Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

Dead Island

Dead Island is coming to all 3 platforms, but the Console fags obviously don't want people who plan to play the game on the PC platform to post in their forums, so I've decided to make a new thread in here so people who steer clear of the console forums (with good reason, mind you) can see possibly one of the best pre-rendered game trailers to ever hit the interwebs. Along with this, I have some other info from an IGN article relating to some of the game play. I'd also like to open this thread up to a discussion about whether or not you think the trailer is really that good and if you can think of another game trailer that is better than this. Because remember, us PC folks are all about diversity. If you plan on playing this on console, thats cool, its your choice, we don't discriminate here.

Link to the article here.

For the click impaired (as I said, we don't discriminate!)

When the axe sinks into rotten flesh, it buries deep, spraying gore with its impact. The blow cripples the shambling beast, buying precious seconds. But the strike, like its predecessors, is also costly. Repeated contact with ligament and bone has blunted the scavenged weapon. It will need repair soon, and if none can be made, it will be tossed aside in favor of something shiny and new.

This is the brutal combat of Dead Island, a world overrun by infected humans. They're aggressive beasties with superhuman strength and a taste for the red stuff. Like other zombie games (and there are many), the players are the last holdouts against the tide of a shuffling undead mob. And while it would be convenient to provide them with a magical room full of firearms with which to dispatch the problem, the makers of Dead Island have settled on a different approach.

Dead Island Teaser Trailer. Watch it. Then Watch it Again.

The Royal Palms Resort is perched on the remote island of Banoi in Papua New Guinea. It's a tropical paradise turned tourist magnet, remote and exotic. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find scattered caches of weapons, boxes of grenades, rocket launchers leaning against walls, and mounted machine guns. In an effort to preserve that reality, Techland, the developers of Dead Island, have stripped those handy gaming conventions away, leaving a stark reality in their place.

Rather than run-and-gun their way through a meat maze, players will be forced to scavenge for objects and use them to beat their undead foes into submission. There are precious few firearms scattered around the island (and even less ammo), so the majority of the combat will be intimate. Knives, machetes, bats, broomsticks, pipes – these are your defenses against the horde of infected monsters. It's survival horror with a melee action twist, and it's disgusting.

Start choppin'.

Publisher Deep Silver and developer Techland recently showed me an early build of Dead Island, and the zombies were horrifying in their varying states of decay. With each blow, their already sloughing flesh fell away in sprays of blood, revealing layers of muscle underneath. The publisher describes Dead Island as dark, twisted and gritty, and the tiny sliver I've seen seems to support those claims. This is not the campy world of Dead Rising.

Dead Island's developers call it a "first-person zombie-slasher/action-RPG." That's a mouthful, and it's still unclear what the balance will be among those descriptors. Players will be able to choose from a cast of pre-set characters, including a former rapper named Sam B (the only character revealed so far).

If you have any doubt about how serious the Techland developers are about the setting and storyline they've created, watch the chilling Dead Island trailer. We watch a lot of video game trailers at IGN, but few cause crowds of editors to gather and watch in silence. This was one of the exceptions.

The player is cast as a guest vacationing at the posh hotel. When the zombie outbreak occurs, he and a handful of other guests remain uninfected. They set out on a mission to escape the island, but along the way, they'll uncover the secret behind the mysterious outbreak. Although Dead Island is a story-based experience, it's built for co-operative play, and Deep Silver says up to four gamers can drop in and out of the game seamlessly. But if you don't want to play with friends, you can also play through the game alone.

Although the player starts out as a simple tourist with minimal zombie-killing skills, his traits will improve along the way, thanks to a mini role-playing system built into the game. Although Deep Silver isn't spilling all the details yet, we know there will be a leveling system and a skill tree. As the player progresses, his stats will increase and he'll gain access to new combat abilities and animations.

Beautiful. In a horrible, zombie-ish sort of way.

If Dead Island sounds familiar to you, then you have a good memory. It was originally announced in 2007, but no publisher was officially attached. Techland worked on other projects in the years since, but Dead Island was slowly shuffling along in the background. Now, Deep Silver is on board, and the game seems likely to see the light of day. It's scheduled for a 2011 release on Xbox 360, PC and PS3, but no specific dates have been revealed yet.

Dead Island's concept is striking. Place players on a tropical island; surround them with zombies of varying shapes, sizes, speeds and abilities; place only found objects at their disposal; degrade their weapons over time; and set the whole adventure against a backdrop of mystery and drama. But will a first-person melee combat action game with RPG elements really work?

I've seen so little of Dead Island that it's impossible to make that call yet. The idea of an all-melee zombie game is great on paper, but when the baseball bat hits the bone, will it be exciting enough to sustain an entire game experience?

Will the constant hand-to-hand combat wear thin, or will the collectibles, storylines, environments and tense moments make up the difference?

I'm hoping to see a lot more from Dead Island in the months to come. I've been following its development for years now, and it should be fascinating to see how it turns out. Regardless, it's great to see a developer taking the zombie genre in an entirely new direction. Here's hoping the folks at Techland and Deep Silver are as good at making games as they are at making trailers.

Now for the pièce de résistance; Seriously, watch this in HD with your sound turned up, its the only way to do it.

Now for a few more videos; these are a bit older as the game was originally announced in 2007, but Techland (Call of Juarez Developers, for anyone who didn't know) couldn't find a publisher for it. I'm not sure why, it could be that the damage system could be far too realistic, or maybe the game just sucks, I don't know.

So what do you think? Does that very brief article excite you a little bit? Did the video leave you in tears? Do you think Julia Gillard will make it to the end of her term as PM? Is Global warming a farce? Has anyone else been watching this game since it was announced?

I remember looking at it way back in 2007 and getting VERY excited. A true Survival horror zombie game, we don't have many of those (RE5 springs to mind, but thats fairly linear and I'm hoping this one is more of a sandbox game) Sure we have the Left 4 Deads and the Dead Risings, but they're not true survival horror. I'm so very glad this is actually going to see the light of day. I daresay we will be seeing some gameplay videos very soon.

Im definately keeping my eye on this one, especially after that trailer. Reminds me a bit of the movie zombi 2 which was set on a tropical island aswell. So i take it it'll be the sorta quest/mission gaming style which I think could be utilised very well in a zombie game, surprised there hasn't been any before that i know of. I hope the quests can have similar consequences to what we saw in the trailer with the little girl, not just another hack and slash zombie game.

edit: I think i'll talk about the trailer more

They were treading a very thin line in having a child getting killed, but they pulled it off perfectly. It shows gaming to be a medium that is far beyond being something childish, and can affect the player the same amount and even more than other mediums like cinema can. What stays with me isn't the blood and gore, something left 4 dead 2 did, but the fathers struggle to save his daughter. This is why i think it should be should be shown to the pollies when the next r18 proposal comes up.

Edited by SlurmsMackenzie

"The idea of an all-melee zombie game is great on paper"

But in the last trailer you can very clearly see the character with shotguns etc? So, which is it? melee only or have they just made it like every other zombie game? I think I'll be avoiding this one though, too many zombie games out now, it's all the same really. Doesn't matter what weapons you have in the game, it's just a done to death (uh huh huh huh) cliche.

The only things I actually liked was in the first trailer the song sounds like one I'm actually composing right now, and 2 the beach/hut scenery.

"The idea of an all-melee zombie game is great on paper"

But in the last trailer you can very clearly see the character with shotguns etc? So, which is it? melee only or have they just made it like every other zombie game? I think I'll be avoiding this one though, too many zombie games out now, it's all the same really. Doesn't matter what weapons you have in the game, it's just a done to death (uh huh huh huh) cliche.

The only things I actually liked was in the first trailer the song sounds like one I'm actually composing right now, and 2 the beach/hut scenery.

There are very few good zombie games that I can actually think of and none that I know of that are true survival horror (Obviously not counting resident evil, as RE5 was more of a flatout action game rather than survival horror and the rest are fairly old now)

I'll be keeping an eye on this too. I love zombie themed anything.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a L4D / Dead Rising clone.

Loved the difficulty and effectiveness of the zombies in the original resident evil games.

Seeing three zombies in a room was terrifying.

Not 100000 on a main road.

As for the guns, I am hoping they are hard to find and ammo is very limited.

But essential :P.

I'll see how this pans out, I miss good horror survival games.

I'm sorry, tis all my fault :(. I didnt expect so much harsh rebuke over PC and such :(. I'll just lurk on the Console Threads, even though I also cant wait for Skyrim and Forza Motorsport 4 :p.

Anyway I heard this game was more survival unlike L4D which was more teamwork based survival ( though having lotsa ammo around you sorta removes the survival part ), and unlike DR which was more like a beatemup zombie game with a timelimit. And its probably going to be more than Killing Floor where that was more a survive a wave basis and buy new weapons to survive the next wave which works out well.

So I gather Dead Island is going to be a survival game where you use your environment and wits to stay alive, I got a feeling this might be a bit like condemned where the majority of the game is to use melee and somewhat of a firearm albeit no real way to carry lots of ammo like other FPS (which is cool). Hope the zombies in this game will either run, hop, jump and crawl their way to you.

I wonder if they going to limit you the way you grab items and such, which would be cool as you cant carry lots of things around you unlike other games. And having encumburance in carrying too many things on you.

Great preview, but I suspect the game will be same ole, same ole.

And if the girl bit is actually in the game, then I can't see myself playing it...

Checked out the trailers over the weekend - not bad... As with viremia I too love the zombie/infected genre and will keep an eye out for this.

However, what I am excited about is TellTale Games' announcement of their 'The Walking Dead' game. See my post - so as not to hijack this one.

That teaser looked fantastic - Brought up a lot of feelings and emotions.

Too bad that was all pissed away with the subsequent media releases.

Basically the game breaks down to "UFC version of Eminem can't hold his tropical concert and gets pissed off; decides to kill zombies".

After closely following this for YEARS, I will now say it's totally fucked, and not worth any attention at all.

And now this: Wired exclaimed, "It may be the best video game trailer I’ve ever seen; gorgeous, well-edited and emotionally engaging." However Wired urged caution, stating that Techland did not make the trailer and that "everyone is hyped up about a short film, not the game itself."

Basically the game breaks down to "UFC version of Eminem can't hold his tropical concert and gets pissed off; decides to kill zombies".

God damnit..

What's the source on this info anyway?

That teaser looked fantastic - Brought up a lot of feelings and emotions.

After closely following this for YEARS, I will now say it's totally fucked, and not worth any attention at all.

You've been following this for years yet you didn't know it was a game focused on killing zombies with a range melee weapons? wow.

The original storyline involved a father looking for his daughter and wife after a plane crash on the island, an emotionally driven story that would likely affect most adults.

The game also involved destructible enemies in realtime, and the demos for it were awesome, focusing not so much on the arcade feel in games like Dead Rising, but aiming for a more intimate game experience.

It's been changed from that into Dead Rising 3: Eminems PNG Zombie Rampage. Destructible zombies are gone, as the game now focuses on gameplay more like Dead Rising than anything else, with a terrible story and what seems to be an atempt to also emulate L4D.

So yeah, I've been following this for years, and I didn't know that.

The original storyline involved a father looking for his daughter and wife after a plane crash on the island, an emotionally driven story that would likely affect most adults.

The game also involved destructible enemies in realtime, and the demos for it were awesome, focusing not so much on the arcade feel in games like Dead Rising, but aiming for a more intimate game experience.

It's been changed from that into Dead Rising 3: Eminems PNG Zombie Rampage. Destructible zombies are gone, as the game now focuses on gameplay more like Dead Rising than anything else, with a terrible story and what seems to be an atempt to also emulate L4D.

So where does it say that they've taken out the zombie layer system? (god every time I say zombie layers I think of shrek)

There was never a whole lot of info released and afaik the whole plane crash story was just speculation and never confirmed by techland (unless I missed something, which I may have)

I'm sorry but I just don't see enough evidence to say this game has changed a whole lot.

So where does it say that they've taken out the zombie layer system? (god every time I say zombie layers I think of shrek)

There was never a whole lot of info released and afaik the whole plane crash story was just speculation and never confirmed by techland (unless I missed something, which I may have)

I'm sorry but I just don't see enough evidence to say this game has changed a whole lot.

Shacknews has all the info you have requested on the game info page, I just can't link to it from work.

The reason behind removing the layered damage (ogres are like onions) is that they went for a more Dead Rising approach, and having all those sequential layers just slowed the game down too much with all the zeds on screen.

Initially, it was to be a horror "whack 'em up" with heavy suspense and tension. There was a focus on individual zeds, as opposed to being a horde smashing game, and Techland said in a few interviews that they wanted the game to be personal, and have the player emotionally attached.

Also, the game is now focusing more on a L4D style method of play, with four people playing co-op.

game a victim off too much pre launch hype the people with the say see $$ if they make it something a little more commercially viable.

wow yea sorry.

The cinematic clip that put this game under the spotlight went fuckin viral, it was HUGE, so much so that they sold movie rights right after. If you ask me these changes are a late attempt at broadening the commercial appeal of the game by making it more action oriented and suited for co-op with the idea of making it more accessible ---> profitable.

oohhh man. I so hope you're all wrong. You're probably right, but I can dream...

Thing is, the GoW trailers with sentimental music work because the emotion the trailers evoke is still very "soldiery" - a professional warrior's stoicism and hope in the face of ruin and war. The game delivers an experience which (from what I gather) reasonably lines up with this theme.

The Dead Island trailer evokes the emotions of epic tragedy, great personal anguish and the desperate struggle of instantly-relatable ordinary, everyday people. This is an ambitious thing to propose in any media, games in particular.

If it turns out to be another L4D (which to be fair I've not played) or Dead Rising (which I have played) then it will have failed that ambition in spectacular fashion.

Having said that, I would be quite happy to see the game be a bit arcadey IF they also made a movie of some kind that delivered on the emotional promise of the trailer. Not necessarily a big-budget cinema release - a short (40-60 minute) feature telling the story they really wanted to tell would do it for me.