Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Nice, those are just like Expensive! I have a G403 coming from Amazon US to add to the G302 and G300.

I know right? I was all sent to spend $79 on a G402 but saw this instead!

Nice, those are just like Expensive! I have a G403 coming from Amazon US to add to the G302 and G300.

I know right? I was all sent to spend $79 on a G402 but saw this instead!

I've been looking at the new Logitech mice,G502 was on the wish list.

i hate cords

the mx series was gold but they eventually go bad (dropped one on the middle button), and the switches later get the double click of death

my skills at replacing the switches wasn't adequate - i fried the traces i think - that was last year - now i can solder crazy small with success, but desoldering is still a black art

settled for an m705 - the button customise options are great - i love each application having its own shortcuts defined, but i wish it was the same size and heft as the mx it replaced

The trick with desoldering - for starters the equipment which is the cylinder type pushbutton pump. Iron with temp control. And desoldering braid for cleanup.

Tin the iron first up with leaded solder. In some cases it even helps to add more solder to the joint being desoldered.

But modern day stuff is potential for problems, for starters the traces and vias are usually way small, plus if it's the ROHS bullshit then probably uses lead-free solder which is a PITA to work with.

yeah, i have the tools, and lead solder (onoz ! i'll die from plumbism)

but i missed the skill to drown it in new solder / flux prior to using the desoldering pump - and by then i had cooked its brains

mmmm.... brains...... (zombie mx1000)

:)

It's a delicate and probably rapidly becoming lost art. I honestly cannot remember the last time I did it :)

Cheers

Most of the stuff I've done is with the 80s sized DIP packaging. The pitch of that is sufficiently big that you could probably get away with using a 5mm chisel tip.

Once you get to the smaller DIP packaging then it starts to head towards microsurgery.

Slight step back onto the discussion about safety razors: I gave it another go yesterday, taking care with the angle, and using short, light strokes, resulting in a good shave with no cuts, and no painful dragging. If I can get faster at it through better technique, then yeah, I'm sure this'll be a good thing. Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't get cut suggestions I can offer from experience with disposables:

- new blade, on the first 2 or 3 shaves is almost guaranteed to draw a bit of blood. Then progresses towards ideal, then tapers off to the point where you're lucky to get a few inches shaving before needing to dip it. As luck has it, my blades usually tell me they're worn out by breaking the whole assembly off the handle when I tap it to remove the crud.

- take a mug of boiling water in. I wet my face with hot from the tap all over then do half at a time before the foam by dipping the facewasher into the cup and dabbing on. Helps to scare the hairs out of their sockets a bit more and soften them up. Then swish the blade through the water every few inches of shaving to clean it.

- don't shave in the morning. Sometimes not possible but I find my skin tends to be loose and soft in the morning but late arvo through late night is more likely to resist getting cut.

- don't shave in the morning. Sometimes not possible but I find my skin tends to be loose and soft in the morning but late arvo through late night is more likely to resist getting cut.

That much shadow on the new day, you might as well just use an electric in the morning.

Another Nexus 7 (2012). 32 Gig version for $70, running 5.1.1 - might try LineageOS on it.

Occasionally the Woolworths a couple of suburbs away has some good clearance items.

4 bucks for an Energizer LED headlamp reduced from 25 (no way I'd ever pay near that). I've already got a couple of decent ones of the Cree and COB variety. This one looks to have a couple of surface mount LEDs, claims 100 lumens & 50 hour runtime from 3xAAA on the package. I think I'll devote this one to the computer repair toolkit bag.

ICE - Game of Thrones sword

Err, letter opener because I doubt Australian customers allowed full sized executioners swords into Australia.

On 6/22/2018 at 8:59 PM, Rybags said:

Another Nexus 7 (2012). 32 Gig version for $70, running 5.1.1 - might try LineageOS on it.

i like lineage - i have it on my ancient sony xperia sp (rockin' oreo...)

Edited by scruffy1

My trusted Sunbeam toaster of over 25 years vintage took a bit of a dump last night.  I was doing fruity loaf toast which tends to be a finely tuned exercise so was using the release function to end the job early.

Something went amiss and now the thing is in permanent eject mode and I had to hold the lever down to do the next lot.  Of course before chucking it out I'll try to fix it.

A new toaster at Aldi, fair enough cost reduced  - at $3.75 it comes to less than the cost of the loaf of bread that I usually buy.

• Haha 1

And Un'KnBlvbl - the old one now works without my doing anything.  Maybe the heat tweaked something out of whack last night and it fixed itself.  Or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

And Un'KnBlvbl - the old one now works without my doing anything.

A self healing toaster? Damn.

Ham cheese and tomato croissant, small sausage roll, and a mug-a-chino at a lovely bakery in traralgon.. Mmm breakfast!

Ohh, tech? A 4m extension cable for a microphone, so I could livestream a funeral for people in America with "passable" audio quality. 

Currently researching other options for the future, to make a better quality presentation.  Namely a better camera. An action cam in webcam mode sounds allright,  but the fisheye lens really detracts from the somber moment, and lack of analogue zoom makes it harder to frame shots. 

Some days ago.... Mayan potatoes from Coles going cheap.

Pretty good stuff, refining the cooking method.  Seem to go better when cut into larger pieces.  Tonight was part of lamb leg meal so it was 1:45 boil in microwave, couple of minutes in the fryer then into the roast pan for the last 20 minutes.

Took the plunge and bought a Surface Book 2 15". Been a while since I've been in Windows land (for my own computers at least), but so far I'm quite impressed. It hasn't all been smooth sailing, and reformatting my backup drives took forever, but now I've got all the teething problems sorted out I'm really enjoying it.

I don't have it in my hands yet, but a Samsung S7 (refurb). It's travelling all the way from Hawthorn to Chelsea, so a few days delivery time is reasonable for such a journey.