Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Upgrading to AthlonXP

You'll like the profile BIO then, check it out haha

I have to admit I only have 01 and 06. That's how long it's been since I've bothered benchmarking.

Actually downloading Vantage and 11 right now after a convo with Dasa.

Can't wait till I get new bits, I'm going to bench this rig to destruction.

You know what? I think I'm gonna do some benches on my old Pentium 4 3.0GHz soon, just to see how much slower it is :-P

Hell yes let's see that net burst!

Also may have access to an x800 to test soon

It's a pity I don't have a board that can clock it (got some OEM Acer board), or graphics to keep up with you lol

3.2e is gone but still have a 2.4c few sticks of bh-5 trouble is the asus p4c800-e is dead due to vmod ripping a hole in the pcb only p4p800-e remains and it always had trouble pushing past 200fsb well it did with the pm 730 and socket adapter not sure how it would go with the 2.4c

still have these gpu to play with to

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/dasa0...rrent=cards.jpg

9700 has a crushed core

x800xtpe wouldnt overclock 5mhz without extra v

6600gt is heat damaged and unstable even with that massive p4 hsf glued to it

7600gt should go ok

not sure about the fx5500

I really need this 3.3v rail mOd, should solve my Fsb limit and allow 250mhz 2225 + on the ram!

Obligatory suicide shot, crashed while validating!

I didn't try higher yet, il get a validation later

2808Mhz

Posted Image

Edited by Morgoth

very nice :)

2808MHz on amd xp :o

Okay I just did a CPU Socket pinmod.

The L12 Mod to be precise.

On NF7 boards, CPUs with 266FSB (Tbred/XP-M) have tighter "FSB Timings" than 333/400FSB chips (XP)

This is a setting that makes FSB clocking harder on 266FSB CPUs, so to fool the Mobo that the CPU is a 333FSB chip, you need to do a wire mod.

You need a ~6mm piece of fuse wire-size wire, I used a strand of fine IDE cable wire ^^

Stick it in the appropriate socket holes to bridge the CPU pins and voila, CPU is detected as 13x166FSB instead of 133FSB!

This hopefully was why I can't hit 330+FSB on this XP-M like I could on the desktop chip with the higher stock FSB.

Mod location

Posted Image

Hah thanks!

Hopefully I can get it to do 3d at 2700+

Agreed haha

Am trying to get my old Socket A parts off my mate, and on the look out now for older gear to get my other older gear going :-P. Found heaps of Celeron 1200's, and some Pentium I's too

Wew, superpi run at 2735Mhz !

Bloody nice work, that's a bees dick of snaring the top K7 result

Thanks!

Funny how only an increase of 30MHz got me from 38.5 to 37.8

I tweaked the OS and RAM subtimings a little more.

I really need a working set of single sided BH5 so I can run 1T command rate, this is all 2t because I'm using double sided sticks.

Also that bees dick will not be reached unless I can pull some more FSB, I reckon I'll need that 3.3v rail mod, or ofc 1T w/ single sided BH5

I'm currently in my 14th day in a row of work, so I haven't been awake enough to sit in the shed for a couple of hours after work, but while I'm not in there, I will outline my game plan in list of priority.

1) Mod 3.3v rail, will raise my ram and NB voltage most importantly, I need to travel to launceston for the components required

2) once I'm cooking at a higher Fsb, il go for the hwbot world record of 3dmark01se for an xpm 2400+ which is over 22k

3) bust open the 37 second superpi barrier and reach into top ten in hwbot for this CPU

Then maybe look for more hardware,

Note: I am interested in anyone's single sided bh5 ram kits

going great morgoth!

looks like your having one hell of a time.

keep up the good work man!

Thanks mate, appreciated!

Okay, I made a trip to Jaycar today and picked up the following:

100Ohm resistor

some wire

A variable resistor, 5k I think.

the aim is to make the 3.3V rail to push ~3.5-3.7v.

Being that I've already soldered the 3.3v rail to my DIMM slots, this will also increase my RAM to this new increase =]

Put simply, you solder the 100ohm resistor into the 3.3v Sensor line, run a line off the side to a variable resistor, which is then grounded into a atx black wire.

This tricks the psu into increasing voltage because of resistance.

Result?

I can now bench 250 FSB =]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks man! I need to do it to the 12v rail hah, it reads a max of 11.5 under load.

This variable resistor is too big, I need a finer one, I just have to find the sweet spot to get it as high as possible without ocp cutting in! It's hard with 1/2mm being too much adjustment ha!

Il get it though :)

great results, Morgoth!

hey, you can have all my old athlon stuff, CPU's, NF7-S (x2), a fair few sticks of RAM (there's some Geil stuff with blue heatspreaders) vid cards, LianLi cases, Antec case, a couple of PSU, heatsinks etc etc etc for say, a case of beer

are you in sydney?

I've lost any interest in doing anything with them, so the bits may as well go where they will be used/abused

;)

^ You guys should get together and make a day of old school overclocking.... and drinking!

If you interested i have one for these laying around.

OCZ DDR1 Booster, my old XP3200 Barton system used to run it. i had 2.8volts pumped through my old 1.6v ocz ram at one points and got almost 800mhz out of it.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8010

On that note, my old systems used to overclock like hell under water. I sadly could never reach the magic 3Ghz on my 3200.

AMD 1800(T) XP @ 2.4 Ghz(1.53 stock), Asus GF4 Ti 4800 SE OC 128mb, Geil 512mb (2x256) Golden Dragon Cas2 LED DDR333.

AMD 2600(B) XP @ 2.5 Ghz(2.0 stock), XFX 6600GT EE OC 256mb, Geil 512mb (2x256) Golden Dragon Cas2 LED DDR333.

AMD 3200(B) XP @ 2.9ghz(2.2 stock), Inno3D 6800 Ultra 256mb, 2G OCZ Cas2 DDR400.

If i had my old 3dmar01 scored i'd share but they are long since gone. When future mark moved tot he new results system they deleted anything from earlier than 3dmark03.

my oldest 06 scored http://3dmark.com/3dm06/51782

Edited by Modz

great results, Morgoth!

hey, you can have all my old athlon stuff, CPU's, NF7-S (x2), a fair few sticks of RAM (there's some Geil stuff with blue heatspreaders) vid cards, LianLi cases, Antec case, a couple of PSU, heatsinks etc etc etc for say, a case of beer

are you in sydney?

I've lost any interest in doing anything with them, so the bits may as well go where they will be used/abused

;)

Wow mate, cheers, but I'm in Tasmania :/

I'm interested in what cpus/ram and gpus you have though!

Mods that 2.9GHz chip would have been mad!

I was looking for a ddr booster back before I modded the motherboard, I'm still interested I guess

Edited by Morgoth