The Tick

Girls names

I've always liked the idea of using a family name. You could have the first name from your family and the middle name from hers or vise versa. For example my Grandmother is Evelyn so I like the name Eva. Elizabeth, Elanor are also in the family however my mum won't be honoured as her name is Paula Gaye, not names that go so well today.

Also, yay for babies :D

My nieces name is Frejya (frey-ah), which I think is nice.

Frejya all to often becomes friesian like the cow.

I recognise those words but the meaning drawn from stringing them together escapes me.

It's all in the spelling I guess... A friend of mines girlfriend at the time had the same name but it was spelt Freisa or something similar.

Well, my sister's man-friend is Swedish and the name is based on the Nordic god Freja/Freyja. I don't know how the "zeh" sound is going to get into the name as the Nords didn't have that consonant, I don't think. Edited by tantryl

Amby, I liked Jezebel too, but when I mentioned it to a previous boyfriend when we were playing the "what will we name our non existant future kids" game hahaha, he hated. He couldnt get past the whole biblical reference to a "slut" basically and he didnt want that name or connection for his (non existent!) daughter. He was worried that a false reputation could be developed based on a name alone.

Its a shame, I liked that name too, but I can see his point. I didnt even know it had that reference until he told me... I get it because there are some names I would never use, such as Michelle, because every Michelle I have ever known has been an utter bitch and it just stirs negative emotions in me lol. It makes me think of that horrible girl from school...I know not every Michelle is that horrible bitch but the name alone makes me think of her.

Funny how it can ruin the entire name for you.

I also liked your suggestion of Arielle, it's pretty :)

I kind of hate my first name, Danielle. I guess it is similar to Arielle, maybe its the whole male connection of the name, the feminine form of Daniel. I really hate it when people are either too stupid or too lazy to read my name properly and say/spell it "Daniel". IM NOT A BOY!!!

I also dont like people shortening my name to Dani. Its too male, and I hate it. Maybe because in school, do you guys remember the jingle for that chocolate custard..."DANNY TASTES GREAT!!"? Well, I used to get teased mercilessly over that, so wouldnt allow ANYONE to shorten my name to Dani. It upset my mum because she wanted to nickname me after Danni Minogue, and Id be like DONT CALL ME DANI!!! My nickname instead was Delle.

The other thing I hate with my name, is that some people interpret it as "Dan-yell". I fucking HATE that more than people calling me Dani! It's "Dani-Elle". 3 syllabols, not 2!!

Edited by CheekyChops

Cloe was on the list until it was revealed that my wife's sister had apparently at some point in time laid claim to it as a potential name for a so far non existent child.

Thanks again peeps. There are a few here I plan to shop around. I have Arielle has already been shot down ("what, like the little mermaid?")

Eva was one I actually liked but was struck out on two counts - one, it's the name of one of my wife's close friends and secondly, we have that EW abbreviation to consider.

Cloe was on the list until it was revealed that my wife's sister had apparently at some point in time laid claim to it as a potential name for a so far non existent child.

Thanks again peeps. There are a few here I plan to shop around. I have Arielle has already been shot down ("what, like the little mermaid?")

Eva was one I actually liked but was struck out on two counts - one, it's the name of one of my wife's close friends and secondly, we have that EW abbreviation to consider.

Avril ?

Belinda

Colleen

Dac'e (pronounced Datsee)

Edith

Francine/Fiona

Gilda

and so on..

Amby, I liked Jezebel too, but when I mentioned it to a previous boyfriend when we were playing the "what will we name our non existant future kids" game hahaha, he hated. He couldnt get past the whole biblical reference to a "slut" basically and he didnt want that name or connection for his (non existent!) daughter. He was worried that a false reputation could be developed based on a name alone.

Its a shame, I liked that name too, but I can see his point. I didnt even know it had that reference until he told me... I get it because there are some names I would never use, such as Michelle, because every Michelle I have ever known has been an utter bitch and it just stirs negative emotions in me lol. It makes me think of that horrible girl from school...I know not every Michelle is that horrible bitch but the name alone makes me think of her.

Funny how it can ruin the entire name for you.

I also liked your suggestion of Arielle, it's pretty :)

I kind of hate my first name, Danielle. I guess it is similar to Arielle, maybe its the whole male connection of the name, the feminine form of Daniel. I really hate it when people are either too stupid or too lazy to read my name properly and say/spell it "Daniel". IM NOT A BOY!!!

I also dont like people shortening my name to Dani. Its too male, and I hate it. Maybe because in school, do you guys remember the jingle for that chocolate custard..."DANNY TASTES GREAT!!"? Well, I used to get teased mercilessly over that, so wouldnt allow ANYONE to shorten my name to Dani. It upset my mum because she wanted to nickname me after Danni Minogue, and Id be like DONT CALL ME DANI!!! My nickname instead was Delle.

The other thing I hate with my name, is that some people interpret it as "Dan-yell". I fucking HATE that more than people calling me Dani! It's "Dani-Elle". 3 syllabols, not 2!!

I think part of the reason I like Jezebel is because of the Biblical reference. A kind of, 'In your face'.

As for shortening...I hate being called Mandy. I won't reply to it. It's Amanda or Manda and that's it. Call me Mandy and I will ignore you. I am not a Mandy.

That's exactly what Tom said when I suggested it. It is pronounced differently (Ah-ri-elle to Air-ri-elle) - and I would have loved to be named after the Little Mermaid. She was awesome to a five year old girl!

Paris.

Hilton.... at first I was like XD then I was like :| then I was like :(

Estella

Grace

Gwenifer

Merideth

Jacinta

Rebeca

Talitha

Saskia

I think part of the reason I like Jezebel is because of the Biblical reference. A kind of, 'In your face'.

You would like it for that reason. Slut : p

How many middle names will she have?

most have one, our family all have two. ive known a bloke with five.

for names:

Alyx

Bryce

Camilla

Delila

Erin

Felicity

Gabrielle

Hannah

Imogen

Jennifer

Kilone (KI-lone, or Chilone)

Lauren

Megan

Nicole

Olivia

Pricilla

Quinne

Rhiannon

Stacey

Tonnille/Toniqua

Urist :P Ultima

Vicky

Wenda

Xanthia

Yasmine

Zoey

Being a teacher sucks -- so many names that I simply cannot stomach the idea of using. Violet was a close second to Miranda for us, and I still like the name. I've tended to go for names of characters in books (and the occasional play) and I haven't had any complaints so far.