Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Antraman

ASUS VE278Q 27" LED opinions

I'm thinking of upgrading from the ASUS VK266H 26" LCD to the ASUS VE27Q LED 27" LED

Reasons for this are that I want to run a multi monitor setup and want them all to be the same size. The 26" LCD's are not in production anymore, though some can be had on ebay, but MSY is selling the 27" LED's for a only little bit more than what you can get the 26" LCD's for....

I'd like to know what peoples experience is with the 27" LED panels. The 26" wasn't bad, but I felt its colour gamut wasn't wide enough and I get banding on softly gradating tones in games. Plus I don't need 6x built in webcams 8-).

Edited by Antraman

I'd like to know what peoples experience is with the 27" LED panels. The 26" wasn't bad, but I felt its colour gamut wasn't wide enough and I get banding on softly gradating tones in games. Plus I don't need 6x built in webcams 8-).

My understanding is you are going to get that to some degree on all TN panels. Have you considered the 120Hz panels? They are meant to be awesome for gaming if you have the GPU power to back them up. I'm currently tossing up whether to get one or go for a IPS panel and suffer some motion blur. Seems my leaning changes daily. If you play lots of FPS games i'd certainly look at 120Hz.

Nah, no FPS...just Eve Online..., but also mainly for trading, which doesn't really require 3D graphics. Gaming is just a bonus usage of the setup I need. Am using an Eyefinity 6.

Well I got the ASUS VE278Q 27" LED monitor today, at a pretty good price of $488. The box was massive and it felt like I was walking out of the shop with a new TV.

Set up was dead easy, and there was no change to software, apart from icons being moved around a bit.

I am quite impressed with the panel actually. Its bright, and the colour gamut was smoothly displayed as gradated tone, as opposed to the VK266H it was replacing.

I connected it up to my ATI 5870 Eyefinity 6 along with an ASUS 24" screen (I plan to eventually get 6x 27") and was a bit disappointed to see that there was some jerkiness in rendering scenes in game (Eve Online - which isn't so graphics intensive). I thought this strange, so played around with the Screen Resolution dialog and discovered that the 24" inch was set as my main, and the 27 as secondary. I swapped them over, and the jerkiness seemed to go. Good.

Next, because it is so bright, I began mucking around with the display settings. Firstly, the user guide that comes in the package is absolutely shit. Printed in about 2000 different languages, and the English section I found when I got the magnifying glass out. Needn't have bothered though,...the quick start guide tells you fuck all what some of the settings are, like ASCR and Trace Free, and more importantly how they should be used.

So now I have fucked up the display settings and my screen now looks like crap....to blue, too bright, and way too sharp. I guess I can always reset the settings though.

Next thing I did was download and install the latest ATI drivers. I gather it was this one http://www2.ati.com/drivers/11-2_vista64_w..._dd_ccc_ocl.exe - 11.2's with the new Catalyst Control Centre. Uninstalled 10's and driver sweeped the machine, then ran 11.2's in administrator mode. Install went well, but now when I do certain things like drag a window or resize it, I get a jittery flash of torn window graphics at the bottom half if the screen. This is not good.

I'll play around with some installation settings and perhaps rollback to an earlier driver to see if things improve.

Still, the picture does look damn nice, and makes my old LCD's picture look cloudy, old and yellowed...

damn its bright. I'm gonna get raster burn in my eyes if I don't turn the brightness down...

So the resolution of these are only 1920x1080...

Whats the deal with large monitors with this crappy resolution?

cheaper manufacturing costs, higher demand in the marketplace for 1080P

personally I think 1080P on a 27" screen looks pretty bad, I tried it on a U2711 which was also 16:9.

btw antraman your going to need more GPU horsepower to run 6 of these in eyefinity.

Edited by nesquick

cheaper manufacturing costs, higher demand in the marketplace for 1080P

personally I think 1080P on a 27" screen looks pretty bad, I tried it on a U2711 which was also 16:9.

You would think Asus would understand there's a money spending group out there who would pay a bit more for a 27" 2560 x 1440 LED monitor, seems a bit short sighted to offer nothing in that range...

Couldn't agree more re the looking bad - on TV's where you're 3 metres away its all good - but from the 500mm that you sit from your monitor it would look chunky.

problem is the only panels that are 16:10 and the 27" 16:9 ones that can display 2560x1440 are S-PVA and they cost a fortune to most people, I want to get another U2711 but at $680 its not really on my list of priorities.

edit: I think there is a TN samsung panel thats 24" and 1920x1200 (which is contrary to what I just said :P)

Edited by nesquick

edit: I think there is a TN samsung panel thats 24" and 1920x1200 (which is contrary to what I just said :P)

2443BW+ TN Panel.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peri...b=specification

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search...W%2B&spos=3

And if you have the $$ for a 6 panel setup then

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16795

may rock your boat.

These are C-PVA panels.

And if you have the $$ for a 6 panel setup then

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=16795

may rock your boat.

These are C-PVA panels.

get 6 of these http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/product...&redirect=1 which are better anyway IPS>PVA anyday and then get the 2 proluma stands you need for 6 monitors.

btw antraman your going to need more GPU horsepower to run 6 of these in eyefinity.

Why do you say this?

LOL what? Crappy resolution? Its the Full HD standard.

And thats just it, its standard. I prefer to go beyond the standard. :)

Take for instance a 24 inch monitor. It has a resolution of 1920x1200. That means I have more pixels in the area of my monitor then a 24" showing 1920x1080. It means that the gaps between the pixels is less. When you then extrapolate it out to a 27" monitor showing 1920x1080, the gaps between the pixels is even greater...

Using this calculator : http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

Display size: 23.53" × 13.24" (59.77cm × 33.62cm) = 81.59 PPI, 0.3113mm dot pitch, 6657 PPI² (27" monitor at 1920x1080 has 6657 pixels per inch)

Display size: 20.35" × 12.72" (51.69cm × 32.31cm) = 94.34 PPI, 0.2692mm dot pitch, 8900 PPI² (24" monitor at 1920x1200 has 8900 pixels per inch)

Of course these are all just numbers, if your happy with your display and like the look of it, then they're unimportant.

And thats just it, its standard. I prefer to go beyond the standard. :)

Take for instance a 24 inch monitor. It has a resolution of 1920x1200. That means I have more pixels in the area of my monitor then a 24" showing 1920x1080. It means that the gaps between the pixels is less. When you then extrapolate it out to a 27" monitor showing 1920x1080, the gaps between the pixels is even greater...

Using this calculator : http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

Display size: 23.53" × 13.24" (59.77cm × 33.62cm) = 81.59 PPI, 0.3113mm dot pitch, 6657 PPI² (27" monitor at 1920x1080 has 6657 pixels per inch)

Display size: 20.35" × 12.72" (51.69cm × 32.31cm) = 94.34 PPI, 0.2692mm dot pitch, 8900 PPI² (24" monitor at 1920x1200 has 8900 pixels per inch)

Of course these are all just numbers, if your happy with your display and like the look of it, then they're unimportant.

Well thats all very nice, but in my opinion full HD 1080p or 1200 is way too small to see any detail clearly on a 24", especially type, you have to squint to see everything available. On a 27" things become much easier to see and read. And full HD is used on big screen TV's 40., 50 100" so having it on a 27" is far from crappy, in my view.

Well thats all very nice, but in my opinion full HD 1080p or 1200 is way too small to see any detail clearly on a 24"

Time to get your eyes checked dude.

:P

Im picking up a VE278Q from msy ipswich today, wish me luck. Hopefully i can test it in store for dead pixels. Upgrading from a chimei 22" which i have used for around 3-4 years. Will be used next to a 24" asus lcd.

will let you guys know about my thoughts.

Edited by buddylove

alright, so far so good. Im enjoying using the screen. I feel like im already used to the bigger screen though.

+no dead pixels

-out of the box brightness is terrible, way way too bright

I have found this with all my LCD screens, just seem to be set too bright from the get go, or perhaps it is just me.

:P

Bought a BenQ M2700HD a few weeks back and I have to say that it is great to have such a hughe panel, even when the res is 'only' 1920x1080, the gameplay becomes way more immersive. Upgraded from a Samsung 22". Obviously not LED, but therefore a few bugs chaeper that I could invest in the EA steam special ;-)

alright, so far so good. Im enjoying using the screen. I feel like im already used to the bigger screen though.

+no dead pixels

When I calibrated my monitor using a Syder2 I thought the end result was also too bright. So I played around with brightness settings to make it look 'normal' to my eye, but then every calibration site or graphic I visit tells me my monitor is too dark (Quick example I see 2 grey circles not 3).

I don't use strong light in my PC room so perhaps this screen should be used in a well lit room at higher screen brightness.

+no dead pixels

When I calibrated my monitor using a Syder2 I thought the end result was also too bright. So I played around with brightness settings to make it look 'normal' to my eye, but then every calibration site or graphic I visit tells me my monitor is too dark (Quick example I see 2 grey circles not 3).

I don't use strong light in my PC room so perhaps this screen should be used in a well lit room at higher screen brightness.

haha nice, i can see 3 circles, must mean i calibrated mine correctly going by what looks best for me :)

i just wish i could turn the damn Dynamic contrast ratio off on my LG L225WT monitor...

Edited by nobodyishere