Morgoth

Pretty sure I just bricked my system

sounds like its doing the usual things Gigacrap boards do, had 2 AM3 Gigabyte boards die on me last month after just a few weeks use both exhibiting the same behaviour as yours. if you can afford it swap it for an ASUS or if you like having a BIOS thats like trying to break in a wild stallion you could get an EVGA X58 board to.

I've never liked Gigabyte boards, on account of them not being reliable enough, but that was AthlonXP days.

this board has been fine so far except the bootloop issues.

My last mobo was a Asus P5Q Deluxe P45, insane 775 mobo.

Just tested without CPU, exactly the same, I think the mobo is borked, I'm sure as fuck happy it didn't turn on, I really don't want a dead CPU

sounds like its doing the usual things Gigacrap boards do, had 2 AM3 Gigabyte boards die on me last month after just a few weeks use both exhibiting the same behaviour as yours. if you can afford it swap it for an ASUS or if you like having a BIOS thats like trying to break in a wild stallion you could get an EVGA X58 board to.

I've never liked Gigabyte boards, on account of them not being reliable enough, but that was AthlonXP days.

this board has been fine so far except the bootloop issues.

My last mobo was a Asus P5Q Deluxe P45, insane 775 mobo.

Just tested without CPU, exactly the same, I think the mobo is borked, I'm sure as fuck happy it didn't turn on, I really don't want a dead CPU

I can't say i've had any major problems with the two Gigabyte boards i've had. This current one and an old GA-X48-DQ6, but i will admit that my Asus Rampage X48 was by far the best board i have ever owned, rock solid!

I guess I should think about a replacement.

What non gigabyte x58 boards do people recommend for performance under $300?

I need to order something while I RMA this I guess

I know it sounds stupid, but that Stupid looking Sabertooth board looks to be decent, after looking up testing on it for OCing

See that post loop to me is unacceptable, why put up with things like that when it should post normally everytime?

as per what board

ASUS P6X58-E

ASUS rampage gene

EVGA X58 SLI3

would all be fine

Edited by nesquick

The P6X58D-E looks very tempting, seems more overclocking breed than the ugly sabertooth thing.

Cyber, it does it with IBT stable clocks =D

even mild 4ghz no ht, relaxed ram speed/timings.

Still get the bootloop OC failed 50% of the time on a cold boot.

I've spent enough time with it to know it's not an unstable OC.

I've had it boot fine at 4.5Ghz cold, and other times OC fail with 3.8.

I would test that, but I can't.

and I know where you're aiming, and I can tell you now, I've done enough mild voltage (aka stock) testing with super easy clocks and ram, and it still happens irregularly.

The only thing I can think of is this board occasionally spits the dummy with this Gkill Elpida sticks.

they all do it eventually cyber, its a gigabyte thing and IMO related to the dual bios feature trying to reflash the primary bios but corrupting both somehow in the process.

Yeah, I was going to say, reboot loops are usually memory related.

Edit: They don't all do it, I've used Gigabyte exclusively for all my builds, and have never had an issue.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Edit: They don't all do it, I've used Gigabyte exclusively for all my builds, and have never had an issue.

Yeah that's about the only thing I could put it to, but having the RAM run 2000mhz (its rated speed) at cas8 for hours without issue meant it isn't quite incompatible.

Either way, I am not sad at losing this board, I just hope only the board is rooted.

I can live without a main PC for a week, but I want a decent replacement before I return this mobo under warranty

not to start an argument but I havev used heaps of them (at least 6 gigabyte boards in the past with dual bios) and every single one bar a really old G31 board without the dual bios feature has done it at some point, its only a theory but the guy who owns my local Umart claims they get so many Gigabyte boards back with the infinite post loop for RMA they almost don't even bother checking them anymore they just send them cause they know what it is.

I just popped in an RMA request with PCCG.

Without having another board to test the rest of my shit, it seems to be the only conclusion.

I asked for a longshot and said upon processing the dead mobo, instead of sending a replacement I'll take a P6X58D-E and pay any difference if any, see if they go at it lawl

Right it's nap time soon, I'll yank the cmos battery out overnight for one last try tomorrow, then it's gettin the axe.

I just popped in an RMA request with PCCG.

Without having another board to test the rest of my shit, it seems to be the only conclusion.

I asked for a longshot and said upon processing the dead mobo, instead of sending a replacement I'll take a P6X58D-E and pay any difference if any, see if they go at it lawl

Right it's nap time soon, I'll yank the cmos battery out overnight for one last try tomorrow, then it's gettin the axe.

Ah well that's a shame, i'm off to the pub, have a nice sleep!

Odd. Maybe its related to the sea air near the coast.

yea maybe, could be I was pushing them to hard? this was when I used to bench alot, now everything of mine is for the most part run at stock.

Odd. Maybe its related to the sea air near the coast.

yea maybe, could be I was pushing them to hard? this was when I used to bench alot, now everything of mine is for the most part run at stock.

For me, any board that cannot keep up with the potential of my cpu/ram isn't good enough.

I put up with the bootloop while OCing because I doubt I'd get it RMA'd and I CBF selling it

Yeah GB boards are a bit of a mixed bag.

My old P35-DS3P is still running in a friends PC after 4 years, the X48 I bought off nessy is still going in my brother's rig, the P45 in my girlfriend's rig is still going strong, but my board is a bit hit and miss.

Bad luck on that anyway Morgoth, I know what you mean about not wanting to pull it apart, basically running the exact same water cooling config as you and I don't want to touch my innards ever again.

I'm enjoying my P67A-UD7, it works extremely well and has allowed some fantastic overlcocks. But Gigabyte technical support is fucking hopeless. Because of this i'll be buying ASUS next time, they insulted my intelligence something shocking and those cunts won't be seeing another penny for a long while!

speaking of bootloop issues, my old school p5q pro doesnt post for about 5 minutes if its powered off for a long time, have to let it run in limbo for about 5-10 minutes then repower up and it posts, does this on stock settings aswel as oc settings. ive come to the conclusion that its because my memory is not on the QVL (i bough the ram long before i had the mobo) i have no other branded ram to test with it, only non QVL corsair sticks. Anyway morgoth goodluck and i hope u get it all sorted soon

My current and last boards have both been Gigabyte and I have no issues at all.

They both are still up and running.

I had a CPU die on me in my old ASUS board which caused it to power up for a second and shut down.

All fans and case LED's powered on, then nothing.

Hope all goes well with your RMA!

Okay I got my RMA number this morning, the board is in the mail now, I tested a spare PSU from aliali and it still wouldn't power up, good enough for me to say it's the mobo.

pretty sad to hear mate, I was having similar trouble when i was finish project blue, turned out some solder on the back of the fan controllers pcb was stopping the pc from booting, lucky. push the pcb back into its little holder and presto pc booted first time.

least you can rma.

man i so want a tiny pc now.... mark made me very jealous. maybe i should sell some stuff haha

I should stop reading this thread in case my two newest machines get any ideas.

So far so good though. At one stage the desktop I have was a bit reluctant to start, but that seems to have completely settled down now. The web server is still going strong. Both have Gigabyte boards, one AM3, the other Atom D510. Both will be about a year old in a few months time.

I apologise, I haven't read the thread in it's entirety.

If you shorted the 5v or 12v to ground, it's unlikely you've ruined anything but your PSU. It the 12v was shorted to 5v, well, then it's likely anything connected to the 5v was fried.

[edit]: Oh, issue is way past the debugging point :P

Rob.

Edited by robzy