Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

(yes i smoke - sue me :) )

I don't care if you smoke - used to myself. Just don't make me breathe yours and we'll be fine. ;p

I wonder how you justify the expense to yourself, though. Those things are *expensive*. Like, thousands per year.

It's cost thousands per year since the early 90s. I remember the joy of buying a carton of 10x25 for $26 on holiday in Qld when the price here would have been nearer to $50.

At a pack a day even that would be almost $1K per year. These days I imagine a single 25 pack is probably 20 bucks.

Glad to be out of that stupid game myself. But I suppose the enormous tax is justified given the medical costs that eventually occur.

:)

About a dollar a smoke these days, but being I am in the process of going through a horrendous and completely unexpected marriage separation I was driven back to them - not for long, although they seem to have little to no affect upon me.

I've smoked on and off since my teens, seem to take ten year breaks and then something happens and I reach for them, a weakness I know but preferable to the anti-depressants my doc wanted to offer me, and, strangely, cheaper.

Cheers

(yes i smoke - sue me :) )

I don't care if you smoke - used to myself. Just don't make me breathe yours and we'll be fine. ;p

You walk down the street a lot I assume? You're breathing in toxic fumes from every car, bus, truck, motorcyle exhaust, and you think second hand smoke from a cig is gonna hurt you? LOL

As an irritant in an open space it's usually worse.

You walk down the street a lot I assume? You're breathing in toxic fumes from every car, bus, truck, motorcyle exhaust, and you think second hand smoke from a cig is gonna hurt you? LOL

No, I don't - walking is difficult for me; Yes, I am painfully aware of that, and moreso with every passing year; Oh, it will, but no more than all that other crap - but it does tend to make me choke.

Shove your condescension up your fundament, btw. Fair enough to ridicule someone's demonstrated idiotic beliefs, but you're just being a gigantic dick when you try it for something you've just assumed.

• Like 1

Doritos do crackers now.

Cheese Supreme - a few weeks ago actually but only opened a few days back.

All I can say is why?

As in why didn't they start doing them years ago?

For the cheese accompaniment I usually do the rice cracker variants, Peckish being the main type. But these things are a class above the normal Shapes type snacks.

Travel Universe had a sale on Pacsafe Vibe 25 secure backpacks, buy a red one (for $134.95), get a blue one free. So I bought the red one for mum for mothers day, and I kept the blue one for myself.

https://www.traveluniverse.com.au/Pacsafe-Vibe-25-Anti-Theft-25L-Backpack.htm

Last year I purchased two Pacsafe Venturesafe EXP45 backpacks for travelling to India, they were "carry on" sized.

https://www.traveluniverse.com.au/Pacsafe-Venturesafe-EXP45-Anti-Theft-45L-Multi-Purpose-Backpack.htm

Turns out mum is heading to India later this year too, but she'll only be staying in a hotel, so she'll just use a suitcase. I did a bit of travelling while I was there, including a few train trips, so a suitcase was impractical.

I purchased quite a bit of Pacsafe gear for my trip, including a Metrosafe LS200 anti-theft shoulder bag (yeah, i call it my man-bag)

https://www.traveluniverse.com.au/Metrosafe-LS200-Anti-Theft-Shoulder-Bag-Pacsafe.htm

Also a small secure wallet and a travel document / passport wallet.

Edited by smadge1

A somewhat old but never before used Maxtor Onetouch III external drive (500 Gig) for $10.

Trusting girl I bought it from - she had to go out so just left it near the letterbox and I picked it up and left the money there.

Only USB 2 and as I found out IDE rather than Sata. The plan is to put into my Dell Xeon as storage to help sell it.

The thing is built like a tank - beefy metal case with plastic shell that pulls off (and breaks lugs in the process like just about every other brandname enclosure. Then about 10 screws before you can get the drive out.

Funny comparing to modern day ones - I've pulled 2 or 3 Seagates apart and all they are is a plastic clamshell with some lugs that sit in the HDD screw holes on the side to keep it steady, the little interface board prettywell just sits in place.

New TV in time for State of Origin.

Looked online at a whole bunch, but the main requirement is >= 32 inches and >= 1080 resolution. That knocks out practically everything under $300.

Was tempted by stuff like SmartTV, as a minimum would have been nice to be able to do streaming direct as I currently do it through the BluRay player.

But ended up choosing the Linden 42" for $379 from Good Guys. It's a rebadge specifically for them and looks suspiciously like a TCL but at least comes with 2 year warrantee.

Has timeshift/PVR to USB device which should be nice, was using STB to do that before.

I just bought 60 double edged razor blades with express delivery for less than $30.

You're a mug if you but those Gillette's from the supermarket.

I'm gonna get 240 (2 per side) shaves outta these.

https://www.beardandblade.com.au/

I just bought a safety razor for the first time about a week ago. Thought I'd try it in order to minimise waste and cost. Have only used it once so far, on what was for me a rather heavy growth, and ended up bleeding from five locations. The shaver is adjustable, and I had it on either the lowest or second lowest settings (minimal blade protrusion). I guess I should try it a few more times to see if I can refine my technique, but I'm not sure about all this. What's your experience?

• Like 1

my experience is to grow a beard and buy some adequate clippers

the only use i have for razor blades these days is in my razorblade plane, for shaving balsa making aeroplanes old school

speaking of, presently in transit is my 1s battery charger :

https://www.banggood.com/Ultra-Power-UP-S6-6x4_35W-DC-1S-Balance-Charger-for-Micro-MX-mCPX-LiPO-LiHVO-Battery-p-1200469.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Ultra-Power-UP-S6-6x435W-DC-1S-Balance-C

i figure i have only a month to blitz international shopping before scomo fucks it up considerably

I want to have a bash at building my own triangle battery for my 1500 watt ebike so I have been buying various tools to do the job.

(New meter, soldering iron, extra hands and a how to build your own lithium powerbank book)

Just ordered these. The guy that wrote the book makes them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322876667116

I guess the really expensive bit will be the cells. I'm gonna go for Panasonic NCR18650B's (green Li-on)

I'd have liked to use 21700's the same as Tesla but these end caps wont fit the larger batteries.

Here's a vid if anyones interested

I just bought a safety razor for the first time about a week ago. Thought I'd try it in order to minimise waste and cost. Have only used it once so far, on what was for me a rather heavy growth, and ended up bleeding from five locations. The shaver is adjustable, and I had it on either the lowest or second lowest settings (minimal blade protrusion). I guess I should try it a few more times to see if I can refine my technique, but I'm not sure about all this. What's your experience?

Yeah you need to show it a lot more respect than a shaver.

I still give myself a little nick now and then but will keep that to a minimum as you get more proficient with it.

• Like 1

Heh,

I use the Gillette Fusion, the five bladed ones, not had a nick in years but the other half of the equation is to use shaving gel not that stupid foam stuff.

Cheers

Heh,

I use the Gillette Fusion, the five bladed ones, not had a nick in years but the other half of the equation is to use shaving gel not that stupid foam stuff.

Cheers

I stay away from the gel stuff.

I've tried most/all of the soap methods, foam is the best by a good margin. Gel somewhat less. Rubbing the brush on a cake of soap is OK but the mess isn't worth the bother.

I bought this Palmolive (?) stuff in a toothpaste type tube once, it was piss-poor to shave with but an excellent after shave treatment for the skin.

I'm tempted to try other (legacy) shaver types - the blades & mesh on my barely 4 month old Remington portable are way under what they were when new and I was just in Woolworths and noticed they're selling the same or similar shaver now for 20 bucks which is less than I paid on eBay for the replacement.1

I bought the thing in the first place for convenience with $$$ second but if I'm replacing these consumables every 6 months then it's costing me 3-4 times the price of good disposables.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1

If you want a contentious argument on Atomic bring up the subject of shaving :)

It's been years. probably decades since I last used foam, maybe it has improved but I like gel, it stays on my face, goes a long way and just works for me.

Mind you, I haven't shaved in a few days, courtesy of this damned cerebellum issue that is slowly, I think, ebbing away, I've had two falls in the last 24 hours in my en suite, the first one saw me sleeping in the shower for a few hours because I couldn't get out of the damned thing so at the moment I don't want to go anywhere near the bathroom :) I think I've been lucky not to break any bones tbh, bathrooms tend to be all hard surfaces.

Delights of getting old I suppose...

Cheers

• Like 1

Mind you, I haven't shaved in a few days, courtesy of this damned cerebellum issue that is slowly, I think, ebbing away, I've had two falls in the last 24 hours in my en suite, the first one saw me sleeping in the shower for a few hours because I couldn't get out of the damned thing so at the moment I don't want to go anywhere near the bathroom :) I think I've been lucky not to break any bones tbh, bathrooms tend to be all hard surfaces.

Tell me about it.

Grab rails. Ask your council about them - a nice man will come fit one (or more) for you for free.

I just bought 60 double edged razor blades with express delivery for less than $30.

You're a mug if you but those Gillette's from the supermarket.

I'm gonna get 240 (2 per side) shaves outta these.

https://www.beardandblade.com.au/

the amount of money i save with ye olde razor is ridiculous.

i think its partly down to how easily you can clean the blades after every stroke or so. occasionally i unscrew the clamp mid shave and give it a tap under water and its totally clean. the modern ones by contrast get guffed up too quickly and its there to stay unless you have a hot water tap with the pressure of a gerni.

and you just get more control of angle and pressure. it depends on your growth and how much your face resembles a moonscape i guess. but i am a shave every day guy (with maybe a 10pm shadow :D) and i can shave completely dry with a fresh old-timey blade, with just water on the second, and then push a blunting blade out to almost a week with foam etc. ...because i am a cheapskate. doing the same with modern razors would just plain hurt.

when you first start out, the trick is to let the razor cut with its own weight, ie. more in a constant state of fall alongside your face under its own weight rather than being pushed towards it or pulled down it. and do a lot of really short strokes rinsing between every one. soon you will be pushing into your face on the upstroke like youre trying to strip paint. also, i am sure everyone is different, but i think your skin just needs to get used to it. i was without one for a few months, and even though i have the technique down, the first couple of shaves were brutal and left my face feeling pretty raw.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 2

Yeah angle makes a big difference. I prefer to keep it straight o the first run through and then go again with more angle to clean up what I may have missed.

I know you're not supposed to shave against the grain... but I do anyway now and then when I want a close shave. That can be brutal if not careful.

If you want a contentious argument on Atomic bring up the subject of shaving :)

It's been years. probably decades since I last used foam, maybe it has improved but I like gel, it stays on my face, goes a long way and just works for me.

Delights of getting old I suppose...

Cheers

You're alright mate... just difference of opinion. I just saw somewhere that the gel is no good for your face or your blades... but who knows if that's true or not?

Gel has never done me, or my razors any harm that I'm aware of and been using it for decades.

Then again i used to shave with a combat knife so I may well not be the best judge )

Cheers

• Like 1

I know you're not supposed to shave against the grain... but I do anyway now and then when I want a close shave.

if you do it without issue, then youre supposed to.

i really wonder about this. i mean, theres no shortage of gravely serious shaving advice out there decrying the practise like its as clear a no no as shoving your dick in a blender.

fair enough if some people get a rash or whatever, but i question how common and how dire all that really is. the advice should be, try it and see.

with the grain only, and i look fine. but the skin still catches like sandpaper in the other direction. so i pretty much always finish off against the grain, and buy myself a few extra hours before i start looking like an unshaven slob. i do both directions for the life of the blade with a safety with no irritation, but not so with a cartridge, because theyre shit! ;) — just wish i didnt take so long to find this out.

• Like 1

I wish it were socially acceptable to grow a full beard... however, my facial hair has patches, so it'd probably take me a year to grow anything that looked fine, and that year would be hell.

Otherwise, I just buy my gillete fusions from chemist warehouse when they're on special and live with the expense.

• Like 1