Morgoth

Pretty sure I just bricked my system

Well I'm not 100% sure what, but I think something is fucked.

Short long story:

I purchased a 3-way (on-off-on) switch to hook 6 fans up to for 5v/off/12v switching, I wired it up, the switch is tiny and there's not much room between the metal tabs, anywho I tested it on a spare PSU and then hooked it up to my pc, works great but I hadn't secured it and soldered etc etc.

The wires weren't touching, even though they were super close, used my PC for about 2 days, the occasional flick back to 12v for a game or whatever.

Before I continue, my X58A-UD3R has always had short bootlooping issues, I just wait for it to do it's thing and reload settings from the bios, it does it approx 50% of the time and I hadn't bothered to root out the cause.

Anyway I get home tonight, flick the fan switch I had hanging out of my PC and hit the power button.

it shuts off in a millisecond and doesn't boot again, like it would during a normal bootloop problem.

my mobo only shows 1 yellow and 1 green LED on next to the RAM and nothing else.

I pull the switch off, I am 100% certain a wire shorted with another one in close proximity on the temporary connected switch and caused the PSU to emergency shutoff.

I pull the plug, put it back in, hit the button and same again, milisecond flash of my cathodes and a little red led flash from top right area next to ram. (my fans are huge so they dont get spun so easy)

I pull all the ram out, try again, same lights and no startup.

put 1 stick in, still the same, this is after clearing CMOS too.

Put them all back in and gave up for now.

I'm pretty sure I fucked my motherboard somehow. Unless anyone else has some bright ideas.

And I don't really want to pull every device off, cpu and 2 gtx480's on water is super awkward to fling around disconnecting, plus those devices obviously aren't the issue, different story if this was an unsuccessful boot after first build story.

Oh well, it's not the cost that bothers me, it's the prospect of pulling the pc apart that's annoying as hell.

I wish I knew more about those lights' meaning for when the PC wont power on

holy shit man ...noooooooo !!!!

your rig is awsome ...

wish you all the best man but unfortunatley have no good or useful advise

iv bricked shit before with these exact symptons

once again all the best hope it's something simple

From a quick Google seach a Gigabyte forum post came up about hte leds:

For voltage leds, groups of them are circled in the manual, one on top is CPU, one below on the other side of memory is DDR, one immediately below that is SB voltage and the leftmost is NB voltage. If you didn't overclock anything, all leds should be off. Sometimes motherboard decides to overvolt something if left on auto, so watch out if those light up.

Frequency leds are freaking bright blue, you will not mistake it for anything. All of them light up when bclock is above 170 or so.

CPU temp leds are the lower 2 leds in CPU group (circled on top). NB temp are lower 2 in the NB group (I think, they are covered with heatsink so can't really tell).

Phase led (CPU load) is lower group of 4 just below frequency led.

NB and DDR phase leds are middle and lower 2 leds in DDR group (I think...).

Thanks for the support haha =D

I dug up my manual, the two LED is just yellow rating on the NB/RAM phase LED's which is totally normal when I operate this RAM.

So the LED's don't help me :/

Yeah - I'm worried you say theres two on (I assume on the one bar?) - From what I can tell, should only be one

:(

Edited by Khirareq

bugger

there is times when you just get sick of fiddling with the guts of a pc and want them to work for a while isnt there hope it turns out to be easyer than it seems

ive had things shot before like when a cheap fanc ontroler blew and shutdown the pc smokeing up the room but everything survived

vmoded 8800gt wasnt so lucky when i bumped the pins together while upgrading the mb\cpu

i doubt there is anything we can suggest you dont already know just run threw the basics

to pull the gpu\s just unslot them stick some carbord between and leave em hang so you dont have to disconect to much shit

Yeah I just don't enjoy it as much when one nudge can cost me several hundred if not a thousand bux.

I wish I had a spare PSU to power it, if the HX is the cause, I'd like to know, would save my pulling the whole thing to bits.

is there anyway to kick in the backup BIOS. Try booting while pressing **** double checking.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to boot into the backup BIOS (your board has hte dual BIOS right?) although i can't find the key combination. You might have scrambled the BIOS is what i'm getting at :).

Edited by smakme7757

I dunno, I just flicked the battery out now, I'll wait a few minutes

Hoping for a positive reply :)

Edited by smakme7757

I don't think it's likely I killed the PSU, the should be able to handle some feedback, it should shut itself off before damage occurs, looking alot like mobo?

*clicks tongue*

I spent two years replacing caps on a Soltek mobo to keep a system running before I discovered it was the PSU at fault - Was a Zalman PSU and thought it should've been good enough

Edited by Khirareq

Yeah I just don't enjoy it as much when one nudge can cost me several hundred if not a thousand bux.

I wish I had a spare PSU to power it, if the HX is the cause, I'd like to know, would save my pulling the whole thing to bits.

hhhmm iv also had these symptons from a dud psu ...you maby on to something

Okay battery didn't help, still those two lights.

I find those lights to be odd, the orange phase light is normal because I run overclocked settings daily, but if I reset the bios then it should not still have those lit up.

I think next step is to unhook all the watercooling, take out the mobo power it up on a bench with stock cooler and my 4870x2 card (stock cooler so much easier than jacking a 480 in there still on the loop)

Okay battery didn't help, still those two lights.

I find those lights to be odd, the orange phase light is normal because I run overclocked settings daily, but if I reset the bios then it should not still have those lit up.

I think next step is to unhook all the watercooling, take out the mobo power it up on a bench with stock cooler and my 4870x2 card (stock cooler so much easier than jacking a 480 in there still on the loop)

Yea it sounds like a mobo problem to me, but i gues we have to wait and see how it goes on your test bench.

Well I got one last card to play, and that's if I can get ahold of aliali tomorrow and see if he's got a decent psu I can test on it.

I'd rather wait and test PSU before risking busting a 480 while pulling the system to bits.

It must be getting late there anyway, but if you anything like me i have trouble going to bed when i problem like this happens. i want to fix it NOW!!! =D

It's pretty tempting to do it all right now :/

I just looked at my power meter trying to boot.

The device sees 60w spike is all.

Sure ain't getting far

got a multimeter? try jump starting the psu and check the v lines with nothing pluged in or maybe just a few fans

Na I don't :/

My brother has one, but he lives out of town.

fark, I'll pull it apart now, I guess I'll have to at some point

Okay I set it up on the bench, same thing as before, but now I am able to see two very faint slowly blinking red lights on the top right led strip.

I'll now test the psu on it's own without mobo and see if it starts up

PSU works, shorted the power plug with a wire and plugged some fans in.

I'm still stumped as to how I killed the motherboard (assuming it's the mobo, and fuck hopefully not the CPU, but you'd think it would power on with a dead CPU)

The initial shorted fan switch was connected to just PSU cables, nothing on that line was to the mobo. Oh well, maybe it didn't like a small upset

Scrapped the commant. I have no idea really.

Does it still turn off after a milisecond? What about trying to see if your motherboard turns on an stays on if you take out the CPU?

Check this out, a guy with a similar problem: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642663

last night my gigabyte motherboard stopped posting after only 5 weeks of use. no beeps, it just powers up, the leds for the memory light up and it just sits there and wont post. i reset the cmos, didnt work. i am fairly certain it is the mobo, just to be certain, how should i go about diagnosing this problem?

Home and Away starts now gotta go =D.

Edited by smakme7757

sounds like its doing the usual things Gigacrap boards do, had 2 AM3 Gigabyte boards die on me last month after just a few weeks use both exhibiting the same behaviour as yours. if you can afford it swap it for an ASUS or if you like having a BIOS thats like trying to break in a wild stallion you could get an EVGA X58 board to.

Edited by nesquick