Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Is that LOTR boxset the extended one? If so, do you mind letting me know how much you paid and where you got it? I've been after it for a while, but the cheapest local price seems to be $100+

Edited by NukeJockey

Is that LOTR boxset the extended one? If so, do you mind letting me know how much you paid and where you got it? I've been after it for a while, but the cheapest local price seems to be $100+

I got it on release from amazon for like $120

Haven't watched a second of it

Of course it's the extended edition :) Cost $115 at jb's. Pretty reasonable for 15 discs in total. The bonus is apart from the very awesome appendices it also has 3 behind the scene doco's that I haven't watched yet.

Some new kicks

Posted Image

Black And Yellow by Photo By GR, on Flickr

Wifey brought home some of these. They taste awful =\

Posted Image

Epicness is below...

Posted Image

&

Posted Image

Edited by gabber

Those branded drinks are almost always horrible, they're meant for collecting not consuming :P

Those branded drinks are almost always horrible, they're meant for collecting not consuming :P

Pfft. Now you tell me :p

Finally found this for a somewhat reasonable ($30) price. At $49.95 or whatever it just wasn't going to happen.

Posted Image

Just some protective gear for my, as yet unobtained, motorbike.

For anyone interested:

• Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Textile Jacket
  • Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boots
  • Alpinestars SP-2 Gloves
  • Alpinestars Bionic Chest Pads
  • Alpinestart Bionic Air Back Protector Insert
  • Draggin "Slix" Kevlar Jeans
  • Shoei XR-1100 "Tangent TC-5" Helmet
Posted Image

Just some protective gear for my, as yet unobtained, motorbike.

For anyone interested:

• Alpinestars T-GP-R Air Textile Jacket
  • Alpinestars S-MX 5 Boots
  • Alpinestars SP-2 Gloves
  • Alpinestars Bionic Chest Pads
  • Alpinestart Bionic Air Back Protector Insert
  • Draggin "Slix" Kevlar Jeans
  • Shoei XR-1100 "Tangent TC-5" Helmet

Some good looking gear there Electr0. Interesting to see someone actually planning ahead and getting the gear for the bike rather than the other way round.

Posted Image

Bought a few of these EcoSwitches, basically short extension cables (which I didn't need) with hardwired switches (which I wanted).

They allow me to turn off my whole PC setup when I'm not using it to save power, and also control the headphone amp separately for a later project.

Posted Image

Drilled two holes, screwed with 50mm wood screws. Simple enough.

They were $10 each on sale, work out cheaper than the wireless AC switches - and shouldn't die like the wireless ones I've had in the past.

Got those ferrite chokes, as posited they did nothing to improve the audio quality in my headphone amp. Ah well.

As AD and myself said Frunji, didn't think ferrite chokes would make any improvement.

I'm starting to wonder if the noise you hearing is from crap capacitors, how old is the amp?

Cheers

Under 2 years old, I've ordered bits to construct a faraday cage around it and see what that does. If that doesn't fix it I have no idea what will, lol.

Will be posting a worklog in audio in a few weeks when the bits arrive from china.

:)

I'll be very interested to see how that goes.

In the end it depends - is the noise inherent in the circuit design or a suspect component, or is it external ?

Cheers

As AD and myself said Frunji, didn't think ferrite chokes would make any improvement.

Heh - misread that as "thermite chokes" and thought "Yep, that'd fix it alright."

Heh - misread that as "thermite chokes" and thought "Yep, that'd fix it alright."

ROFL!!!!!

Shall we call the bomb squad now or later? :)

Cheers

First new monitor in ~5 years; upgrading from a BenQ G2400W

Hey, that's my monitor. It's been excellent, though it developed a green (sometimes cyan) line vertically down the display on the left side a few inches in. I'd gladly buy another of these, 24" 16:10 is a good size for computing.

Posted Image

Fan controller for my desk arrived, the plastic enclosure/project box was already here. Now to wait until I have the energy to cut and mount this sucka.

Posted Image

Ghetto power wired up. Works fine. Using the same 12v adapter as before. As I managed to work out from the dealextreme listing, the fan controller is a PWM type that flicks the 12v supply on and off a bunch of times rather than using a potentiometer to reduce the voltage. Makes wiring simpler.

Posted Image

Now the fan controller is in place, I'm not sure I need to mount it in a box because of the glass riser above it. I'll think about it.

Posted Image

Final revision to the desk fans. The controller's minimum is roughly equivalent to 7v, so the fans were a bit louder than with the Lian Li fan controller. I used some Zalman RC56 resistors to reduce the voltage, and they're super quiet again.

Bought a new monitor. Very happy with it.

LG IPS237L LED LCD IPS monitor. 23 inch 1080p at 60hz.

Posted Image