Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Olympus XZ-1

Awesome compact for low light shots.

Posted Image

Edited by Mac Dude

Olympus XZ-1

So jelly.

Is that a good thing?

I've posted some pics in the photo forum for those interested. The ability to take handheld night shots is a great feature.

Edited by Mac Dude

Olympus XZ-1

So jelly.

Is that a good thing?

I've posted some pics in the photo forum for those interested. The ability to take handheld night shots is a great feature.

Jelly = Jealous

Nice pics.

I wouldnt mind a new camera.

Olympus XZ-1

So jelly.

Is that a good thing?

I've never tried that, all I know is the video is bloody terrible as soon as the light starts going.

I've never tried that, all I know is the video is bloody terrible as soon as the light starts going.

It just comes down to physics. The sensors just aren't big enough to capture enough light in low light situations for video without having a boatload of crappy noise. If you want good quality video in low light, buy a proper dslr or video camera with a dslr sized sensor. For everything else though, these compact not so compact cameras are fantastic.

It just comes down to physics. The sensors just aren't big enough to capture enough light in low light situations for video without having a boatload of crappy noise. If you want good quality video in low light, buy a proper dslr or video camera with a dslr sized sensor. For everything else though, these compact not so compact cameras are fantastic.

Yeah I'll just try to take video earlier in the day

My IR camera arrived! Don't have time to play with it much right now, but snapped off a few quick shots on default settings. =)

Ceiling showing ceiling joists

Posted Image

No insulation above manhole

Posted Image

This is impressive ... this is a plastered brick wall, and I touched it for <1s. Not only can you see the handprint clearly, but also the mortar joints behind the plaster!

Posted Image

Woof

Posted Image

Mmmmm Columbian brew =)

Posted Image

Computer motherboard

Posted Image

Some dork with an IR camera

Posted Image

Edited by Moph

^ That is awesome...

I'm curious is it limited by how many walls it can see through and materials it can see through?

Edited by TheSingularity

I'm curious is it limited by how many walls it can see through and materials it can see through?

Lol it doesn't see through walls ... that only happens in spy movies ;)

It measures emitted and reflected IR energy from a surface. That's how I got the photograph of me holding the camera using a mirror - the mirror is actually reflecting my emitted IR back at me, the same as it reflects visible light.

Polished metal surfaces likewise reflect IR well but don't emit much IR - hence why my CPU heatsink is showing so cold in the mobo photo. It's actually reflecting the cold temperature of the room behind.

Wasn't computing for a moment then about the mechanics behind it until I looked at the first photo again seeing how the ceiling joists appeared to show through. Whereas they are just cooling the plaster ceiling where they touch making it peared to show through...

Right...?

My IR camera arrived! Don't have time to play with it much right now, but snapped off a few quick shots on default settings. =)

Very cool. Now you just need to strap it to your face and pretend to be a Predator!

That is such a high level of cool that it deserves it's own forum.

A few pages back I mentioned that I had ordered some Thrustmaster gear for the DCS A-10C Warthog simulator. It arrived and was setup 2 days ago.

Posted Image

Fully functional buttons on the cockpit multifunction displays. Here is the left one:

Posted Image

Details of the replica throttle controller:

Posted Image

But I'll miss the rudder control on the MS SideWinder FF2. So I may get even more stupid and buy some pedals one day. I really hope I don't. I'm running out of room to store stuff!

Moph - those pictures are awesome! IR camera looks like fun.

opy - that is an epic set up, amazing!

I'm gonna try and get my racing wheel pedals setup as rudders one day.