Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Some dead sectors are appearing on my old 1.5 and 2TB drives, so today I handed MSY my credit card and walked away with some new 6 and 10TB NAS drives, and a 1TB SSD.  Now to find the effort to swap them in one at a time and fill them up.

The prospect of losing so much data is scary.
But I suppose history repeats - every few years we just replace the old gear with a bigger one and relegate the old to holding stuff we don't care too much about.

Counting only drives 2 TB and over I'd be almost over 20 TB now.

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Some dead sectors are appearing on my old 1.5 and 2TB drives

40 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Counting only drives 2 TB and over I'd be almost over 20 TB now.

Y'know, since my first owned PC (ie: not a school or borrowed one), I've lost exactly zero hard drives.  Floppies galore, a ZIP, and a CD burner, but no HDDs.  Yet.

As much as I always felt at the time that I had stuff it's vital to keep backed up, it always turned out that I just didn't give a shit about transferring what was on them when I got a new machine.  Eventually, I stopped caring.  If I have a file or folder of vital somethings, that gets burned immediately... Well, did - this box has no mechanical drives at all: huge SSD and USB slots.

I lost a few drives back around 15-18 years ago, and maybe a couple a little more recently than that.  But it was back when Seagate or WD or whatever were having a lot of issues - when Maxtor was still a thing.  They died as in they were virtually bricked.  I was lucky enough to back up most data before then.  I had a few early-ish SSDs, OCZ Vertex drives, die with not much warning and no change to salvage data, but they were for office PCs that were easy to repopulate.

Since then, it's replacement via obsolescence: I can only have so many drives hooked up to the computer, and when I run out of space, the smallest ones go.  Right now, ignoring my SSD, the smallest drives are the 1.5 and 2TB.

The drives still work, but the presence of the problem sectors worries me about their long-term future.  With about 20TB of drives loaded in this machine, I have half a TB of free space, and 60% of that is on one of the dying drives that I'm doing my best to keep empty just-in-case.

In the coming week I'll probably pull a spare 2TB drive out of my wardrobe and copy some stuff onto it for cold archival, and start deleting some system backups and data dumps from the past decade.  Realistically, there's probably only a few hundred GB of data I couldn't easily replace if a drive died, and a bunch of that is of personal sentimental and historical value.

Hmm,

I'm much like Cybes, if I were to lose a drive, and I have lost precisely one in the last 20 years, I really could not care, I even completely format drives when installing new Os's on a fairly regular basis, after backing up docs and images but nothing much else, most all data, and apps, are pretty ephemeral.

I have one Maxtor that is so old that it does amaze me that it still rattles to life in its external case on the rare occasion I use it on the bench for some testing, it has nothing I would care about on it if it did fail but I'm rather interested in seeing just when it does finally succumb to old age.

Cheers

I lost a 1 TB WD Green about 4 years ago which wasn't totally tragic but I made it worse by mistakingly thinking another of 3 I had installed at the time was the dying one and moving stuff to the actual dying one.

Since then I've kept the machine simple and run 1 SSD + 1 mechanical to keep the heat down.
With the NBN and amount of free email + cloud around I should be able to guarantee the irreplacable stuff is backed up offsite.

• Sad 1

Lost 2 drives out of about 40 in 25 odd years. One was part of a RAID5 array, so no concern there, the other was an 2.5" external USB drive that after about 4-5 years started struggling to read content. I think I lost a few worthless files - videos or music.

After running RAID1 for a few years, then RAID5 for a decade the last PC was built without them. These days my total storage requirements are <5TB - While I have about 6-7 computers for different purposes, most of them don't really hold any data of value.  Dropbox, and a budget NAS mean that the <1GB of documents and files that are important are easily managed. Extra copies on the NAS and an offsite USB HDD keep the photo collections from special events that do take up about 1TB, that I would prefer not to lose - but that's a post-event sync that's easy to cover off. The rest is able to be reaquired - I don't have any torrent collections to get precious about.- just a ripped CD collection, and some OS & apps to be installed. Yeah, it would take time and be annoying - but that MIGHT happen, where as stressing about data backup.

As for my latest RL purchase... Decided to get into console gaming, so with the BF/CM sales: PS4 PRO, Playstation Plus, Spiderman Game, Destiny 2 pack,  G29 steering wheel. Also some network gear. An extra network switch  (so I can trunk VLANs from the rack to the office - The network now has 5 switches in total), and a GPS so I can run serial/1PPS NTP directly on my gateway and retire the separate Raspberry Pi Stratum 1 NTP server.

• Like 1

I used my Leave Loading plus some AfterPay to get a Google Home Hub and Samsung Dex Pad

Google Home Hub is pretty awesome, I'd like to buy 2 more to replace my Google Home and Home Mini. The screen adds so much more functionality, and is even a chromecast device for streaming.

Dex Pad is good too, but the implementation is clunky. I can't figure out how to use it as a fast charge dock and switch to Dex mode when I want to. Now, it just automatically switches to Dex mode, and I have to turn on the display to switch it back to Fast Charge Mode.

Ryzen 5 2600, MSI rx580 Armor mkII, 16gb Kingston Fury ddr4, ASrock b450 pro 4

The kids needed something better than the old AMD A4 based All in one so they get my had me down i3, the garage gets the old i5 and my office goes AMD for the first time in years.

🙂

Not sure where you been flip, but hi 🙂

Cheers

Spoiler

I basically bought anything and everything at Aldi containing marzipan.  Marzipan and chocolate baumkuchen, marzipan stollen, amaretto christmas tarts, amaretto and cherry covered christmas pudding. 

It's the reason for the season.

Hi Chris. I'm around from time to time. I get caught up in so many other things these days though. I always feel happy knowing that people are keeping this place alive.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:00 PM, Nich... said:

I basically bought anything and everything at Aldi containing marzipan.  Marzipan and chocolate baumkuchen, marzipan stollen, amaretto christmas tarts, amaretto and cherry covered christmas pudding. 

Ooooo man, nomnomnomnomnomnom.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, scruffy1 said:

integrated variometer and receiver for glider 

To make finding those thermals easier?

50 minutes ago, aliali said:

To make finding those thermals easier?

to find out how high i hoist it with discus launch, and to log the flights (and to monitor the battery in the rx - it's a pretty cool toy)

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-g-rx8.html

i bought it to encourage me to finally build the thowt (see below), which i bought when the oz $ was flying high, but as i haven't broken my 900mm model yet, i have procrastinated ++  on getting to it, which has been beneficial as in the interim they started producing the all-in-one rx/altimeter, and this iteration is good to go with a single cell for power

a7321862-14-5.JPG

We bought a frig, " Beko ", made in Thailand. Really bog-standard issue with not even a designated meat compartment ... but it has bloody great seals ! We know this because the other day we were without power for over eight hours 😞 ... this did not
deter the Beko one. little. bit ! no sirreee !! no food poisoning emanating from this household thankyouverymuch !!

Our old frig had been with us eleven years, but this last few years it was getting a bit shrill, and frankly teeth-jarring with some of it's noisy machinations. Being yet another secondhand purchase, I reckon the Beko is the bees fricking knees. Almost new with,
as I said, iron-grip seals , at two hundred dollars it's a peaceful-god-send

Meat compartment?  Most fridges have the seperate freezer, the crisper bin, cheese and egg zones in the doors and sometimes a "chill zone" which is cooler than the rest.  NFI about no meat compartment though.

58 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Meat compartment? 

It's usually the top shelf of the frig. The old frig had a pull out semi-closed shelf for meat. This one well you just assume top shelf of frig would be best for meat ... has the other zones you mention too. Just no fancy shit ... though it does make a 'ping' noise if you have door open
too long <<< that's a really new-fangled trick for me 😉

when we renovated the kitchen / living room a few years back, one of the "white goods" we bought was a (rather expensive) mitsubishi fridge

it has 2 doors and no less than 4 drawers to stash stuff  - and two of the drawers have separate sliding compartments

i have never really been much of a fridge fanbois till them - but this thing is fucking awesome, and as quiet as an frozen ninja

amongst its other marvellous attributes are an ice cube drawer, where it isn't plumbed, but you fill a container that slides in the main doored compartment, and it drops ice into the drawer from above onto a foam carpeted tray (so it isn't loud), and by some oriental magic the cubes remain permanently individual - that and the main freezer drawer (and another small one also) never make frost at all, and it has been running for over 2.5 years without more than the occasional clean

and the doors don't shut automatically, so loading stuff isn't a constant fight with such a mechanism

and it does the "ping" if you forget to close them, but it's a very quiet occasional beep until you ignore it long enough, and then it gets more frequent but no more annoying, as if is politely apologising that it needs your assistance to function correctly

• Like 1

Yours sounds rather magnificent scruffy. Definitely too much frig for me and Walt, we don't hoard a lot of fresh food.  As a result of the intermittent power issues here and our previous frig's ability, we run a light frig 😉 Given the way this Beko held it's cold for over eight
hours ( cubed ice in freezer remained cubed toooo ) I can see us gaining confidence with our fresh stock supplies.

Edited by eveln

On 12/12/2018 at 5:57 PM, eveln said:

It's usually the top shelf of the frig. The old frig had a pull out semi-closed shelf for meat. This one well you just assume top shelf of frig would be best for meat ... has the other zones you mention too. Just no fancy shit ... though it does make a 'ping' noise if you have door open
too long <<< that's a really new-fangled trick for me 😉

TBH, if it's an enclosed tray, it might be worth using for meat.  If it's just another shelf, use the bottom.  Don't want meat dripping on pretty much anything else in there, accidentally or otherwise.

...in related news, I might be going fridge and freezer shopping in the near future. 

40 minutes ago, Nich... said:

TBH, if it's an enclosed tray, it might be worth using for meat.  If it's just another shelf, use the bottom.  Don't want meat dripping on pretty much anything else in there, accidentally or otherwise.

...in related news, I might be going fridge and freezer shopping in the near future. 

Yes. The enclosed compartment worked well. 

As said above we keep a light frig, and well, so far the meat keeps well on the top shelf ... but as it's a new ( too us ) frig, what occupies which shelf is up to the idiosyncrasies of this frig and of course our habits will change to suit.

good luck with your frig hunting. unless you've unlimited funds, I don't much envy you :)

The old FRITZ!Box 7390 is dead long live the the new FRITZ!Box 7490......and the FRITZ!Fon C5 handset. Got them as a sale bundle $349.00 It's a pretty good price for the pair of them. My previous Fritz boxen got zapped in a storm.Had it eight years. Was advanced enough that last Jan/Feb when I got nbn available just a minor setting tweak and remove the splitter to get it working on nbn.

Anyway new one is schmic 🙂

fritzbox-7490-and-fritzfon-c5-front.jpg

Edited by Waltish
grammar

7 hours ago, Waltish said:

The old FRITZ!Box 7390 is dead long live the the new FRITZ!Box 7490

Still running my old 7390 with no dramas on NBN Fixed Wireless. If I upgraded I would be tempted with the 7590. Have to get it from New Zealand

https://www.gowifi.co.nz/routers/fb7590.html

as they are still not available in AU.

FRITZ!Fon C5

Ye nice handsets those. The C4 is also good, got an IT support customer with the C4.

My previous Fritz boxen got zapped in a storm

Sure it wasn't just the power supply brick that got fried? Worth checking.

Edited by aliali
bleh
  • Like 1

That's well worth checking, to have the old one as a backup, must do it later, eveln is in WOT at the moment.

Will post the results.

I did have a VTec handset and used it's base station, got the C5 be cause of the sale and there are some good features by using the base station in the fritzbox with the fritzfon C5.

Think the sale is to clear the stock for the new flagship 7590 🙂