Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

The four expansion sets for Cards against Humanity.

Should be here in a week or two. I'll post pics, promise.

Where did you get them, and how much did they cost?

I've been looking for a decently priced way to get the bigger blacker box + the expansions. FleaBay seems way to expensive

I also would like to know!

Didn't get the "Bigger Blacker Box" yet, but that'll be next.

Amazon US was my first option, but they don't ship here for some reason. Shame.

I went to a games store in Parramatta the other day, and they wanted $45 for just one expansion pack!

With the seller on eBay that I went to, they were significantly cheaper, I could get two expansion packs for the price of one in Parramatta.

Edited by krispy89

Guest MrInsaneBuff

Posted Image

Not that actual one. But colour looks right.

Santa Fe Highlander 2013 plate.

Helment and fire extinguisher - for future driving fun - upcomming 1/4 mile sprints in March.

Posted Image

And the solar system has finally been completed - although these photos were mid-install.

Posted ImagePosted Image

4.9kW system, and I have already seen it hit 4.8. First full day generated 30.5 kWh

How much did the solar panels set you back?

About 12k for everything including installation and after rebates.

Not the cheapest, but well installed and engineered by a friend who usually does commercial and industrial.

Interesting stadl, how many inverters?

A single SMA Sunny boy 5000TL.

But that inverter takes has 2 independent MPP trackers, and each can take up to 2 strings. The 16 panels in the first photo are connected as 2 strings on the first tracker, and the remaining 8 panels on the second tracker.

All panels are facing north at the same angle, with no significant shading, so both MPPs are probably tracking very closely (once I move the TV antenna, shading will be nil).

Yeah,

That's the way I'd have expected the design, just there is apparently a move to single inverter per panel going on in the industry with one installer in SA pushing it hard.

I've been having the debate on another forum, seems to me inverter duplication has merit, per panel just pretty much guarantees an inverter failure over system life but I'm not informed enough about the component reliability or pricing.

Cheers

Yes, I looked at the Tindo micro inverter panels, and my installer does use/offer them.

They were not needed in my system because I had clear roof areas where the shading or alignment does not vary between panels which is the main advantage of microinverters.

Single inverter is a single point of failure, but it is installed in a benign environment inside the garage, rather than 24 inverters on the roof, which as you say is statistically much more likely to fail over 20+ years - and without monitoring you might not even notice a 4% system loss for quite a while.

There are options to run 2 or more large inverters - either because you need more MPP trackers, or sometimes the numbers stack up better I expect.

Posted Image

Yeah,

Strange how they are wired to have to consider those factors.

Looks good though, if they did a portable system (renting atm) I'd be looking the way power prices are going :)

Cheers

if they did a portable system (renting atm) I'd be looking the way power prices are going :)

Apparently there is some lobbying going on to allow virtual import/export to be allowed once smart time of use meters are rolled out.

Renters or people with a house location/design unsuitable for rooftop solar would then be able to buy a share in a nearby solar farm, and have their share of the daily/hourly generation directly offset against their consumption.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

if they did a portable system (renting atm) I'd be looking the way power prices are going :)

Apparently there is some lobbying going on to allow virtual import/export to be allowed once smart time of use meters are rolled out.

Renters or people with a house location/design unsuitable for rooftop solar would then be able to buy a share in a nearby solar farm, and have their share of the daily/hourly generation directly offset against their consumption.

That's smart!

It therefore will not happen.

;-)

:)

You read my mind xyz :)

Might be an interesting business to look at though.... :)

Cheers

Solar is great. I got a 6KW system (or is it 6KW inverter and 5KW panels? dunno - whatever the max allowable is). It pulls in a little over 30KwH a day. Reduces the guilt I have running ducted aircon :)

New Clubsport wheel for my rig arrived on Fridy.

Rig now looks like this

Posted Image

Holy shit that's a step up from the step ladder frame thingy you had Kikz ...good shit

I'm seriously considering selling my sim or at least what's left of it. I have the urge to burn some fuel IRL.

I'm seriously considering selling my sim or at least what's left of it. I have the urge to burn some fuel IRL.

Pretty sure a sim is cheaper than IRL. Perhaps leave an oily rag hanging over the back of a monitor stand for the IRL smell.

Pretty sure a sim is cheaper than IRL. Perhaps leave an oily rag hanging over the back of a monitor stand for the IRL smell.

Yeah I don't exactly plan on racing , just a bit of off road fossil fueled fun.

Yes it costs a bit more but it gets me out of the house and it's way more realistic than the simulator.

We'll it will be when I finish building the buggy.

Holy shit that's a step up from the step ladder frame thingy you had Kikz ...good shit

The step ladder frame thingy is part of that rig :) It's the thing that holds all the other bits together - the monitor stands bolt onto the front, the seat bolts onto the back, the desk bolts onto the top.

It was always a progressive upgrade, as funds permitted :)

A real racers would be awesome. When I got back into sim racing seriously I was at a crossroads. Either start real racing or start virtual racing. Obviously virtual racing IS cheaper. It's also done at family friends times, not occupying entire weekends (although, sometimes it does haha) and I can practice for an hour a night when the kids go to bed.

hehe I dunno. I'm yet to receive all the parts for my sim so the pic above isn't the final product...

So far (as far as I've paid for all the bits I'm going to get for the next 12 months) for the complete rig including PC (which also doubles as a my normal desktop) and monitors, I've spent a little over $8,000 - The simulator itself (iRacing) comes in at just under $1000.

Only thing left is motion - which one of my teammates builds as a bolt on to existing sims and retails for a little over $4,000...

e: Oh just remembered I'm currently looking for a pair of racing gloves. Seriously recommended given the material that wheel (in the pic) is wrapped in. It goes manky from sweat so needs the gloves. They're ~$100. Also considering a neck brace and shoes.... lol -- gotta have a hobby right? It's probably not much more expensive than most of the hobbies people here have.

Yeah I don't exactly plan on racing , just a bit of off road fossil fueled fun.

Yes it costs a bit more but it gets me out of the house and it's way more realistic than the simulator.

We'll it will be when I finish building the buggy.

But then your bits are more likely to break. Last weekend I went nose to arse on a 700HP RUF RT-12 Turbo. He went flying and I came to a screeching halt. The damage? A bit of ego, 40 iRating, and 0.08 SR ;) That's the sort of realism none of us need :p

But yeah, if I had land I'd be in a bush bashing buggy all weekend for sure :)

Posted Image

Arrived at 5pm today.

That's one hell of a modem Cybes! Edited by kikz

That's one hell of a modem Cybes!

Heh - says the guy spending 13 grand on faux racing. ;)

It wasn't *that* much. And considering I'll be using it 24/7 for a couple of years, minimum, I figure a couple hundred bucks is a reasonable investment.

At least it should be ready for whatever network I throw at it! :)

Edited by Cybes

Posted Image

Arrived at 5pm today.

Good luck, I've sworn off Billion for good.

Currently have the 7800VNPX, but having to power cycle it every few days in summer. Bad thermal design - not designed to cope with warm weather, if the room ambient gets much above 25C it doesn't like it - it drops the USB modem, the DHCP server goes away, or packet loss just goes through the roof.

And I bought this latest one 18 months ago because the the previous model ran fine for a couple of years then started locking up in heat - only to find the new one had the same problem.

It's my 4th or 5th Billion, and the first bunch were rock solid and good performers (only upgraded for new features like ADSL2 and Annex M). The last 2 have been relatively unstable, and made more so by warm weather.

Edited by stadl

Not limited to the Billions either stadl. Seen a few other brands suffer the same fate. Seen people modify them (and done it myself with a Netcomm) to open up the cooling holes. For my Billion 7800N all it needed was propping up on a stand to get more air underneath it, but hotter areas probably need more radical treatment, even to running them totally naked, cutting big holes in the case and fitting a fan and/or fitting decent self adhesive heatsinks to the chipsets.

2x copper exhaust gaskets for the xt600

And a k&n oil filter too.

It's the first K&N product I have ever purchased and was disappointed but not surprised to open it up and find 'made in China' printed on it.

Posted Image