Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Ah, thanks. Had a closer look... nails, hand made fittings, drawers pretty worn from sliding. Wormholes too... any suggestions for making sure nothing is eating it out? It's about 60cm long, so no fitting it in my freezer

No Jumanji board then ?

:-(

• Like 1

Too much being spent on this old PS2. A proper component cable arrived earlier in the week from fleaBay, was about 10 bucks.

Just went to a Revolution store and they had a bunch of stuff. Grabbed Half Life $15, RTCWolfenstein: Operation Resurrection $9 and Leaderboard Golf for $4.

Surprised to see they had an Atari 2600jr there, asking $150! I've got 2 of them, one has 128 built-in games.

They also have the new C64 remake that I mentioned elsewhere a couple of weeks ago for $150.

The struggle to actually find a potato peeler that doesn't suck arse. I've got an ergonomic one that isn't, and one of the 90 degree angle ones that I just hate.

I generally don't bother peeling spuds, except for mashing of course.

i cbf even peeling them for mash.

i recommend this: https://www.oxo.com/products/preparing/peelers-choppers/swivel-peeler

i also used to have one of the y-shaped ones, cant remember the brand, but it was awesome. most of them do suck. needs to be resilient and have just the right curve, similar to a razor.

imo its generally worth going 'expensive' with something from Zyliss or Scandinavian brands that tend to have excellent steel.

In my recent travels...

bought one that has a round plastic surround and allows swinging the blade to straight or Y configuration. The blade is rubbish though and the frame interferes with the food item so that was a waste of 4 bucks.

At the same shop they had a 2-pack of these strange ones that have a ring that slips over a finger then you just glide your palm over the spud. It looked like it'd actually work and I should have grabbed in in preference to the other one.

Then as luck would have it, checking the closest Salvo shop for games/DVDs as usual and remember to look in the utensil bin. And found what looks like an old fashioned good one for a buck.

Well, at least it went to charity...

3 bucks somewhat wasted on a "Kids & Co Mini Microscope". This thing is KMart branded, found a box with a few in at a Vinnies store around lunchtime.

kids-amp-co-mini-microscope-1509171855-1

The "8+ years" on the welded plastic overpacking should have given clue as to what's in store. It claims 30* magnification so I thought "Great for getting those pesky hard to read CPU and modem spec labels!".

The reality is that it's an out of focus jumble unless the lens end is 2mm or less away from the object to be viewed (suppose that's why it's got the transparent dingus on the end).

Then with the (in)convenient green thumbwheel with about 180 degrees of travel you struggle to focus.

Then when you finally see the object being magnified, it's upside down!

Yep, thinking about something like that. And maybe one of those CCD microscopes that transmit back over wifi or USB.

Then when you finally see the object being magnified, it's upside down!

That's common for science instruments - you don't care if a star or golgi is upside down, and the optics are simpler. Even if it is a POS instrument for kids.

Square POS package with contactless reader (BT) and reader that plugs into headphone jack. $59 from OfficeWorks.

So far, deeply unimpressed. Pathetic to nonexistent documentation and the first one connected then said it was doing a firmware update and disconnected. Left for 15 minutes and it was as if it had bricked itself. Just why these morons insist on OTA updates when you could just plug into a computer and do it the safe way?

Took it back and got another. Looking around the 'net, it seems others have had troubles and solutions have been to unpair/forget and uninstall/reinstall the software.

It's just sitting there now, it says it connected and was doing an update but I suspect not.

I'm going to give it 15 minutes to get it's shit together, and if no joy it's going back. Might have to settle for just the $19 headphone jack version.

Or better still, a deviceless credit card charging system where you just typed the info in would be better.

Junk, it's going back. Think I'll grab the $19 version which supposedly can do chips and magstripes anyway. The phone jack version included with this one only does magstripes and then complains that both my cards aren't compatible and wants me to connect the useless wireless device.

I use the square one for Limo work I do, just the headphone jack version. it does the job mostly, but you need to be aware of issues around media volume and disabling developer mode.

I have it setup on my phone (Android) and iPad, I find people prefer the extra real estate provided by the iPad gui.

I found the headphone version fine once the firmware update went through (first go in under 10 minutes). Did get caught out in Developer Mode though the software informed me exactly what was wrong. I generally keep Dev Mode alive because I like to disable or shorten the ridiculous default UI animation values.

PoP: The Sands of Time for the PS2 @ Cash Converters.

I feel dirty going into that place.

Normally I'd not trust a used HDD but $80 for a 4 TB WD Elements that was only sporadically used for backups and has a poweron count of 58 and 181 hours use (about 2 years old).

Picked up a bottle of 'apple liqueur' from a cider festival today. Shame noone could tell me how it was made. Tastes brandy-ish in there somewhere, but apparently not.

The struggle to actually find a potato peeler that doesn't suck arse. I've got an ergonomic one that isn't, and one of the 90 degree angle ones that I just hate.

The test of a decent peeler is that a) the blade is strong, hard, thin steel and b) the blade has a decent gap to allow a good wide peel. Seems that lack of a) will automatically mean a small gap to compensate for the weaker construction even with the thick junk.

The one I had was probably over 25 years old and I'd nursed it for the last 5 or more as one side of the blade had broken through but it was the "non operating" side for right-handed use.

I bought a 4 pack from Woolworths the other day for 2 bucks and they're just junk. Lucky to get a third the width of peel compared to my old one. With the old one I could do a spud in seconds. Also I've noticed the new junk takes a thicker peel, so wasting food in the process.

Looked on a few store websites like Harris Scarf but no luck.

Thinking my temporary fix might be to take the blade from the ergonomic one and put onto one of the Woolworths ones.

Look around in some chef or knife shops, and see if you can find any Victorinox branded ones.

Look around in some chef or knife shops, and see if you can find any Victorinox branded ones.

Cheers - looked online with not a lot of luck but my travels this morning had me near to a Savage Urban (or is that Sauvage Urbane?)

They had probably 7 different peelers of various brands and I was about to walk out disappointed but spotted a specific stand with Victorinox gear.

At first look only serrated/soft fruit peelers and the undesirable Y type spud peelers but at the bottom of the display the last remaining one reduced to 9 bucks.

On closer inspection it seems to be in fact a Jonas soft grip peeler, not Victorinox (far right is like mine). But it looks pretty good and they seem to have a decent reputation. And I just cut my thumb by picking it up the wrong way.

Walking out the door, I turned around and asked about coffee gear, so another 24 bucks down on a 1 litre capacity Bodum French coffee plunger.

10211.jpg

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

Had an opportunity to get a second hand commercial grade cable machine for home strength training.

dual_cable_cross.JPG

• Like 1

"... 24 bucks down on a 1 litre capacity Bodum French coffee plunger."

We finally gave our glass litre plunger one too many knocks and the glass sorta broke ;) now have an Avanti stainless steel plunger it's not a litre more like about 800 mls, but makes a nice brew all the same.

Edited by eveln

The way I figure it, I have 2 cups in the morning in a big 450ml cup, so taking away milk and slack space would make about 800ml. So should be ideal.

About to try a sample - I only had time to drop into Coles this arvo and grabbed a small $4 slab of Lavazza.

OK, that was a bit of a fail - used the recommended amount for a cup but turns out to be way too little. So added 3/4 of a spoon of instant mixed in a little water to add some strength.

Next one I think the formula will need to be a scoop per 200ml, which is probably an industry standard cup of coffee anyway.

Edited by Rybags

We have half litre cups. The new pot gives us each a generous three quarter cup, as long as we fill the plunger as far as possible just shy of over flowing :) ... in hindsight a little less in the cup might be better for us, perhaps.

It'll depend on the coffee type and how fine the grind is as to your measuring for a tasty cuppa I would think Rybags.

:)

I don't drink coffee much anymore - used to, now it's just at meetings. Never much cared for Lavazza though,used to buy fresh roasted beans as needed, walked by a shop that sold them most every day. The owner knew I was a regular so always made sure I was given the good stuff :) Mostly Kenyan if I recall - that wakes you up :)

On the subject of being able to read small labels, I swear there is a conspiracy going on - the type gets smaller every year :)

I must be a philistine, I just use a magnifying glass :)

Cheers

I just had another look @ the plunger manual - the clue is in the product name, it's referred to as "8 cup" so assumes 125ml per cup so I was well underdosing there.

Of course the measure would vary depending on the individual coffee but I get the feeling if I went about 2.5 - 3 scoops it would have been ideal.

When you get your suitable dose sorted it's a nice clean way to drink coffee. you get a good creme without the thick oilishness of espresso imo. <<< referring to a non milk cuppa here

edit: look at that ! I made a new word ;)

Edited by eveln

On the subject of being able to read small labels, I swear there is a conspiracy going on - the type gets smaller every year :)

Definitely a conspiracy. That and they don't make glasses like they used to. My new pair of single focal glasses only work for distance, All the pairs of single focal glasses I bought when I was younger never had this problem :P

On a more legit view, I think it is the move from printed to moulded or etched etched text.

Rather than fine text printed on things in a contrasting colour, they now either mould it from the plastic, or they etch it, so the text is just the same colour in matte on gloss..

Definitely a conspiracy. That and they don't make glasses like they used to. My new pair of single focal glasses only work for distance, All the pairs of single focal glasses I bought when I was younger never had this problem :P

On a more legit view, I think it is the move from printed to moulded or etched etched text.

Rather than fine text printed on things in a contrasting colour, they now either mould it from the plastic, or they etch it, so the text is just the same colour in matte on gloss..

Hmm,

A good point stadl, but how come I have no problem reading the horror notices on my cigarette packets (yes i smoke - sue me :) )\\

My latest glasses are the same, rubbish, taking them back this week.

Cheers