Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Just plugged the power brick from the new fritz into the old one, no signs of life were detected. 🙂

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Waltish said:

Just plugged the power brick from the new fritz into the old one, no signs of life were detected.

😞 She be dead then.

1 hour ago, Waltish said:

Just plugged the power brick from the new fritz into the old one, no signs of life were detected. 🙂

• Haha 1

My new Stereo Receiver arrived today. I updated from my old Digitech which is getting on. This new S/R has 2 x 100W RMS, bluetooth, direct speakers etc  ... Punchy as hell. Even Bat Out Of Hell sounds good  🙂

stereoamp-1500.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/21/2018 at 2:18 AM, Waltish said:

Is that 100W RMS at 8 ohms JediKnight ☺️

Specs say Maximum Effective Output Power is  2 x 100W @ 6 Ohms, 1Khz, 2ch Driven of 10% THD. I assume that's good. It certainly sounds great. 😁

🙂

6ohms is rather more real world anyway, 8ohms was always nothing more than an average, speaker load presented to the amp output varies continuously. Even difficult to drive speakers such as the old Gale 401s although rated at 8ohms rarely really showed that load in a lot of tests I once did - all over the place, even down to a near dead short.

That's a very nice receiver, had a listen to one last week -still like to keep abreast of new equipment.

Pioneer are back from the abyss of rubbish they churned out for years, even their latest speakers are getting good reviews in hallowed journals such as Stereophile.

The only stupid power rating is PMPO (Peak Music Power Output) Very common with car audio, utterly meaningless in real terms but often spouted by know nothing sales people to impress the gullible.

Cheers.

Edited by chrisg

yeah, the wharfedale subwoofer i have is rated at 250w !! (single 10" driver), and gets its signal from a the nad d-3020 rated at 30w per channel (like the ancient luxman it eventually replaced); "dynamic power" (what?) is 65w per the spec sheet

i am unable to stay in the room beyond 3/4 volume - it is truly overwhelming but not distorted - it rates thd @ < 0.005% (is that possible ?)

the sub is turned almost to zero, or it crowds the mix, but if i crank it for giggles, the house vibrates - i must say it is very noticeable in movies with the woofer on

subtle use of volume with plenty of power in reserve is my favourite recipe

have fun !  nice stereo gear is a blissful thing to have, and a bit like owning a good computer, once you've owned a hifi that works well, it is very difficult to ever regress to something less capable

the secret is to not purposefully expose yourself to something much better for long enough to have it become "normal"

Heh,

0.005% THD is certainly possible, at the power transistors, what it actually is at the output jacks ? Depends, probably being a very good quality amp not much higher but the signal will have gone through other components that all have THD levels, even cable.

NAD tend to be a very honest company but THD is a slippery measurement. 

Hardly matters, the THD of your speakers will inevitably be higher in any event, varying with volume.

My beloved valve amps, don't currently have one, are much less accurate but still sound great.

Cheers

yeah

i was incredibly lucky in that my first ever "stereo" was bought as a set of matched components after careful listening at he local high end distributor in adelaide (as my 21st birthday treat, on a budget of $1000 - a fortune in those days)

the very capable salesman talked me out of a pioneer amp (that many of my informed friends had), by making me listen to the epicure speakers and hitachi cassette player i had already chosen, through the luxman L2

epiphany !  that amp lasted me for the next 20 years, and when the epicures were rendered u/s after an infamous cat piss on the woofer incident, i bought a pair of wharfedale diamond 3's (the last made in the uk) on special at len wallis - who are still the major high end dealer on the north shore here, almost sound unheard, and loved them almost forever

the lux eventually succumbed to living near the seaside and age, and i got a pair of active speakers from aldi, with bluetooth capability, which were surprisingly passable - largely due to the lux having probably degraded to similar quality over 35 years 🙂

then i found a very capable cheap chinese T class amp (actually for headphones) which drove the d3's at acceptable volume and quality, better than the aldi ones sounded

as a gift to myself, i got inspired by the nad d-3020, and around the same time in a blitz of online research discovered the recent wharfedale offerings, at which point a new release rendered the 10 series essentially remaindered stock, allowing me to buy a ridiculously cheap set of two way speakers - but without auditioning them, on the basis of excellent reviews (always a crap shoot, given personal variation in taste, but knowing how excellent i found the 3 series)

then a melbourne distributor was clearing a matched top model subwoofer of the set, at around half list price including delivery to sydney, in the same cherry veneer, and i was done for

i gave the lux L2 to len wallis to auction and raise funds for charity amongst his clientele (along with my venerable dbx dynamic range expander - a piece of hifi history i got with the lux), when i picked up the nad - in retrospect i wish i hadn't donated it, as with my current skills i might have replaced its ageing capacitors and revitalised it, but hopefully someone else has already done that and is loving it still

joe, the man who supplied the 10 series 2 ways then had a clearance of the bespoke pedestal stands, and i had one last spending spree and have since stopped - anyone after sound gear should talk to him via csvav.com.au - best deal, and most unbiased and knowledgeable salesman i have met since my original stereo deal last century

the sum total of speakers with stands and amp cost around $1800 - astounding for the quality and less than twice what i had paid for the 2 way system back in 1979 pretty close to 4 decades previously, but admittedly the speakers and stands would have set me back over $1k more had i not found them on special via obsessive google-fu

ah, nostalgia...

Edited by scruffy1

9 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

6ohms is rather more real world anyway, 8ohms was always nothing more than an average, speaker load presented to the amp output varies continuously. Even difficult to drive speakers such as the old Gale 401s although rated at 8ohms rarely really showed that load in a lot of tests I once did - all over the place, even down to a near dead short.

That's a very nice receiver, had a listen to one last week -still like to keep abreast of new equipment.

Pioneer are back from the abyss of rubbish they churned out for years, even their latest speakers are getting good reviews in hallowed journals such as Stereophile.

The only stupid power rating is PMPO (Peak Music Power Output) Very common with car audio, utterly meaningless in real terms but often spouted by know nothing sales people to impress the gullible.

Cheers.

Actually, I only use headphones (Sennheiser of course). I like my music loud, but only in my ears, so as not to annoy the neighbours, and it masks the sound of someone knocking at the door 😁

I cottoned on to the PMPO shit decades ago when it first appeared. I was at an Archie Martin Vox store, and this huge mofo all-in-one system was claiming "1,000W PMPO!!!". Checking the back it read 10W RMS ... 😂

The sales bloke was insistent it had 1,000W. I was insistent he was an idiot 😀

my only cans are a pair of audiotechnica ath700's - but i liked them enough to have since purchased no less than another 4 examples to supply my offspring (x2) and a neighbour who liked them, and my best friend as a birthday present

i sometimes get itchy for a phone amp and some opamp rolling, with different phones, but.... then i spend all my play money on r/c aeroplane stuff  🙂

being off for year and a half being crook means my discretionary spending since has been very minimal 😞

• Haha 1

@Scruffy.

Very interesting, do you recall the dealer in Adelaide ? I knew most of them back then, sounds like it may have been Blackwood Hi-Fi but could be wrong. I worked in the field there for a few years, still would, but it does not pay too well - audio is a life-long obsession for me. We sold the likes of Apogee, Craft, McLaren, Infinity, Marantz, Mod Squad, Kimber etc. all great stuff.

I know Len Wallis from years ago and Joe by reputation, you buy from the right people 🙂

Interesting you mention T Class, once I get settled I plan to mod my existing Yamaha receiver with some T Class kit I have - great sound and my speakers, heavily modified kits are very efficient so no problem to drive.

@Jedi, had to laugh at your comment on PMPO, and totally agree on Sennheisers, my HD414s are still going strong after decades, need new ear pads and you can still get them 🙂

Cheers

Outcast - the link doesn't work, including if I login to UK ebay.  Looks like it's got a session ID so would only work with your userid.

21 hours ago, JediKnight said:

Specs say Maximum Effective Output Power is  2 x 100W @ 6 Ohms, 1Khz, 2ch Driven of 10% THD. I assume that's good. It certainly sounds great. 😁

Just curious , used to have some Polk Audio speakers, and they were rated at 4 ohms.

Most amps in those days were 8 ohms some were switchable to 4 ohms so pairing the Polks needed some consideration.

The Polks were 60 watts RMS  at 4 ohms bookshelf units.

🙂

Polk were not the only ones to offer a 4ohm load Walt, a few other brands did and probably still do, it is more common in car audio speakers. an 8ohm rated amp still works fine into the load but 8ohm is far more the norm..

Cheers

8 hours ago, Outcast_Aussie said:

Ok trying to get my head around that thing. After looking through the pics I assume you are going to be welding up your own battery packs for the EBike?

I didn't even know domestic spot welders where available so there ya go I learnt something.

Edited by aliali
stuff

11 hours ago, chrisg said:

@Scruffy.

Very interesting, do you recall the dealer in Adelaide ? I knew most of them back then, sounds like it may have been Blackwood Hi-Fi but could be wrong. I worked in the field there for a few years, still would, but it does not pay too well - audio is a life-long obsession for me. We sold the likes of Apogee, Craft, McLaren, Infinity, Marantz, Mod Squad, Kimber etc. all great stuff.

challenge hifi in pirie st

no, my memory isn't that good, but my ocd retention of documents is longstanding 🙂

🙂

Ah yes, a good dealer, long gone I believe but one of clutch of good dealers then in the Adelaide CBD.

Cheers

the man who looked after me had a scottish accent, and i liked that he showed me what they had in my price range, after listening to what i thought i wanted, and then impressed me with alternatives that showed themselves superior; best technique you can have if you want me to buy things

joe at csv was crazy good; we discussed a subwoofer to match the bookshelf ones he sold me, and i then found the 10.gx  interstate and rang him back - he simply said "that's a really good deal, buy it" - no attempt to sway me with his alternatives, which simply weren't as viable, and he was truly keen on how perfect the other vendor's offering was for what i needed

likewise the stands - i rang to ask on a price, and he immediately offered me his floor stock at a huge discount - sure, it was "last gen", but actually bespoke for the actual speakers i'd got

i recommend joe to anyone in the market - even if they aren't local  🙂

Some emergency last-minute Target shopping to pick up more foodsaver bags for now, and another 10 rolls via ebay sometime in the new year, to make the most of my new (to me) Anova.

I left my day-to-day headphones in Melbourne by mistake, an old pair of Razors, so I dug out my Beyer DT660s and a) I remember why i stopped using them, the tension in the headband is too tight, b) the foam inserts that cover the drivers literally fell apart as I picked them up, so ordered some new inserts/cup covers and a new padded band to go on top of my head.

• Like 1

after noting i was itchy for a headphone amp, one of the crew at ocau suddenly put up 2x cmoy portables (the classic "altoid" tin one, and a variant in an eclipse mint tin)

the altoids one  has a swappable opamp !  😄   couldn't resist the possibilities that offers

looks like i get to have a play without soldering one up, and the pair are cheaper than a single kit from usa - go santa !  ms 24 can see how she feels about the other

IMG_20181222_173803-M.jpg