Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

A couple of plane tix to Belgium. Looking at pushing out the return date by a couple of days if we can since we just found out Fat Freddy's Drop are playing at my GF's old fave gig venue in Brussels (Ancienne Belgique) :D

Nice. You were also planning a Tokyo trip weren't you? Or was that last year?

Did that last year. A week in Singapore for the F1 and 3 weeks in Japan jaunting around the place (also for the F1).

This time we're off in September, doing a couple of nights in Paris then 3 weeks in Belgium. Going to buy a couple of pushies and ride/drive our way to as many breweries (Trappist and otherwise) as we can get to.

An Led Lenser L7 torch from these guys:

Dude, as the owner of 5 LED Lenser torches, I concur with your sentiments exactly. They rock. Enjoy your L7.
Agreed, I've bought three of the single AA-powered P5's as gifts (and one for myself), they're incredible value. Especially with the ability to focus the beam or spread as needed.

Also got my brother a quad AA-powered P14 and it's very nice at twice the brightness. Been tempted to get one myself but I don't need a torch that often.

Interesting to note on the LED Lenser site that they've been having trouble with imitation torches, a quick look at ebay confirms it for the L7 model. This is the only legit-looking listing I've found, at $69.

Damnit, hate having the last post on a page... :P

Me too, it feels like less people view it somehow.

In your case that's a good thing, why are you investing in defunct technology such as that :P

An Led Lenser L7 torch from these guys:

Dude, as the owner of 5 LED Lenser torches, I concur with your sentiments exactly. They rock. Enjoy your L7.
Agreed, I've bought three of the single AA-powered P5's as gifts (and one for myself), they're incredible value. Especially with the ability to focus the beam or spread as needed.

Also got my brother a quad AA-powered P14 and it's very nice at twice the brightness. Been tempted to get one myself but I don't need a torch that often.

Interesting to note on the LED Lenser site that they've been having trouble with imitation torches, a quick look at ebay confirms it for the L7 model. This is the only legit-looking listing I've found, at $69.

In your case that's a good thing, why are you investing in defunct technology such as that :P

Not disagreeing with you on the imitations, but the torch you show the ebay link for is a P7...

Not disagreeing with you on the imitations, but the torch you show the ebay link for is a P7...

Oops, I mislinked. Was looking for another potential torch for myself too >.>

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-Lenser-L7-L...=item35c672c9cf

That's the first listing for the L7 (really this time) that includes anything about the fakes and such. Still, they didn't embed the image they were supposed to into the page, so who knows. Makes it hard to recommend torches to someone else unless you buy from the seller first, I guess.

The MT7 looks nice... it's over a hundred bucks though.

Yeah, that's why I linked the place I bought it from, to show the place as much as the item. I think they are legit at this stage...

The MT7 looks nice... it's over a hundred bucks though.

My first one purchased and also still my favourite. I'm secretly hoping I get a legitimate use to use the glass breaker on the end of the handle one day:)

@Squall; Ssswwweeeeetttt. Laser Disc!

Same reason I put money in to vintage game consoles.

Because retro technology is COOL!!! LASERDISC!!!!

Edited by SquallStrife

As of last night (a few hours ago mind you) a preview ticket to see Pacific Rim at IMAX Sydney.

(Not a purchase as such, but a gift from a friend that had a spare.)

I'll post a pic after the event as proof.

I cannot believe people want to see that movie.

I friend offered a spare ticket and I wasn't going to say no.

Got a poster to boot as well:

Posted Image

EDIT: And just got this tonight as well:

Mini Bendingbot by RIPT

Posted Image

Edited by krispy89

I cannot believe people want to see that movie.

What makes you say that?

The preview certainly ticks all the boxes for a great Saturday night action flick.

It just looks bad, Aliens from a portal that's in the see. Lame looking robots, lame portal robot voice chick. Lame end of the world fight or die speech.

Eh - I wanna see it. It can't possibly be any worse than the transformers movies, Iron Man 3 and countless other movies I've paid to go see and walked out shaking my head.

Edited by TheMojorising

We didn't need (or were in a situation where we wanted a new one), but the wifey comes home with this...

Posted Image

Needless to say for an 'impulse' buy, she owes me big time. Got me some marriage karma stocked up in the vault now!

We didn't need (or were in a situation where we wanted a new one), but the wifey comes home with this...

Posted Image

Needless to say for an 'impulse' buy, she owes me big time. Got me some marriage karma stocked up in the vault now!

They be a mighty fine vacuum cleaner, I must say

Wow... that sucks :)

@ Stubb; thanks, it does a mighty good job. I particularly like the 12m cord and controls on the hand stalk.

@ Xen; It sure does suck. Sucks heaps hard!!1...

Also just bought/finished d/ling Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Turns out I'm just as awful at it as I was at CS: Source. Yay!

Posted Image

I initially started watching it on ebay because i was sick of how my King V's tuning would vary wildly from one song to the next. Decided pretty quickly that I didn't really want it (plus, my V is a much better guitar), but kept watching it anyway.

Got a notice yesterday afternoon that the auction was ending in about 10 minutes. Called my brother, asked him if he wanted it. He did, set a max price, and told me to get it for him. I sniped it with seconds to go, for $2 more than the listing price (the other bidder must have only matched the listing price in his opening bid), and $50 less than my brother's price limit.

Not bad. Comes with a case too. And I'm in the seller's neighbourhood today, so will just pick it up with a minimum of fuss.

Posted Image

One of many steps along the way to being able to self-service the car.

Posted Image

I have no idea what I'm looking at. Wait the filename says "torquewrench". Is it a torquewrench? It's a torquewrench isn't it.

Posted Image

I have no idea what I'm looking at. Wait the filename says "torquewrench". Is it a torquewrench? It's a torquewrench isn't it.

A particularly good torque wrench, not a cheap arse spring job.

I have 2 rules when it comes to tools.

1. don't buy a cheap arse tool if you are going to use it more than a few times

2. don't use a cheap arse tool if there's a risk it's going to f**k up the job, or make it horrible to do that you throw in the towel.

I'm tempted to get the baby one to (1/4 drive 1-30Nm), but it's another $250, not needed for basic servicing, and I still need to buy a jack and stands.

Wow. The one my dad had looked the same, except not painted black. If that was a really nice one, it would have been one of three Good tools he owned (air compressor and spray gun being the other two). The rest was "the cheapest shit that will get the job done" bought for a specific job, and then used again and again until it failed - usually inflicting much more expensive damage in the process than buying a decent tool in the first place.

The rest was "the cheapest shit that will get the job done" bought for a specific job, and then used again and again until it failed - usually inflicting much more expensive damage in the process than buying a decent tool in the first place.

My motto is definitely "buy the cheapest thing to get the job done". No point buying a drill for six hundred bucks when a $49 dollar one will last half as long.

And almost every tool I own has been used as a hammer at some point.

'

The rest was "the cheapest shit that will get the job done" bought for a specific job, and then used again and again until it failed - usually inflicting much more expensive damage in the process than buying a decent tool in the first place.

My motto is definitely "buy the cheapest thing to get the job done". No point buying a drill for six hundred bucks when a $49 dollar one will last half as long.

I'd agree with in some cases, and a drill is little more than a motor that turns the bit - it's opportuning to mess up a job is low, so if you don't use it a lot, then an expensive drill is often a waste. That said, I also use a drill almost more than any other tool, so rule 1 hits and I'd not buy cheap shit - but I won't spend $600 either.

But for sockets, spanners, wrenches etc, the opportunity to round a bolt head or slip when you have a large amount of force exerted on the handle, have it suddenly cause you to smack your fist into whatever is nearby. I'll save the bolts, pain and bandages.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Posted Image

LG 42LA6620

I really really like the picture, and i've been mucking around with some 3D BluRay's. Hugo 3D would play but no audio (need a true 7.1 audio setup) so a little dissapointing, but Life of PI was fantastic!

Only real ongoing annoyance at this stage is that it's not talking to my NAS either via standard windows sharing, or DLNA. But it does talk to my PC, so i've been able to play a few ..... linux distro's. Yeah... Linux distro's.

The magic remote is pretty cool. With the onscreen menu's there is very little that you have to pull out the other remote for. Havent tried the voice stuff yet. Have played around with the NFC button, not as awesome as i had hoped of turning on and off the TV with a tap. But means i can use my phone to change the channels and use as a smi magic remote.

Posted Image

Overkill amplifier cooling! The heatsinks I added last year helped a lot, then I bought a soap holder and bent it so the amp would fit on, and that only helped a bit.

Now I stole the mesh from a broken external hdd case and bent it into the shape I wanted, stole a fan from a stock Intel heatsink, and cable tied it on. Powered by USB 5v fan adapter, very cheap and ghetto. I'm sure the device is intended to work at such temperatures, but why not cool it down if I can? Fun little project :)

Posted Image

Testing a 12v ac adapter with the fan controller stripped from my modded computer case. Plans to improve airflow in my desk and also testing concept for my tv unit that's in the making.

Edited by TheFrunj

Overkill amplifier cooling!

Egad! quite the frankenstein mod, but an interesting outcome - sure to stop inquisitive fingers.