Sign in to follow this  
nobody813

The OCZ Vertex 2 Conspiracy: Lost Space, Lost Speed?

It's directly put me off purchasing a Vertex2 when I read about this a little while ago.

I'll only buy a 34nm drive when I can find the next best thing to a 34nm vertex2

after reading this i might wait a bit longer untill the vertex 3's come out or look for another SSD with the correct space!

nice info nobody813!

Looks like I may have bought my two drives just in time. I'll have to check them when I get home but I'm pretty sure my drives speeds are in line with the 34nm chip variant.

EDIT: I have screenshot showing my 240GB model doing sequential write speeds of ~130MB/s over a USB 3 connection. So that one at least seems ok.

Good link.

Edited by mark84

Just checked my vertex 2 E 120GB and ..........its the 34nm version. Yay! Formatted capacity is 111.79

So, why are they all moving to 25nm NAND if it's less reliable, worse performing and requires more over-provisioning?

Surely it's not the tiny cost benefits we're currently seeing, (unless there's intentional profiteering by one or more parties).

So, why are they all moving to 25nm NAND if it's less reliable, worse performing and requires more over-provisioning?

Surely it's not the tiny cost benefits we're currently seeing, (unless there's intentional profiteering by one or more parties).

I think cost cutting has driven this

What this means for me is that I won't be buying an SSD for the time being, my WD Black will still be my OS drive for the foreseeable future

I think cost cutting has driven this

What this means for me is that I won't be buying an SSD for the time being, my WD Black will still be my OS drive for the foreseeable future

Heh, I'd still buy one. I use a Vertex 2 120GB at home and there's a few Vertex 1s and 2s at the office. We've haven't had any die on us so far, and that's been a couple of years now almost.

Posted Image

this is my vertex 2 60 gig i got in early january

i was expecting around the advertised 285\275

??

im seeing 111gb in my computer, this means ive got the good one yes?

Yep your one is the 34nm one (good one). If its a formatted capacity around 107gb then its the newer one.

Posted Image

this is my vertex 2 60 gig i got in early january

i was expecting around the advertised 285\275

??

Here's my one I got a bit before January.

NOTE: This is over a SATA->USB3 adapter I was testing!

Posted Image

Your write speeds should tell you what you need to know.

Awww fuck i just bought a 120gb vertex 2 yesterday. I wanted a 240gb but all sold out.

Not happy about this at all. I havent formated it yet so dont know the model exactly.

Dodgy indeed. Should mI take it back or is it worth nkeeping still?

Update - its showing up as 111.8Gb - so I have the one I wanted. Lucky. I did all my research in December/early Jan and the OCZ is basically one of the best around. It s terrible that i did all my research and then went to buy a product and without any knowledge could have bought a product that i Did not base my research on. That is very very naughty. Who would think that someone would do such a thing. Maybe an update to make things better but not worse ffs.

Update 2 - Wow. That was the fastest format/full reinstall of windows ever. It was over so quick i thought something was wrong. Even downloading and installing all the updates was done in record time. Windows is reporting the system score for the hard drive at 7.8. Phenomenal.

Edited by GhostFaceKilla