Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Not sure they're real fast, they're a Harley competitor. Seems the company is winding down operations after 20 years. Bit of a pity.

Need for speed mohawk?

Mate I have always had the need but now I want a more transitional bike that has sporty performance yet has a laid back riding position before I go the full hog and get an Indian Chief in 6 years or so.

Not sure they're real fast, they're a Harley competitor. Seems the company is winding down operations after 20 years. Bit of a pity.

They are no slouch either. Stock Octanes have 104 hp and 103 Nm (76 ft-lbs) and with the stage 2 and air box the figures pump up to 114 hp and 108 Nm (80 ft-lbs). Not bad for a 249Kg (wet) Yanky V-Twin. Also they are quite nimble and corner much better then you would think.

Performance wise the only Harley that has better stock figures is a V-rod however, they cost between $9k to $13k more (depending when the Octane was bought) and weight just over 300Kg's and therefore, end up having a lower power to weight ratio then the Octane.

Is it faster then an pure sports bike like an R1 or GSXR-1000? nope but, it is more than fast enough to keep a smile on the dial and never get bored with it!

Polaris, Victory's parent company shut them down on the 9th of Jan this year due to a number of reasons however, mismanagement was a big factor behind it and the lack of marketing therefore, low sales. They actually made very good high quality bikes but when upper mangement sucks you end up in the red for the tune of 100 million dollars.

What did that mean for buyers, big deals! If I bought the Octane before the shutdown announcement it would have been $21.5K with pipe and box instead, I got it for $16K with pipe and box and also got $800 worth of vinyl wrap thrown in too!

It was a deal I just could not pass up especially when put up against the other bikes on my short short. Triumph Bonnie Bobber ($20K), Triumph Thruxton R ($22K), Triumph Street Triple 675 RX ($17K) and the Kawasaki Z900 ($14.5K).

The other plus side is that you don't see many Victory's let alone Octanes on the road so it is a little more unique which is the way I like it.

Are those plastic engine covers? I fully understand and support the dechromed look but really, there's way better methods to go about it.

1. Vacuum cleaner for mouse house.

2. Aeroplane for mice.

3. HDTV for mice with single rabbit-ear antenna.

1. really tiny outrunner motor

2. sopwith pup (ww1 fighter, the fore-runner of the camel) - probably a little small for mice in the scale shown

3. multi-protocol module for taranis radio control - essentially generates 4 different protocols, making the transmitter instantly compatible with a shit-tonne of cheap tiny receivers

Edited by scruffy1

:)

One of my long deceased instructors flew the Pup in WWI, loved it - hated the Camel, in case you did not know the Camel had a massive radial engine that produced wicked amounts of torque so you had to hold it over hard all the time to just fly straight.

On the other hand let it go and it could turn so fast it both delighted seasoned pilots and scared the hell out of novices :)

Cheers

the pup had the same basic plan. with a le rhone rotary (80hp), while the camel had a different rotary with 130hp

highly unstable; great for combat in those who knew how...

the pup had the same basic plan. with a le rhone rotary (80hp), while the camel had a different rotary with 130hp

highly unstable; great for combat in those who knew how...

:)

Dunno, even I'm not THAT old, but I never heard anyone of the old aviators I sort of grew up with say a bad thing about the Pup, they were a bit more divided on the Camel, sort of a love/hate thing.

I can relate, I sort of loved the Lightning, but geez it could bite :)

I don't even know where mine are right now, my mother's attic probably, but the early Biggles novels by W.E. Johns which I sort of blame for getting me into flying although not really fair I was quite literally born under the flight path into Yeovilton airbase, had a deal to say about both the Sopwiths :)

Cheers

Windows 10 licence for my MBP... then minutes later realise that in fact Pro isn't the highest edition. Not to worry, under 4 bucks from an eBay scrapper and it's not like the feature set is greatly reduced.

Windows 10 licence for my MBP... then minutes later realise that in fact Pro isn't the highest edition. Not to worry, under 4 bucks from an eBay scrapper and it's not like the feature set is greatly reduced.

Win 10 Enterprise is the one you're after but you're not likely to use Enterprise features anyway.

Annoying how they change the edition names all the time. The Education edition is in fact more powerful but then you look at something like Office and they have "Home and Student edition" which is a shitkicker application that didn't even include Outlook.

Annoying how they change the edition names all the time. The Education edition is in fact more powerful but then you look at something like Office and they have "Home and Student edition" which is a shitkicker application that didn't even include Outlook.

The Education edition is probably just Enterprise for schools with extra features.

Are those plastic engine covers? I fully understand and support the dechromed look but really, there's way better methods to go about it.

No the engine covers are all metal however, the arrow head shaped cover in the middle is a mix of metal and plastic.

Win 10 Enterprise is the one you're after but you're not likely to use Enterprise features anyway.

I bought Win10 Home, because pro didn't add much, but Enterprise on Volume licence does offer some worthwhile features.

- Access to LTSB

- Downgrade rights, if Win 10 LTSB still annoys you :P

Job done... gladly the activation seems fine. The worry I had is that on the older MBP you have to use a boot sector patch which enables AHCI mode on the Sata controller, luckily it doesn't seem bothered by it and the SSD benches double in speed to around 500 Meg/sec.

If my tolerance of Windows 10 grows somewhat, might even install it on my main machine... though probably put ClassicShell on in both cases.

Job done... gladly the activation seems fine. The worry I had is that on the older MBP you have to use a boot sector patch which enables AHCI mode on the Sata controller, luckily it doesn't seem bothered by it and the SSD benches double in speed to around 500 Meg/sec.

If my tolerance of Windows 10 grows somewhat, might even install it on my main machine... though probably put ClassicShell on in both cases.

Finding Win10 driver support is pretty good, even with old crap laptop hardware.

Ok, it's not gonna work with pre-UEFI hardware but that's expected.

I'm a fan of 10.

I've even installed it on a few old laptops that were running Vista and it gives them a new lease of life.

(yeah I know, Vista was probably the worst OS ever built...)

my old MSI laptop wouldn't take Win10, as there were no signed drivers for the graphics chipset, and it'd crash about once an hour when using the generic display drivers. I reverted to Win7.

But anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a Horizon Zero Dawn game disc!

Nope. Win Me was a whole other quantum leap. Manufacturers never did proper drivers for it, it crashed and corrupted continually and was just overall almost useless.

I think I've just thrown out a good few Vista licence stickers.

At least the underpinnnings were halfway there, I never really used ME but you'd hardly trust something that was standing on the already shaky foundations of 9x.

Nope. Win Me was a whole other quantum leap. Manufacturers never did proper drivers for it, it crashed and corrupted continually and was just overall almost useless.

Dude, you missed the opportunity.

"What about ME, it isn't fair........."

New washing machine, Bosch.

Old one was Samsung (doesn't explode variety)