Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Just visited a few op shops. I've noticed frig-it spinners must be out of fashion as all the $2 shops have them at clearance prices. So grabbed one for a buck.

Got a few old games compilations and the Ziggy Stardust DVD for cheap. Also got a TV swing-arm that I might use at some stage.

Posted (edited)

Nice! I might need like 3 of those ...

What? The spices or the Ramekins? :)

Spice rack, got a crazy amount of those spice bottles at home.

Edited by Jeruselem
  • Like 1

A Click USB power supply, 2 ports @ 2.1 Amps each and passthru on the AC. So I can reclaim back my Nexus charger and use this to power the shitbox Android dongle on my bedroom TV.

The weird thing - it's got adaptor plugs for UK, EU, US - good ones, not those stupid universal types that just fall off. Though not that I expect to use them anytime soon either, but the specs on the thing say it wants 220-240 V AC coming in so why include a US adaptor? Or maybe it's in fact a universal type and they printed the specs wrong.

7 bucks, so had to grab it. I've got probably 15 AC to USB PS's but most of them are the practically useless variety that do 1.2 Amps or under.

Pinball parts for the game I am working on, mainly blind rivets

You restoring a Pinball Machine? ... nice :)

Posted (edited)

you must be new, I have a few machines ;)

actually won 'post of the month' back in issue 40 (?) talking about them

a really old photo;

D8qoyut.jpg

Edited by TheManFromPOST
  • Like 1

jealous as.... i'd love gottlieb's "sing along" (really old school), or williams' "flash" - what a great game

playboy was pretty good too, apart from the banana flippers...

no prizes for guessing where i spent a large part of my leisure time in the 70's :)

haha :)

you just don't give up do you ! :) don't forget to rest the leg ffs !!

Posted (edited)

jealous as.... i'd love gottlieb's "sing along" (really old school), or williams' "flash" - what a great game

playboy was pretty good too, apart from the banana flippers...

no prizes for guessing where i spent a large part of my leisure time in the 70's :)

???????

Banana flippers only came on two games, Disco Fever and Time Warp

I have a Playboy (think it is at the back of the photo)

Flash was a great game for its time (and still is)

don't forget to rest the leg ffs !!

it is good therapy, been a while since I have worked in the shed

the leg is fine :)

Edited by TheManFromPOST
  • Like 1

Pixel2, because cheap. Hope it lasts 5 years~

Posted (edited)

actually won 'post of the month' back in issue 40 (?) talking about them

a really old photo;

D8qoyut.jpg

Definitely not new, having joined AMPC in the early 2000s. It's just I may not have seen any posts about this if they were not in forums I read.

My favourite machine was "Lost World" which I played endlessly, back in the 70s :)

Edited by JediKnight

dang, you're right

disco fever was the one, with the john travolta dude doing the pose on the backboard as i remember

playboy had a good set of plays, but flash was the shizzle - the only place it existed in adelaide that i knew in the day was a seedy convenience store, and we'd actually trek there specifically to play it, without buying anything

as i recall it was the replacement for middle earth, and at first we were put out, but on reflection, flash was the best game that shop ever had

it upgraded to something else forgettable, and we went on to settling for galaxians and missile command and gravitar and tempest (and kix.... but i really liked tempest for a while)

:)

glad your leg is being civilised after its time out :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Haven't played on in a long time... noticed one @ a nearby McD's a few weeks ago.

Favourites were plenty along the way including Fireball, Centaur, 8-Ball Deluxe, Space Shuttle, Cueball Wizard, Terminator 2 and Getaway 2: High Speed.

But I just keep going back to Cyclone, has plenty of repeat value for me.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Don't think I've touched a pinball machine since the Kiss machine. The only other one I can remember is Gorgar... I had an unhealthy and expensive relationship with that one.

Don't think I've touched a pinball machine since the Kiss machine. The only other one I can remember is Gorgar... I had an unhealthy and expensive relationship with that one.

Gorgar, the first game with speach

4x 2k RAM gave 10 or 12 words

4x 2k RAM gave 10 or 12 words

The pinball site I looked it up on to make sure I was remembeing the right machine said it had a vocabulary of 7 words.

Looks like pinball beat videogames with speech first. Supposedly Stratovox from Taito was the first videogame with speech (if you care to call it that, sounds like 2 bit samples @ 4 KHz).

They came pretty thick and fast after that. Most using samples, some used the speech synth chip that was also used in the Speak & Spell kid's toy.

=================

Been picking up old games lately. For some reason I'm into these hidden object games, they're a good casual activity to just have open and get into once in a while in between other things.

Found an original of COD: Black Ops cheap so grabbed it.

Grabbed a few wooden blinds at a good price from the Vinnies shop. Normally you'd pay upwards of $55 each for anything 1.2 x 1.2 or over but I got 4 for $30. As it happens, 3 of them in near the exact sizes I needed.

Just finished hanging the biggest one in place of an old plastic thing that was falling apart.

Another Macbook Pro.

mid-2012 for $80. Shows charger light, side batter indicator not showing, not powering on. Not powering on by shorting power pads either.

Makes 3 of these I have now. 1 working fine which will become my main work machine soon.

Posted (edited)

I've just unboxed and setup the 32" Monitor I bought a short while back. It's rather BIG. Mind you, the quality and the resolution is brilliant. A Bargain at $299.

iwE35em.jpg

Edited by JediKnight

crimps, specifically 1,25mm jst ones for connecting up tiny motors for micro-drones (killerbots !)

a10815231-241-IMG_2439.JPG

yes folks, the wires go into the white plugs, with 1.25mm between their pin centres

a10815232-37-IMG_2440a.jpg

look, here's a little one i whipped up earlier; yes, that's about a millimetre between the wires

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Bought a new 43" 4K UHD TV. It's all I need. I just want to watch Footy and Cricket and the occasional stuff on ABC. Good price though at $339 (although the price jumped back up to $399 a week after I bought it).

WnWYvUi.jpg

Edited by JediKnight

Well, after about 13 years, the NAD AV receiver finally failed - dead DSP board, and parts not available.

So a trip to the shop and a new Anthem MRX-520 to replace it. Very nice sound, and a quite fancy room calibration system which requires a laptop to crunch the numbers using a calibrated microphone, and upload parameters back to the unit. It even produced a 16 page report full of graphs - and who doesn't like those :)

On specs, the power is down a bit when all channels driven (the NAD was a high current beast with a Toroidal transformer that on its own weighed more than most modern amplifiers) so still contemplating adding another power amp to the system to drive the fronts and lighten the load on it. For the quality of the unit and price, it's really not wasted if it just gets used as a processor/preamp, but time will tell - I'm actually impressed with the amplification, but it will need a few heavy movies (eg Interstellar) to be sure.

It's probably loud enough, but flat out it doesn't make you run from the room, and the NAD playing ACDC could do that and still have a few more numbers on the volume control.

But during trials at home, I noticed one of the Subwoofers had decided to die, so any power amp purchase will be have to wait until I find out the damage on getting the sub repaired.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

09902fab9095288f157e7c190323501e.jpg

but one of the two blue led's that "aim" it was bung, so there's a whole new free replacement in transit

ah banggood, being vip3 is awesome :)

the still quite bearably useful one might need to be passed on to a deserving type

if dutton gets his way it's going to fuck up my retail therapy program

Edited by scruffy1