Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

The problem with doing it that way - I've put a 2.5" SSD into a portable enclosure and you get poor performance since it just gets treated as an IDE emulated mode drive so no AHCI or TRIM going on.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The problem with doing it that way - I've put a 2.5" SSD into a portable enclosure and you get poor performance since it just gets treated as an IDE emulated mode drive so no AHCI or TRIM going on.

I actually got it so I can recover M.2 drives at work since a lot new machines we bought don't have SATA SSDs anymore. My new laptop also uses an M.2 for OS drive

Edited by Jeruselem

I've got 2 such interfaces also though they're M.2 and NGFF to Sata - but easy enough to just connect to a USB to Sata adaptor.

For stuff that's mostly read-only it'd be fine but I don't think it'd be good for general use such as a source of backups.

2 arrivals - the Kogan RGB keyboard.  Seems good quality but the keyclick noise is almost as much as an IBM Model M.
Had a quick test in Limbo, the cursor keys still working fine with a palmfull of alpha keys also depressed.

Airmouse - this thing has backlighting everywhere but turns off fairly quickly, seems like it can't be disabled.

posted these in another thread, but please enjoy:

kghHia3l.jpg

I was able to buy three spare batteries on clearance from MTA for $7ea

vKFhY35l.jpg

gQ278SDl.jpg

54 minutes ago, smadge1 said:

posted these in another thread, but please enjoy:

Oh neat, very neat.

HMV has gone into Administration again so we went into town today to specifically buy some Cd's & Dvd's from there !

I went in to buy Beatles Cd's as although I have some of the "hits" the only albums I've actually got are Let it Be & Sgt Pepper. Listening to the "Please Please Me" Cd there are songs on there that remind me of when practically our entire family convoyed down to Cornwall for  camping holidays in the 60's. Such an Epic trip back then as there where no motorways.  The tunes reminding me of (tinny) music drifting through the air along with the smell of bacon sizzling on Tilley camping stoves !

I'm nearly 58 so those radios must've been those tiny transistor radio things. Most cars didn't have radios in the 60's. I think we went down in a Ford Anglia !

OsfXheG.jpg

Aaah memories.. HMV (His Masters Voice) soon to join them !

8k93ATal.jpg

Total load.. About £30 (Broke my wallet for this week)

• Like 1

Is that HMV on Oxford Street Outcast ?

Used to keep me broke in early 70s, way too much vinyl ?

That Anglia brings back memories, one of my cousins had one and was forever hotting it up. A group of us used to get around in a bigger version with same inswept rear window - don't recall what it was called - apart from POS ?

Cheers

Ch

Posted (edited)

Consul or Zephyr maybe?  Or even Prefect Though I don't think any had the reverse swept window and Prefect was discontinued by 1961.

ed - found it.  Consul Classic.  Even the 4 door has the reverse sweep on the back doors.
ed2 - fixed first pic link.

330px-1963_Ford_Consul_Classic_1.5_Rear.

1920px-Ford_Classic_two_door_registered_

Edited by Rybags

9 hours ago, chrisg said:

Is that HMV on Oxford Street Outcast ?

Used to keep me broke in early 70s, way too much vinyl ?

That Anglia brings back memories, one of my cousins had one and was forever hotting it up. A group of us used to get around in a bigger version with same inswept rear window - don't recall what it was called - apart from POS ?

Cheers

Ch

HMV has stores in most major cities Chris. I bought those CD's from HMV in Queensgate (our local shopping mall)

https://www.queensgate-shopping.co.uk/shops/mall-guide.html

I would imagine the closure will throw thousands on the UB40

Rybags yeah that's a Consul Classic which is basically the first Capris !

?

I was thinking early 70s, I lived in London or nearby then so only knew of the Oxford Street store, guess they may have expanded.

Consul definitely guys, the titular owner seemed to spend as much time under it as he did driving it. Led to a few humorous road trips.

I always rather liked the look of the Capri, but never owned one. FORD, "found On the Road DEAD" as a taxi driver in Dallas once told me, he was driving us in a GM car, of course ?

Cheers

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, fliptopia said:

The vesa mount is recessed though so I have to modify my wall mount to fit it *looks at angle grinder*

No need to do that. Use longer bolts and put stand off spacers between Vesa mount plate and monitor. Easiest is a bunch of washers or some nuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aliali said:

No need to do that. Use longer bolts and put stand off spacers between Vesa mount plate and monitor. Easiest is a bunch of washers or some nuts.

Yeah, good idea. Stand offs would work. I originally that against longer bolts so I didn't squash the back. Then again there is all this superfluous plate at the back... 

Another option is rotatable mount though I guess you'd probably not want it for one that size.

this for mr 16's low end gaming machine (2500k and gtx750)

5 year warranty, and easy to  plumb in the lanboy 2 (still going strong as his case for over a decade); the ancient corsair hx-650 is failing (cold boot issues - which is too good an excuse for him to leave it on 24/7 in the holidays)

51yOyAh5xnL.jpg

and this for ms 24, who needed a smaller rig than her older gigabyte isolo of almost a decade ago

41462_P_1516760921653.jpg

that's a thermaltake versa h18 - crazy bargain for $49 including the rear fan; it's a 2 compartment case

i was actually really impressed by the clever design and quality of this case, which features excellent cooling ability and allows a very tidy installation including rubber mounts for the drives - the single case fan keeps her passively cooled i3 3220 under 50c loaded and full speed (admittedly it's sitting under a whopping thermalright hr-01), and idling at less than 10c over ambient this evening despite the relative heat

for anyone contemplating a micro-atx build, you couldn't hope to match it at this price point

highly recommended ?

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Rybags said:

Another option is rotatable mount though I guess you'd probably not want it for one that size.

Haha. That would really reduce scrolling. 

Cool... I've not had anything really to do with their real HW either arcade or home but used to play Puzzle de Pon almost every day in Mame.

Then got lured by the Puzzle Bobble games, especially 3.

So I found a 55" LG smart telly on the nature strip over the road this week. 

Took it home, plugged it in, away it went. Hmm, why was it dumped, I wondered. 45 minutes later I had my answer when the backlight conked out. Ripped it apart, got the number off the power supply board, googled it and ordered for about $80. Oh, and about $35 for a generic remote and a Wi-Fi dongle. 

So $115 gets me a dirty great fuck-off telly that was $1.6k new. Not bad ?

• Like 2

So I think I now know why these Verbatim flash drives were so cheap.

Absolutely attrocious random write speed.  Copying 9 Gig worth of files (and a good bunch of smallish ones) is taking over an hour.

So, OK for stuff like big files or bootables created from images.  Next to useless if you want to give out gift copies of your 10,000 photo collection.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:53 PM, Kimmo said:

45 minutes later I had my answer when the backlight conked out. Ripped it apart, got the number off the power supply board, googled it and ordered for about $80.

So new power supply board fixed it? If so score!!!! Had a look at the old board to see if there are any leaking or bulging capacitors? Or looked for a dry solder joint?

20 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Absolutely attrocious random write speed.

Well that's a bit of a bummer.

Me? A new radiator for the old 1992 Hilux. Bought a cheap aluminium one a couple of years ago and it keeps on cracking along the welds so hoiked it out and replaced it with a standard brass and copper one. Still an aftermarket one as the genuine ones must be gold plated given the price Toyota want. So will see how it goes.

13 hours ago, aliali said:

So new power supply board fixed it? If so score!!!! Had a look at the old board to see if there are any leaking or bulging capacitors? Or looked for a dry solder joint?

The board should turn up this week. I had a look at the old board; no obviously dud caps or solder joints... I thought about mucking around with freeze spray, but it's a pretty fancy double-sided board with a lot of surface-mount components, and I figured that not only would it be quite a hassle to diagnose, it might be tricky to fix. So I googled the number on it, and although it's not a cheap part, it's a flash telly, so I thought stuff it. 

a new "earphone" for my ancient sony xperia sp - us$0.39, but cost aud$2.78 all up delivered

already replaced the motherboard after my attempt at soldering a new sim slot failed, and it was doing great for over a year

now as good as new - or actually probably better, given it's running lineage 15.1 (android 8.1) - was pretty good on 9.0 for a time too, but the camera app was horrible

5 hours ago, Kimmo said:

but it's a pretty fancy double-sided board with a lot of surface-mount components

Ah bugger that then, too complex to be worth bothering with given the new board is only $80.00. Hope it fixes the TV.