Sign in to follow this  
osama_bin_athlon

condidering a 32" TV as a replacement monitor

That pannel isnt really 100hz (unless you go 3D tv they aren't real 100hz). Look at the supported resolutions page all are "@60Hz" and the 100hz function usually gets disabled over the D-SUB imput.

I dont know if any of us could say how it would look unless someone here has done exactally what you have done. I could have dealt with the way the bravia looked through VGA and am still considering getting one as my monitor. I'd say its no worse then some cheap LCDs I've seen attached to computers before but it wasn't stellar. 1920x180 is a small number to streach across 32".

Go to Harvey Norman and pick out a couple of good quality lcd/led tvs and get the guy to plug them into a laptop, you'll probably find that decent tv's at around 32" are all pretty simillar on a 1920x1080 signal and see if you think you can see a difference.

That pannel isnt really 100hz (unless you go 3D tv they aren't real 100hz). Look at the supported resolutions page all are "@60Hz" and the 100hz function usually gets disabled over the D-SUB imput.

I dont know if any of us could say how it would look unless someone here has done exactally what you have done. I could have dealt with the way the bravia looked through VGA and am still considering getting one as my monitor. I'd say its no worse then some cheap LCDs I've seen attached to computers before but it wasn't stellar. 1920x180 is a small number to streach across 32".

Go to Harvey Norman and pick out a couple of good quality lcd/led tvs and get the guy to plug them into a laptop, you'll probably find that decent tv's at around 32" are all pretty simillar on a 1920x1080 signal and see if you think you can see a difference.

yeh, thanks, I read the specs, and realised that it was crap.....why say that shit?

shakes head.

HN's would be a good place to see/test 'the waters', tho if I go that way, I'll probably go one of the Kogans

whatever I do, I'm gonna loose out, I'll be going from 1900x1200 to 1900x1080

as long as it's okay using half the screen for reading print, that's what I'm concerned about.....games and movies are apparently great.

it's 32" LED TV vs 27' monitor......I'm leaning heavily towards the larger option

I only suggested the 100hz because I guessed that OBA may also use the screen for movies and maybe watching TV. But for movie play back and TV it uses "motion max" for 100hz, but yes as a monitor 100hz is not supported, but AFAIK that will be the case for most if not all TV's used as monitors. :) As for text display I guess you could play around with the text settings if it turns out to be an issue.

But in my play around with my 42" 1080p with laptop connected, text was not the issue as it came out bigger (but not overly so considering the screen size lol) and was an easy read.

100Hz MotionMax Technology

This TV incorporates a state-of-the-art 100Hz Full HD 1080p LED Panel teamed with Kogan’s MotionMax technology, giving you a smooth, blur-free picture with life-like detail.

Edited by bowiee

I only suggested the 100hz because I guessed that OBA may also use the screen for movies and maybe watching TV. But for movie play back and TV it uses "motion max" for 100hz, but yes as a monitor 100hz is not supported, but AFAIK that will be the case for most if not all TV's used as monitors. :) As for text display I guess you could play around with the text settings if it turns out to be an issue.

But in my play around with my 42" 1080p with laptop connected, text was not the issue as it came out bigger (but not overly so considering the screen size lol) and was an easy read.

100Hz MotionMax Technology

This TV incorporates a state-of-the-art 100Hz Full HD 1080p LED Panel teamed with Kogan’s MotionMax technology, giving you a smooth, blur-free picture with life-like detail.

well, if a 42" was okay (bigger text is better - might be able to take my glasses off) one of the newer 32" should be fine for my purposes

Yeah text isn't un-readable or even uncomfortable and the Krogans have a rather seductive price-point. I just wouldn't want to sail you down an infamous river lacking necessary propulsion (say a paddle), by talking you into a TV purchase - so when I say check it out at HN I just mean to see if it will bother you that 1920x1080 is going to be spread across 32" and then get the Krogan and post back with the results cause I am interested to hear how they stack up as monitors.

The 100Hz figure they get is based on injecting false frames in between the 60Hz refresh - so using an algorithm they examine frame 1 and frame 2 and inject a frame 1a in order to smooth out the end image and help reduce ghosting. http://convergineer.sony.ca/english/Lists/...ost.aspx?ID=262 this video explains it quite well, its specifically about sony motionflow but its all essentially the same idea. I have found that it can actually cause the video to lag behind the soundtrack on my brothers LG tv on older dvd's. Its also (most of the time) disabled on D-SUB inputs and as the computer will be rendering a lot more than the base 60 frames a second anyway I'm not convinced that it would be any help - still its interesting to know.

Yeah text isn't un-readable or even uncomfortable and the Krogans have a rather seductive price-point. I just wouldn't want to sail you down an infamous river lacking necessary propulsion (say a paddle), by talking you into a TV purchase - so when I say check it out at HN I just mean to see if it will bother you that 1920x1080 is going to be spread across 32" and then get the Krogan and post back with the results cause I am interested to hear how they stack up as monitors.

The 100Hz figure they get is based on injecting false frames in between the 60Hz refresh - so using an algorithm they examine frame 1 and frame 2 and inject a frame 1a in order to smooth out the end image and help reduce ghosting. http://convergineer.sony.ca/english/Lists/...ost.aspx?ID=262 this video explains it quite well, its specifically about sony motionflow but its all essentially the same idea. I have found that it can actually cause the video to lag behind the soundtrack on my brothers LG tv on older dvd's. Its also (most of the time) disabled on D-SUB inputs and as the computer will be rendering a lot more than the base 60 frames a second anyway I'm not convinced that it would be any help - still its interesting to know.

I'm not really that interested in getting a TV with DVD/BlueRay player, or getting rid of my DTV card which renders Motionflow rather redundant, in any case......

I think I'll go to HN's and annoy some salesmen.

I don't want to end up disappointed with whatever I choose to get.

I think I'll go to HN's and annoy some salesmen.

Ah a new hobby salespeople irritation.

:P

Still happy with your Kogans I see bowiee. Hoping to afford one with a built in DVD player for my mum this year, to replace her really crappy CRT tv, STB and DVD player, will reduce the 'remote confusion" at the very least.

May also get me one of these

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/25l-convection-microwave-oven/

Yep the microwaves sure look good, but I have always been a SHARP brand buyer when it comes to MW ovens. They seem to make the best one out there IMHO.

fuck it! HN's are useless, fuck them and anyone who looks like them....

I'm gonna get me one of these Kogan LED jobs

somebody mentioned JB, but fuck that - I've always taken the punt, let's see what happens

the worst that can happen is I, MIGHT have to spend an extra $199 on a 24" BenQ to accesss the net.....but I don't think so........

I can cover that, I'm borrowing $1027 off centerlink

and still upgrade my HDD's to 2TB in stead of 1 TB - fuck I wish someone would give me a look see, before I lashed out with more money......

Oh well, the money will be there tomorrow - fuck it, I think I'll be right.

:|

as long as I can afford the atomic meet as well

I believe I have it covered

reviews will be forthcoming.

:/

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

They wouldn't help? Guess they don't want to sell tvs.

Don't worry about it, it's no worse image wise then sitting very close to your current monitor - like if you moved your face till it was about 20cm away. After trying it on that Bravia I'm considering it so it can't be too bad

32" at 1900x1080 means a huge dot pitch that will look shit at 2 feet away. 27" is already pushing it.

Don't worry about it, it's no worse image wise then sitting very close to your current monitor - like if you moved your face till it was about 20cm away. After trying it on that Bravia I'm considering it so it can't be too bad

I'm willing to give to give it a go.....fuck it

32" at 1900x1080 means a huge dot pitch that will look shit at 2 feet away. 27" is already pushing it.

have you been following this, or actually just made an unfounded comment, based on your beliefs

rather than actual knowledge?

have you been following this, or actually just made an unfounded comment, based on your beliefs

I don't get what you're trying to say. Its true.

Doesn't mean it won't look good, but it won't look as good as a 24" monitor or anything like that. However, I'm using my 37" at 1680x1050 from abut 1.5 metres away and while its not as sharp as my monitor, its still easy as fuck to read text and stuff.

Yep the microwaves sure look good, but I have always been a SHARP brand buyer when it comes to MW ovens. They seem to make the best one out there IMHO.

I am looking at it because it is a Microwave, Convection Oven & Grill all in one. My current upright range has a dead oven element (again) and the rest is falling apart. Well it is over 30 years old.

:P

Don't really need a full size oven so thought one of those and a benchtop hotplate would suit my limited needs.

Plus my existing Microwave is starting to get a bit past it's best, to say the least.

I know that a TV cant bend the laws of physics and that bigger dot pitch equals blur especially when it's being watched from at least a quarter the distance its been designed for.

I know that a TV cant bend the laws of physics and that bigger dot pitch equals blur especially when it's being watched from at least a quarter the distance its been designed for.

I'll be sitting about 2.5' away when at my desk (could probably manage 3', it's a pretty big desk) I usually watch movies etc laying on the lounge - which makes my current 27.5" seem pretty small (ish) - I'm thinking/hoping that it's a decent compromise - what I gain in movies/TV shows etc I'm gonna lose in resolution which ever way I go. it's all downhill from 1900x1200 - I think I'll take the punt on the new LED screens from Kogan - worst comes to the worst, I saw a BenQ 24" on line for $199.......still works out cheap - a little bit more than a decent 27" monitor

I'd like a 30" Dell or Apple monitor but who in their right mind would pay that much? 5 minutes use (okay, maybe half an hour) and it's all much the same......that's your monitor. your brain/eyes adjust.

Seen JB's latest specials? This came up when I was searching. I'm not sure if the 10% discount has already been added, but bloody hell, that's ridiculously cheap. I'm going to google that brand now and thing about whether my budget can stretch to a tv.

Those Okano televisions are made by soniq apparantly, not exactly a great brand, but being the owner of a cheap 1080p lcd myself (senzu) they probably won't be too bad.

*EDIT* Actually, apparantly they aren't...should learn to read a full thread before posting ( I found a whirlpool thread where someone said they were soniq)

Edited by nukejockey

I'm happy with the 32" Kogan, my eyes adjusted to the difference in resolution (1920X1200 to 1920x1080) pretty quickly - nothing (ie: print) is blurred or anything - no issues at all, it's actually a better monitor than my old one.

it suits my purposes perfectly.

:)

I've been tossing up between one of those VeiwSonic 27" LCDs and ond of these http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16025 . I've got a 22" Chimei but I'd like a bigger one to go with my new rig. Got a 40" BRAVIA too which worked well as a monitor for a while, I never played any games that really pushed it though, Deus Dx, Rome TW and Vampire: Bloodlines mostly.

I have the Samsung Series 6 32" HD LED LCD TV and the max screen resolution I can get out of it is 1920x1080i, however that does not display correctly for some reason so I have to knock it back to 1600 x 1200 or something so that I can fit everything in the screen. What is rather odd also is that I set games at 1080i and they display perfectly...

Anyway, any conventional LED screen made for computers is going to be better in displaying higher screen resolutions than a HD LED LCD TV.

If you are going to go with the TV solution I would suggest buying either a Samsung or Sony brand TV as I have found they are superior in quality and reliability.

I have the Samsung Series 6 32" HD LED LCD TV and the max screen resolution I can get out of it is 1920x1080i, however that does not display correctly for some reason so I have to knock it back to 1600 x 1200 or something so that I can fit everything in the screen. What is rather odd also is that I set games at 1080i and they display perfectly...

Anyway, any conventional LED screen made for computers is going to be better in displaying higher screen resolutions than a HD LED LCD TV.

If you are going to go with the TV solution I would suggest buying either a Samsung or Sony brand TV as I have found they are superior in quality and reliability.

*high five* man, I have that exact same TV. What connection are you using to your PC? I was using standard d-sub for a while, and now I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable and I've never had any problem running @ 1080p. Win7 Pro / nVidia 8600GT, FWIW.

Works great as a monitor for my PC - everything is crystal-clear and sharp, the colour reproduction is very nice, BRDs look awesome (and turning motion-enhancement up a little makes it even nicer) and the larger pixels/dot pitch make it a pleasure to do all sorts of computing from bed.

The one thing I've resolved myself to, however, is the delay that seems inherent in the screen - I blame the panel (IPS, IIRC) as my old Samsung 172X has a TN panel and is noticeably more responsive than the TV.

*high five* man, I have that exact same TV. What connection are you using to your PC? I was using standard d-sub for a while, and now I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable and I've never had any problem running @ 1080p. Win7 Pro / nVidia 8600GT, FWIW.

Works great as a monitor for my PC - everything is crystal-clear and sharp, the colour reproduction is very nice, BRDs look awesome (and turning motion-enhancement up a little makes it even nicer) and the larger pixels/dot pitch make it a pleasure to do all sorts of computing from bed.

The one thing I've resolved myself to, however, is the delay that seems inherent in the screen - I blame the panel (IPS, IIRC) as my old Samsung 172X has a TN panel and is noticeably more responsive than the TV.

Yeah I am running a nvidia GT220 via HDMI direct to the TV. Not sure that there is an issue with going straight from the HDMI port rather than from DVI -> HDMI but yeah, works great at the resolution I have it at.