Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

Dead Island

I didnt think of getting this till it had RPG elements and Weapon making elements, when they said that the island is huge and that you got things to explore and zombies to kill. I said SOLD!

As for graphics, as long as I can see in a distance, and be able to shoot zombies in the face, its good enough for me. I don't need a super duper graphic game which is so damn realistic that I'm actually there. I don't get why games are trying to be so damn realistic........

So using a US VPN I was able to unlock my game and can now play it whenever I want.

I gotta say, I'm really digging it. I have the same niggling issues as the reviews suggest, poor presentation is the main thing, but damn is it fun. And scary.

This is the first zombie game (apart from Zomboid) where I am actually scared of going near zombies unless I absolutely have to, some areas you come across have 10 or so in the one area and I usually just go back and find something else to do.

From what I could tell with reviews, its all maps, not a big zone like Fallout 3, but so far the first "map" is huge, it includes the whole resort, I've been to the boundaries (I wasn't stopped from going further, I just didn't want to leave the safety of the areas that I already knew) of the resort and around the hotel area and it is massive.

Now I noticed someone mentioned zombie respawns and dead rising 2, I'm sorry to say that there are respawning zombies (or they could be migrating?) but it hasn't been much of an issue so far, you can easily avoid most of them and there hasn't been an area yet with too many zombies all in the one spot.

I've been exploring everywhere that I have been able to and opening/searching every "container" (its the term I'm using for things like cupboards, bags etc.) and there is so much random crap, it looks like you could make money in the game from selling things like soap, mobile phones etc. but I'm not sure if all these items are also used in crafting.

My biggest gripe with the game, is the crafting benches. You can repair your weapons, however you pay $$$ to do so, I don't understand it myself, I'd prefer to be able to fix weapons with other weapons, so like, got 2 fence pailings that are both on low dura? Why not use one to fix the other, ala Fallout: NV.

Its only a minor problem, but it really detracts from the fact that I'm simply trying to survive by scavenging, in a situation like this you would think that money would be the least precious resource.

Oh and a little bit of a spoiler that doesn't affect the story or anything, its literally 10 seconds into the game:

Right at the start, as you leave your hotel room, you can find the mum and dad from the first DI trailer

So far I'm thinking from a pure gamer point of view its definitely a 7 or 8 out of 10, but from a zombie fan point of view? 10/10 for sure! :P

Edited by NukeJockey

Hopefully that is patched by the time I get to play on Sunday late arvo/early evening.

I haven't had any issues yet, I think one quest may have been bugging out on me a bit, but I'm not too sure, didn't even know about the no-clip thing either :P

game is fairly meh atm

maybe its cause i worked myself up for fallout 3 + left 4 dead

Game has slow + fast zombies which i dont really mind except there are fast as shit and slow as shit

certain weapons are extremely overpowered and others break fairly easily.

Many things have little detail, like games such as dead rising 2, gta 4 and fallout 3 all of the little items are intricate

z's can be killed without headshots which again i dont like but thats not a biggie

when you die you lose a trivial amount of cash and get respawned with no lost progress, that really sucks.

you do have a health bar tho which is awesome.

items dont respawn but zombies do.

Just doesnt feel like a z survival game..

I've put in about 6 or 7 hours now and it's been fun. It's not as "polished" as I would have liked. Some of the animations are laughable even for a console version, and it's a little buggy in places but overall it's fun. Most of the bugs mean shit and therefore aren't noticed, but there is one that is fucking shiting me in the ass. Every fucking time you pick up a bottle of alcohol it goes straight into one of your weapon slots, replacing the weapon you were carrying when you picked up the booze. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!

I know that may seem like an overreaction to a small problem but trust me, when you drink a bottle of whiskey (for the 10th fucking time) when you meant to smash a zombies fucking head in with a moded baseball bat, you will rage. What makes it worse is that you need the alcohol for a rather useful repeatable quest. God I hope the fix that shit soon.

So yeah, it's not perfect by any means. It takes a good 3 hours or more to really warm up. It looks OK in places, but mostly it looks shit. The Aussie accents are TERRIBLE. The NPCs act like you aren't there, even when they're giving you quests. Some of the quests the NPCs give you are fucking stupid. The money thing that Nukey mentioned (thanks for the help before, Nuke) is retarded. Why they couldn't think of a believable commodity to use other than cash is beyond me. The fucking booze, AAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRGGGGGGGAAAAAA!!!!

I'm sure if I play for longer I'll find more wrong with it, but it doesn't matter. Even with all the problems, even though it's not as shiny as other AAA titles, it's still a blast to play.

game is fairly meh atm

maybe its cause i worked myself up for fallout 3 + left 4 dead

Game has slow + fast zombies which i dont really mind except there are fast as shit and slow as shit

certain weapons are extremely overpowered and others break fairly easily.

Many things have little detail, like games such as dead rising 2, gta 4 and fallout 3 all of the little items are intricate

z's can be killed without headshots which again i dont like but thats not a biggie

when you die you lose a trivial amount of cash and get respawned with no lost progress, that really sucks.

you do have a health bar tho which is awesome.

items dont respawn but zombies do.

Just doesnt feel like a z survival game..

Thats because there are Walkers and Infected, the Walkers are slower and the Infected are faster. Items do respawn, its been happening to me alot, which kind of breaks immersion in a way, but its alright because it makes it more like Diablo.

As for weapons, once again, I wouldn't say any are overpowered, you just play to your strengths, then you have the whole item level thing where white ones are shit, green ones are better, blue ones are better again and then you have orange ones (I think there might be purples too)

As for headshots, well, there have been plenty of games that allow you to kill zombies without headshots, hell I made one drown yesterday by kicking it into a pool, but it doesn't mean its bad, just different, not all zombies have to follow George A Romero's brand.

I'm hoping that they release some mod tools or something so they can make it into a real zombie survival game. It definitely feels like more of a survival game than L4D did though. But the punishment for dying is weak, I still don't like dying though.

it still is hard in some points though, if you get rushed by 5 zombies and a few are fast you are proper fucked if you cant leg it, but you can spam kick and throw weapons if low on stam

another thing is you cant kite zombies. and if you go into a area the zombie isnt meant to go into it just turns around and goes back to where it was before.....

have you figured out how to pick up food or energy cans without consuming them?

I also missed the airplane quest, would have been nice if they had a timer on the quests before they expire.

Edited by B82R3S

it still is hard in some points though, if you get rushed by 5 zombies and a few are fast you are proper fucked if you cant leg it

have you figured out how to pick up food or energy cans without consuming them?

I also missed the airplane quest, would have been nice if they had a timer on the quests before they expire.

It expires? I didn't know that, I have the quest for it, but I don't know where I'm supposed to go.

As for energy drinks/snacks/fruit afaik you can't pick them up. Kinda silly really, but not a huge problem.

I just did the first few quests in the city and had a little walk around. Shit just got real. It gets WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder once you hit the city. Staying alive while playing solo is a challenge to say the least. Creepy as fuck too >.<

i have to start again anyway, after the game got fixed all of the NPC's were zombies, freaked me the fuck out, loaded my save and the npc i was talking to was a lvl 7 walker lol

I've had two hours experience in Dead Island...

Started at 3am this morning..and CRAPPED My pants in some heated moments, loving it so far... Just need to aim properly as sensitivity is a lil too high in game, yet if I lower it, the menu mouse is too slow and takes 3 sweeps of the mouse to move it around.

:(

No real bugs I found, altho certain objects, moving over them or around them and jumping at the same time, can fling me a few feet away... which is weird..

Graphically its fine, Sound is fine too,.. I've heard of other people having some MAJOR problems with CTD's and Sound Issues..

Got caught up last night and havn't been able to give this a propper blaze yet... counting down the minutes of work today until I get home!

Glad to hear everyones response is overall a positive one, hows the weapon variety thus far? Does the pre-order bonus weapon get a lot of use?

So far weapons I have had have been:

Baseball Bat

Broom Stick

Plank of Wood

Semi automatic Pistol

Magnum Revolver

Small revolver

Desert Eagle

Sickle

Knife

Cleaver

Home made Machete

Paddle

Hat stand (lol!)

Mace

Hammer (looks like a brick hammer or something, flat on one end, sharp on the other)

Nail Hammer

I know there are more, just can't remember them.

And then crafting, some of them are just mods, some are entirely new weapons:

Deo-Bomb (deoderant cans strapped together with some kind of fuse lol)

Toxic Mod

Shock Mod (batteries + wires on a machete)

Sticky Bomb

Fire mod (rags + lighter fluid on a baseball bat)

And heaps more that I can't remember.

The weapon system is like Diablo/WOW etc. where you have Whites, Greens, Blues, Purples and Oranges, obviously the colours are rarer than white ones etc. and they also have random stats and random names.

Edited by NukeJockey

So far weapons I have had have been:

...snip...

The weapon system is like Diablo/WOW etc. where you have Whites, Greens, Blues, Purples and Oranges, obviously the colours are rarer than white ones etc. and they also have random stats and random names.

Sounds like Borderlands meets L4D, I hope it hasn't got the dodgy jumping mechanics as it did in Borderlands....

Edited by Zhaker

What do you mean by dodgy jumping mechanics?

Oh btw, its like like Left 4 Dead in subject matter only (and the fact you can coop) i spose you could say its like any zombie game.

The best part is the combat (which is apparantly much better with a 360 control) and the exploration.

Apparently the recently released Steam patch nukes your saved game progress? A pretty disastrous release by all accounts (360 code in the PC release, no clip functionality and so forth). Edge and Eurogamer reviewed it fairly harshly (Edge moreso), but nearly all user impressions are positive, it's been an odd game release for sure.

Edited by elfinke

Yeah, they released the developer build, not the retail build, which was incompatible with dev build saves.

Not a problem, I've played through the start of the game twice now and loved it both times, will be starting again this friday night with one of my mates.