Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

a used i5 2500k (no pic, it's a cpu and looks like all 2500k's...)

but the asus mobo i also got from ocau was doa :(

and so, off to the fairly local shop for $110 worth of new z77 goodness; the v1.1 (which i got) has the full 8 pin cpu power connect and apparently overclocks like the high end z77 giga boards

given i am running a 775 system with a q8400 overclocked to 3.2 undervolted as my "high end" rig; it should be amazingly better :)

Posted Image

Finally after 20 something years of putting up with a shower that is an absolute prick to get the temperature right on (mains pressure cold water, gravity fed hot water) I got one of these

Posted Image

A Nefa prv20f adjustable pressure reduction valve and fitted it to the cold line to the bathroom and set it to about 200Kpa. Normal pressure is about 420Kpa

Yay now I can get the shower right without having to use a bloody micrometer to adjust the cold tap.

Edited by aliali

:)

Forget where I heard it aliali but apparently being a pilot is of considerable help in adjusting the temp of a shower - the balancing throttles thing :) That looks like a much better solution :)

Are those WBT locking RCAs Frunj? Or similar.

RCa plugs are horrible things, lowest common denominator for a connection, but, we are stuck with them :)

Cheers

RCa plugs are horrible things, lowest common denominator for a connection, but, we are stuck with them :)

They don't appear to be locking RCA, but they do fit snugly.

Looking into ferrite cores as a potential solution, but it's hard to say whether it'll help.

Great find jdee. That's a very cool price indeed. Enjoy bouncing that light and your photos will look professional before you know it ;p

Place bets that ferrite core won't fix it Frunj.

Silly question for you: Does your which your mains board, which your audio equipment is on, have an earth-line filter on it?

This to me does not sound like RF noise, but rather noise injected into building earth.

AD

They don't appear to be locking RCA, but they do fit snugly.

Looking into ferrite cores as a potential solution, but it's hard to say whether it'll help.

In my experience they very rarely do much of anything, sometimes, and I stress, sometimes, improving the earthing can make a big difference, especially if your house earthing is suspect.

Cheers

Orange Hydrolyte, both the ice blocks and the drink. Hopefully I can keep it down for long enough that it can do some good.

Posted Image

Revision to my desk pc fan cooling unit, now with 100% more silicon and far fewer vibrations making it to the desk proper.

120mm silicon fan frames and some silicon pot holder I had lying around.

Place bets that ferrite core won't fix it Frunj.

Silly question for you: Does your which your mains board, which your audio equipment is on, have an earth-line filter on it?

This to me does not sound like RF noise, but rather noise injected into building earth.

All my audio and PC equipment are run through a UPS, the Cyberpower value 1200VA lcd (182KB PDF).

I don't know if it has an earth line filter, the specifications pdf doesn't mention it.

If you meant the electrical switchboard from the grid to the house, I also don't know if it has a filter nor how to verify if it does.

Please be aware that the terminology I use may not be 'consumer terminology'. Earth line filters are what are typically used on IEC devices to filter noise from earth.

As for whether your UPS has one. *shrugs shoulders*

Typically it's a L/C on the earth connection that is effectively filters noise from your earth connection.

Suggestions would be 'earth hum eliminator' or similar for searching to find out if you have something like that.

AD

And quick reply.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/...imageI=#tab-box

If that is similar to your unit, it has EMI/RF filters which 9/10 are what you need.

BUT SIMPLE TEST TIME!!!!!!

Have AC on and have the 'noise'. UNPLUG mains power and rely on battery. Earth is no longer connected. (Make sure you switch off and then unplug. Don't just yank plug). If you still have noise, it's the UPS and perhaps it's circuit. Try AV equipment without UPS to test.

See where I'm going with this test?

AD

Have AC on and have the 'noise'. UNPLUG mains power and rely on battery. Earth is no longer connected. (Make sure you switch off and then unplug. Don't just yank plug). If you still have noise, it's the UPS and perhaps it's circuit. Try AV equipment without UPS to test.

Just shut down, unplugged UPS from wall power, booted up again and heard a more pronounced noise, I'd compare it to a sine wave. So it seems the UPS is introducing some noise into the system.

Moving my DAC off the UPS made no difference to the usual background noise.

Moving the amp off the UPS made no difference.

Moving both off made no difference.

Only running off batteries made a difference to the noise, otherwise it was constant. It's hard to work out what's going on.

Hmm,

The spec of that UPS is a bit broad.... just how close is it to the audio equipment?

There are just so many ways that noise can get into an audio system that it is hard to troubleshoot much further without more detail, or perhaps a pic ?

Cheers

Very interesting though. (From an outsider POV). That to me implies that the noise is not part of the 'mains'. Something/somewhere in your audio equipment is causing the noise.

Try having your AV equipment 'split' if that makes sense.

So. Audio source on mains, and Amp on UPS with mains unplugged. (This will break any earth loop)

AD

Posted Image

There's a quick shot, sun's gone down so lighting isn't great.

Will try out the source on mains.

*edit*

No apparent difference, though touching the headphone amp causes a buzz (presumably because it is no longer grounded).

*edit2*

Huh, the headphone amp makes a buzzing when it's supposedly grounded via the UPS too. It's not as pronounced, but it is definitely there. Maybe the amp itself is picking up RF?

Edited by TheFrunj

Hard to tell from the pic but that would be my first suspicion, which could be a pest to get rid of - a lot of equipment in very close proximity, could be a lot of trial and error to get rid of the noise.

Cheers

The amp hums when it's the only thing plugged in, no audio source cables or anything. So the problem is with it, its power or rf. I wonder if grounding it would help, it's powered by a 2-prong (no earth) transformer and runs off DC so I have nfi if I can ground the chassis to mains earth or if that's a very bad thing.

At least it's not the DAC or the UPS.

Hang on.... so you can hear the hum in the speakers?

Does the amp have a headphone socket?

Hum can get in via speaker cables or indeed at the crossover of the speakers but you are moving through the elimination process. :)

Cheers

Setup is

PC coaxial digital > external DAC > tube headphone amp > headphones

Did some reading on Google and it seems that background noise is normal for less expensive amps such as mine, I just never noticed it before when I had a cheap RCA cable. The better quality one is much less noisy.

Some people suggest switching the power adapter to linear regulated from switchmode has an effect, though I can't seem to find a 24vdc linear regulated power supply for cheap. Guess you get what you pay for.

Ah!!!

Tubes are rarely completely silent in anything but the megabuck stuff, they are also prone to picking up external RF a lot more than solid state.

You can try, carefully, giving the tube pins and sockets a clean, used to be some reasonably priced contact enhancer fluids around one in particular was called Tweak, but can't find it any more in a quick google. That sort of stuff these days is in general a ridiculous price.

Otherwise it's a case of seeing if you can improve the usually mesh faraday cage around the tubes, depends how big you are on aesthetics :)

I love tube sound but they are certainly much more temperamental than ICs ;)

Cheers