Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

12 hours ago, aliali said:

Ok trying to get my head around that thing. After looking through the pics I assume you are going to be welding up your own battery packs for the EBike?

I didn't even know domestic spot welders where available so there ya go I learnt something.

That's the plan !

The rear Rack mount is just too heavy on the rear end so I initially planned to make a triangle 72v battery  for the frame but it's a real mind fuck trying to work it out. One wrong connection and I become the local terrorist !

So I'm going to build a rectangle one where the battery should go (under the seat). I have the controller  in the place at the minute but can make a housing in the triangle !

@Scruffy.

Those look like fun ?

I'm looking forward to my T class conversion but it will be a while.

Cheers

the T class i got was a small waplington, which is simply a re-badged topping from china

under $100 back then, and enough to drive the diamond 3's

I bought one  of the early Sonic Impact super T amps (basically the budget version repackaged in an aluminium case). It was bought to drive an ancient set of bookshelf speakers hooked up to my keyboard, but one day I tried it in the HT system with the DC-Xs , and was very impressed with what $100 could deliver. 

5-8 W was quite enough for most music - although I expect big movies would be wanting.

yeah, the waplington suggested it delivers 25w per channel, but i doubt it - unless that's "peak"

anything a tad over 50% volume was asking for a bit of distortion, but at lower levels it delivers plenty to drive the diamond 3's with excellent sound provided via the xonar hdav with a burson v5i opamp

?

I have a pair of Sonic Impacts as well stadl, the power trannies going into my receiver are the same as they use.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

power trannies

.oO( big shoulder pads and lipstick )

!  No, that's probably not what he meant, brain.

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

.oO( big shoulder pads and lipstick )

!  No, that's probably not what he meant, brain.

?

Not exactly... ?

Cheers

Just went to Ozbargain for a squiz and next thing you know I've bought a Kogan RGB non-ghosting, n-key rollover keyboard for just under 50 bucks including shipping.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/428548

Had a quick look around for reviews and thought it appears not the exact same model the response was generally good.

Other recents a fuel filter that otherwise would have been about 20 more, a USB charge board for Nexus 7 just in case the need pops up, and an airmouse to replace one that seems to have fried it's USB dongle.

17 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

few things be sadder than a fried dongle

I read that twice and still shook my head.

Ohhhhh dearrrrrrr....  Scruffy...

*shakes head and wanders off again*

46 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

*shakes head and wanders off again*

/dies_laffin

Wouldn't call that 'sad' so much as tragic.

• Haha 1

A good aspect of post-Xmas is that the chains try to get rid of the themed stuff ASAP and price accordingly - sidenote, yep I sighted hot crossed buns all of about 36 hours after Christmas had ended.

These were sufficiently good that I went back and got 4 more boxes - 200 grams of chocolate pretzels for 2 bucks (in fact they're sort of rounded cubes but have that character like the salted caramel types).
And a packet of tomato salsa Smiths Crisps.  I hardly ever buy normal chips but had to give them a go, so far very tasty with a bit of kick to them.

• Like 1

177792_2.jpg

to go in the cmoy headphone amp

it's actually a lipo with a regulator and auto shut off for undervolt protection on discharge , that you can charge with a micro usb cable - sure beats tossing out dead 9v after several hours of music

even better, the altoids tin amp works using a dual opa627 opamp in the dip socket, which was a major upgrade at no expense - they were "spares" after i upgraded the xonar to a burson v5i

having done the complete "dark side of the moon" test drive, i am really happy with the results - portable sound quality not that much less than having to be near the home system

these batteries are clever for things where "sudden death" of the power supply is inconvenient rather than fatal - so not much use in smoke detectors or radio control transmitters, but perfect for multimeters and guitar pedals ... and my headphone amp  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

/looks on eBay.

PMSL - first one that turns up has "RC helicopter" in the title.  800 mAh - I assume that translates to 7.2 Watt hours which I guess is about the energy density you'd expect.

Seems they're all over the place, ranging 400-800.  And the norm for Chinesium batterea is to overstate the capacity.

the usable capacity is probably ~240mah - given that to supply 9v they are using a nominal 4.2v fully charged 1s lipo cell

standard 9v delivers 400-600mah allegedly, but the voltage sags quite appreciably at the end, whereas the lipo equivalent is essentially 9v or auto-off

i can live with that restriction; even 500 cycles is a few years of daily use - so lots of waste using old school cells

local source : https://hobbyking.com/en_us/znter-9v-400mah-usb-rechargeable-li-po-battery.html

Edited by scruffy1

12 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

177792_2.jpg

to go in the cmoy headphone amp

it's actually a lipo with a regulator and auto shut off for undervolt protection on discharge , that you can charge with a micro usb cable - sure beats tossing out dead 9v after several hours of music

even better, the altoids tin amp works using a dual opa627 opamp in the dip socket, which was a major upgrade at no expense - they were "spares" after i upgraded the xonar to a burson v5i

having done the complete "dark side of the moon" test drive, i am really happy with the results - portable sound quality not that much less than having to be near the home system

these batteries are clever for things where "sudden death" of the power supply is inconvenient rather than fatal - so not much use in smoke detectors or radio control transmitters, but perfect for multimeters and guitar pedals ... and my headphone amp  ?

Great idea that, pity I don't use much of 9V batteries other than the smoke alarm

Edited by Jeruselem

14 hours ago, Rybags said:

A good aspect of post-Xmas is that the chains try to get rid of the themed stuff ASAP and price accordingly - sidenote, yep I sighted hot crossed buns all of about 36 hours after Christmas had ended.

These were sufficiently good that I went back and got 4 more boxes - 200 grams of chocolate pretzels for 2 bucks (in fact they're sort of rounded cubes but have that character like the salted caramel types).
And a packet of tomato salsa Smiths Crisps.  I hardly ever buy normal chips but had to give them a go, so far very tasty with a bit of kick to them.

Cleaned up at Aldi theother day, and all their marked-down post-Christmas themed food.

Posted (edited)

Officeworks - grabbed 4 x Verbatim 8 Gig flashdrives for the purpose of bootables like Windows installers and recovery utilities for $4 each.

Get home and for whatever reason go to the website again and realise the 16 and 32 Gig ones are $4.24 and $6.98 each (only USB 2 in all cases) so went to another on the way to somewhere else and grabbed some.
Think I'll return the 8 Gig ones tomorrow and flip the little extra for the bigger ones.

Edited by Rybags

13 hours ago, Rybags said:

Think I'll return the 8 Gig ones tomorrow and flip the little extra for the bigger ones.

Can't see the point really. If all they are going to be used for are bootables like Windows installers and recovery utilities  then the larger size is pointless as these sorts of utilities use way less than 8Gb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliali said:

Can't see the point really. If all they are going to be used for are bootables like Windows installers and recovery utilities  then the larger size is pointless as these sorts of utilities use way less than 8Gb.

I think most windows ISOs these days are 4GB or over. So you'd need pretty much 8GB. Linux ones are around 2Gb so those don't use much space but then most of the Linux install is pretty much a download.

1 hour ago, aliali said:

I use a couple of 16gb sticks. One with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 and another with server isos and then they both have my drive cloning tool and a Linux iso. It means I have less hanging around everywhere. Also if you want to add drivers/programs you commonly use to a standard media creation tool usb it can be handy to have the extra size. One usb that does everything. And if they're almost the same price, why not have the flexibility?