time back, maybe previous version of Atomic, someone had bought some cheap speakers branded Dream something or other, from Ebay. It was a 5.1 set, with at least a few 6" cones, floor standing speakers, for ~$100. I don't think we got a report but does anyone know what they are like for such a ridiculous price? Coupled with a cheap 5.1 amp they would probably be ok for gaming.

Edited by komuso

5.1 over hdmi works fine for me in most games far more so than it did when i was using optical to z-680

maybe it has somthing to do with most games beeing console games which are made to work with hdmi? or maybe the gpu just handles it well dont know just know it works for me and sounds good

Optical only has enough bandwidth to run 2 channels of uncompressed audio whereas HDMI is capable of 8 channels uncompressed. The only way to get 5.1 over optical is to encode it into dolby digital or dts which comes with a lower bitrate. Since only a few soundcards are able to do this on the fly it has never really taken off. This is why the ps3 is generally regarded as having superior sound to the 360 due to the ps3 being able to send an uncompressed 7.1 stream over HDMI where the 360 due to an older HDMI standard cannot and relies on encoding to DD.

Unless you are running a HDMI setup capable of processing an uncompressed stream (Cheapest i know of is the pioneer unit Dasa linked) analog will always sound better than digital, at least for games. DVD's are a different kettle of fish since they come with the dolby or dts track already encoded and quality will generally rely on which has the better Dac's, Your soundcard or your speaker system/receiver. However with cheap speakers the difference is usually neglible.

Having said all this I have noticed that not all HDMI sound cards are created equal, for example I run surround sound on my yamaha/polk setup through my 4870 and the sound/positioning is not of the same quality I get from the ps3. Half tempted to get a Xonar and give that a whirl. Maybe for BF3. :)

very interesting

thanks Boosta

I believe price point encompasses the current value of the item across several dealers, being more of an average than anything. Whereas when people refer to the price of something, they're talking about 1 store.

Could also be to do with his maximum price of $400, so items around that price point are suitable.

@Boosta is that the same for coax as well? or is it just an optical bottleneck?

Yeah same goes for coax.

i've had a set of 5500's since about 2003 i think, paid 500, retail was 799 then, still was up until about 2 years ago, worth every dollar tho, i had em set up in my room, and wow, just awesome.

I have em set up at a friends place now, my neighbours too got annoyed, so they get to roam free up in the hills of montville, we've had more than a few blastings of them up there, and yeah you need a soundcard, even if it's just a basic one, i notice the difference from my system creative ExtremeMusic, his g-byte onboard sound.

logitech has just released the z5500 replacement

z906 http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-aud...ker-system-Z906

but from just looking at the specs its more expencive and no better but maybe some reviews will show a hidden improvement

the funny thing when it comes to audio though is spec really do mean fuck all. like sweet fuck all.

on the flip side though, a product like this is made to a price point

And made for a specific purpose.

The Z5500Ds sound great in games and movies, even music sounds good to me (I'm not an audiophile)

When I got mine a few years back there were no other options at the $400 price point. I haven't regretted my purchase at all.