Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

2 of the world's ugliest webcams for $1 and $2 each from Salvo stores.  One's a pig and the other looks like a cross between a minion and a Bubble Bobble monster.  Top resolution of 640x480.

The thought being that I could just pull the guts out and have a couple of nice little inspection cameras.
But the board it's mounted on + components and flimsy soldered in wiring means the thing takes about 2 x 2 x 1.5 cm minimum so not exactly great for tight spaces.

Posted (edited)

gtx1060a.jpg.9d907c7d7e59cc2267ff748a2d24b74c.jpg

a gigabyte gtx1060 6gb - ocau's loss is my gain at a bargain price, almost brand new

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD-rev-10-11#kf

matches my other components to perfection, so i am now pimped to the max for an older build :

i7-2600k  4.1ghz @1.22v / megahalems / gigabyte z77-d3h / samsung 850 evo 250 / 2x8gb G.Skill ares @ 2133 cl10 / asus xonar d2 + klipsch promedia ultra 2.0 + ath ad700 / Lian Li PC-A17B & corsair hx750i & noctua fans / gigabyte gtx1060 oc 6g / dell u2515h

+120 core / +160 vram - boosts to over 2ghz gaming without any voltage tweaks, and maxes out at 72c or so with minimal fan noise, compared to the gtx760 oc it replaced, which was silent enough in 2d, but revved under gaming quite noticeably

only pulls 120w, needing a single 6 pin auxiliary power cable (the 76o0needed 6+8)

rise of flight at 1440 fully blinged up is beautiful to behold, and i am having a hoot replaying crysis 2, while dishonored 2 is waiting for its turn

i'm really pleased with my buy 🙂

Edited by scruffy1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Posted (edited)

Nice buy Scuffy1, I have a built-in 6GB GTX1060 in my laptop (no plans to OC it, don't want to fry the laptop).

Edited by Jeruselem

On 8/28/2018 at 12:59 PM, SpudMuffin said:

New Fridge!

• Like 1

LongClaw! The letter opener, because getting a full sized sword through customs might be tricky ...

A Luxa2 EnerGBar 90 Watt universal laptop power adaptor from MSY.

I'd been thinking about one for a while, occasionally come across a device without power supply.  I've known Jaycar has them for some time but didn't like the price.
$60 from MSY, hard to resist.  I was actually there to get another desktop PSU as I'd sold my other spare - grabbed a Corsair 550 while I was there.

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

A Luxa2 EnerGBar 90 Watt universal laptop power adaptor from MSY.

I'd been thinking about one for a while, occasionally come across a device without power supply.  I've known Jaycar has them for some time but didn't like the price.
$60 from MSY, hard to resist.  I was actually there to get another desktop PSU as I'd sold my other spare - grabbed a Corsair 550 while I was there.

im curious what the voltage output is.  the input voltage ranges for each laptop differ from 17.6-21V lowest min/highest max.  so i wonder if each connector drops the EnerGBar's voltage different amounts or it is just within all ranges, eg. 19V.

I expected it to have a slide switch but there is none.  It just says "Compatible for all laptops with DC 18V - 20V input".

So, unsure how it does it.  Maybe it's got smarts and just raises the voltage until the current draw stops going down (?)
Though I've found that laptops expecting 18.5 generally work fine with adaptors that are 19 and other way 'round.
Essentially you're usually just series feeding a bank of 18650s anyway, and the usual for those from memory is to give them more volts than nominal during charging.

Very annoyingly though (and they're not mentioned on the list of "major brands supported") there's no matching plug for this old Sony Viao that I've got here, though it's so old that it's a P3 with Win 2000 sticker.

(it comes with 10 common plug types)