Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Ewww! Probably came over with the First Fleet too I'd guess.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Ewww! Probably came over with the First Fleet too I'd guess.

It appears to have been packaged at around that time!

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Bought this limited edition print:

Posted Image

Here's the description from the shop:

"Sir Jack Brabham AO, OBE, winning the French Grand Prix at Reims on the 3rd July 1966, in his F1 Repco Brabham BT19. This victory was the first GP win by a driver in a car of his own construction, and the first by an Australian-built engine. The race also set the record for the fastest GP win in history, average speed of 136.8mph. Together with Chief Designer Ron Tauranac AO, Jack went on to win the F1 Drivers Championship that year, and the Constructors Championship in 1966 and 1967.

Each print is from a limited edition of 750, published on premium 300 gram stock, and hand signed by Sir Jack Brabham, Ron Tauranac and the artist on the lower margin."

Winning an F1 race let alone an F1 World Championship in a car designed and built by the driver is a a feat I'll wager will never happen again. That it was done by an Australian with an Australian engine (built by Repco) makes it all the more special! Interestingly, the engine was substantially the least powerful of all the F1 engines at the time, but it was very light, very compact and very fuel efficient. This meant that it could run on nearly half the fuel of competing engines (saving weight), and could be installed in a smaller chassis, also saving weight and giving the car a very good power to weight ratio. The engine went on to power the Brabham team to two World Driver's Championships, one for Jack and another for Kiwi Denny Hulme in 1966 and 1967 respectively, and two Constructors Championships in the same years.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Bought an XFX R9 290.

Posted Image

Hopefully ill actually get to try it tonight.

Edit: Speeling

Edited by Xen

snip

I saw one of these f1 cars at the Ballarat Festival of Motoring (link to news story). It's a beautiful thing and I spent a good amount of time just staring at it, taking it all in.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

snip

I saw one of these f1 cars at the Ballarat Festival of Motoring (link to news story). It's a beautiful thing and I spent a good amount of time just staring at it, taking it all in.

It was the only BT19 ever built, so you weere looking at the car depicted.

Cool!

Wooo!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sweet. Nothing like good ol' Ren & Stimpy for laughs. "Stimpy, you eeediiiotttt"...

Life Cycles blu-ray... this movie is essentially the 'Planet Earth' of bikes.

Incredible stuff.

Highly recommended for anybody into riding.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The 30cmer...

Posted Image

:) I do hope you picked that up and not bought on-line Mac, bloody heavy:)

I have a thirty year old one that is pretty much the same, started out life as a cast-iron Breville electric.

Because no one uses it any more, the weight, I'm taking the handle off to use it as a CI cook pan for, well anything really, on the BBQ :)

I don't think I posted that but after decades of charcoal bbq on a Weber kettle I added a Q last year.

Been great for food I would not stoke up a fire for, very good compliments to each other.

Nice pan, seems you have the cooking bug :) It's benign but productive :)

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Yesterday to avoid the final day of thermonuclear summer I did a gold class triple feature at the movies.

Saw 47 Ronin, Desolation of Smaug and Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

None of them were amazing. Some better than others.

Today I bought Season 1-4 of Meat Eater, a tv show about a guy that hunts and eats wild game. Kind of interesting. Makes me want to eat an elk.

Just bought this on eBay for less than $200 AU:

Posted Image

I hope it gets here before the end of the week as I'm going on an Australia Day cruise on the harbor and I really would like to get some great pictures with it.

Might also head in tomorrow to pick up a EyeFi SD card to boot as well.

Turned out the fronts didn't have as much life on them as expected. so last week I got 2 new Yokohama AD07 tyres: 175/55 R16 W80

New mono shock's , hydraulic handbrake , sparco steering wheel, 4 point harness, monster tacho , surge tank + fittings and braided line

3x mini rack and pinion steering box's , 4x mini 10" rims+ tyres.

1x 1985 Yamaha xt600.

All to go on my sidewinder project

Posted Image

Had a bit of time to kill before having to visit the doc this arvo.

Checked out a few of the second-hand/charity shops around the place. Sometimes these places just happen to have an item that I'm desperately seeking and today the YMCA shop delivered.

Belkin 4-port ADSL WiFi router for 15 bucks, also includes a USB wifi dongle. Only 802.11g on both but can't complain at that price.

Nice. My piece of crap DLink modem (equivalent feature-set) has been dying over the last several weeks. Been using it for Wifi only had the old USB ADSL1 modem talking to the outside world.

Played about with it for almost an hour trying to get it to connect - ended up doing a firmware update which has it now working nicely... the FW update having my ISP listed as a reason for it's existence.

Edited by Rybags

Guest xyzzy frobozz

... my sidewinder project

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it would appear to me as though you're making some sort of open wheeler Yamaha powered fun machine...? Given the inclusion of a surge tank there to be an intention to pull some G's!

Are those some sort of suspension control arm I spy in the background?

I are intrigued!

Edited by xyzzy frobozz