TheMojorising

Embarrassing Simple Things You Dont Know How to Do

As I tuck lovingly into this curried egg sandwich I bought from the bakery, I just remebered that I STILL dont know how to make curried egg. I know that its simple - Im guessing its just scramble with curry powder but Im not sure.

Terrible right?

Is there anything simple that you dont know how to do but been too embarrassed at bringing it up? Or something simple you wouldnt know if it weren't for the almighty google?

I don't eat eggs other than if they're in cakes etc.

So, I know practically nothing about cooking anything with egg, other than being able to crack one open without making a mess of it.

I also have NFI how to tie a tie. Only own one, have NFI where it is and don't really care, and manage 99% of the time to duck or avoid wearing it when whatever situation requires it.

How to spell 'guarantee'.

I CAN spell it, with the aide of spell-checker, but without that, I'm screwed.

Ironically, I got it right that time.

Not really something I don't know how to do, just something that's a little embarrassing.

Apparently I can't tell the difference in between a full 9kg gas bottle, and an empty one.

Old man sent me to the servo the other night to swap the gas bottles over as we ran out while we were cooking for some friends. I returned with an equally empty one. I felt like an idiot.

Failed to notice the seal they put on them when they refill them, and the big ass yellow sticker around the head of the gas bottle, but worse than that, failed to notice the fucking massive weight difference.

Facepalm.

write neatly.

+1. I used to write extremely neat for tech drawings, my lettering looked like it was printed from a machine. Fast forward a few years, and I can't write a sentence without getting a sore wrist and making a mess. I blame technology! :P

Bleed the brakes on a car :( Learnt a lot watching over dads shoulder, but for this task I was usually pumping the brake pedal and unable to see what was going on

I can't gauge distnace distance. Like you know how people look at something in front of them and say "yep that's about 150 meters away." I can't do that. I have nfi how long 150 meters yes or recognize it as opposed to say 100 meters.

Edited by Oracle X

write neatly.

In primary school, I got all kinds of principal awards for my neat writing. Now though, three letter words are nearly illegible! I know it's just practice, but I'm never required to write anything apart from a signature.

Also, I have great trouble tying knots other than for my shoe laces. I'm terrible at it. My uncle recently tried to teach me a "truckers knot" to fasten our kayaks on the car. 10 minutes later he was like, "go have a drink of water".

How to calculate pi. I realise it's an irrational number and I know the first few decimal points, but I don't know how it's calculated and I feel like I should.

write neatly.

In primary school, I got all kinds of principal awards for my neat writing. Now though, three letter words are nearly illegible! I know it's just practice, but I'm never required to write anything apart from a signature.

Also, I have great trouble tying knots other than for my shoe laces. I'm terrible at it. My uncle recently tried to teach me a "truckers knot" to fasten our kayaks on the car. 10 minutes later he was like, "go have a drink of water".

I'm the same, in both cases. Tying knots is a valuable thing to know too, I've been in plenty of situations where it would be handy but have yet to actually learn.

Also for me: reversing a trailer. Still haven't sat down and tried to learn to do it yet, but I know for sure I'm going to need to know how to do it one of these days.

I can't gauge distnace distance. Like you know how people look at something in front of them and say "yep that's about 150 meters away." I can't do that. I have nfi how long 150 meters yes or recognize it as opposed to say 100 meters.

That's easy, quantify it... you know how long a football field is right? Well that's 100 metres, 90 metres for American football.

As for myself, I still forget my left and right sometimes until I gain my bearings again. I didn't learn to tie my shoes laces until I was about 10 or 11, and I never worked out gladwrap until i was about 18 odd...

Edited by i_am_banned

I don't really know how to cook savoury food. I kind of just wave my hands and throw random things together and hope it doesn't make me sick.

I usually measure moderate distances in lengths of a swimming pool.

My ex couldn't do left and right until she was 25, and I taught her. She picked it up pretty quick - she'd just never gone to the effort of trying because she'd never been told it was something you make yourself learn, not something that's innate.

Edited by tantryl

I'm 20 and still have to stop and think which hand I write with when guaging left or right, only when talking though, as is giving directions. In all other situations I am fine.

That's easy, quantify it... you know how long a football field is right? Well that's 100 metres, 90 metres for American football.

I don't know if it's that simple, banned. It could be a physical thing.

OracleX - I don't mean to pry, but do you have any visual impairments that make you lack depth perception? Like a lazy eye?

A mate of mine admits he's got the same problem, but he suffers from something called diplopea and his glasses are all whack double vision when you put them on.

People who have physical problems that affect depth perception often think 3D movies are shite or don't get the effect...

Me... well I have no idea how to change the washer on a leaky tap... but this is compounded by the fact that I can't find the water mains to my unit. I think it must be hidden somewhere, but my lazyness outweighs the turn-the-tap-off-really-tight frustration.

I don't know if it's that simple, banned. It could be a physical thing.

OracleX - I don't mean to pry, but do you have any visual impairments that make you lack depth perception? Like a lazy eye?

A mate of mine admits he's got the same problem, but he suffers from something called diplopea and his glasses are all whack double vision when you put them on.

People who have physical problems that affect depth perception often think 3D movies are shite or don't get the effect...

Me... well I have no idea how to change the washer on a leaky tap... but this is compounded by the fact that I can't find the water mains to my unit. I think it must be hidden somewhere, but my lazyness outweighs the turn-the-tap-off-really-tight frustration.

I suspect its more a career/work/practice thing

If your terrible at eye-gauging distances like me, you rarely measure distance if ever. For work I bash away at a computer all day.

Then theres my mate who does paving for a living (driveways, patios etc) and is crazy accurate with his eye measuring.