Sign in to follow this  
Squidy

New Graphics Card

I've currently got a 4870x2 2gb card and I'm looking to upgrade to something faster. I've been told to get the GTX 480 or whatever it is... But is it much of an upgrade? I dont just want to get a minor upgrade if I'm shelling out cash.

Any suggestions?

GTX580 OR HD6970 for the really high end ... GTX480 is obselete.

Value for money, get the GTX570.

Edited by Jeruselem

GTX580 OR HD6970 for the really high end ... GTX480 is obselete.

Value for money, get the GTX570.

Jerusalem summed it up pretty well there.

i moved from 4870x2 to gtx480 which is much the same performance as gtx570

at stock clocks the 4870x2 performed much the same as the gtx480 in a few games where crossfire worked really well but in all others the gtx480 was faster by verying amounts

with watercooling the gtx480 overclocked rather well giving it a big perfomrance boost over the 4870x2

so your options would be a 6950 or two or as suggested above

I went from a GTX 295 to a GTX 580 and extremely happy with the upgrade. Although pure GPU grunt didn't increase all the much the fluidity of my games did. Most games minimum frame rates went up and it's just a nicer experience. Not to mention all the extras that are available in a modern GPU.

Edited by smakme7757

I've currently got a 4870x2 2gb card and I'm looking to upgrade to something faster. I've been told to get the GTX 480 or whatever it is... But is it much of an upgrade? I dont just want to get a minor upgrade if I'm shelling out cash.

Any suggestions?

the 4870X2 is still a great card, but, it's currently worth shit ($150-180), I'm hanging on to mine for a while longer, I'd be inclined just to pick up another 4870X2 for shit.....

unless you've suddenly become a benchmark freak, or desperately want to run the new 3DMark......is there really a point?

I'd wait 'til next generation comes out, at least.....they may bring out something really innovative (actually 'they' already have:

Wireless Graphics card - KFA2 GTX 460 WDHI review

KFA2 / Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 WHDIOne innovative product that dropped like a bomb into the market a couple of weeks ago is the KFA2/Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 WHDI with the card transmitting a wireless signal to your HDTV. An idea that originates from Intel actually, as they also have WHDI solutions these days.

But think about it, a graphics card with no monitor connectors attached to it, yet when you look at the HDTV you see your desktop in 1920x1080P perfectly clear and fine, ... all transmitted through the air. The concept surely is miraculous and even weirder, it works surprisingly well !

You can read the entire article right here.

Direct URL:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/wireless-gra...60-wdhi-review/

unless your 4870X2 is going slow in some game that you play?