Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

The thing to try probably would be check voltages with multimeter and see if something drops out on the original.

I fixed 2 power boards on mid 2000s Chimei monitors with fluro backlights - recapped for about 10 bucks each.  But only did the bad ones (ready made packs did likewise, there's known failing components) and both of them developed a bit of a mains flicker.

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

Some great stuff here - unsure of where to put it, so this thread it is...

https://imgur.com/gallery/JcG3B

Love the nail un-bender.  Just about all of the rest is implausible as a real product, but that one has just enough 'utility' that some doofus might actually buy it.

5 hours ago, Cybes said:

Love the nail un-bender.  Just about all of the rest is implausible as a real product, but that one has just enough 'utility' that some doofus might actually buy it.

That 18-volt cordless hammer might a budget Thor hammer ...

Edited by Jeruselem

On 1/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, aliali said:

Ah bugger that then, too complex to be worth bothering with given the new board is only $80.00. Hope it fixes the TV.

Turned out to be not quite the right board; one number different in the model number I didn't notice, and the board is actually slightly smaller so I had to fudge the lower mounting by connecting the holes and screws with a bit of twisty wire, not mention plugging in the power cord is a bit of a hassle now - but if I'd mounted it the other way, the LED wires wouldn't have reached the top of the board. 

Anyway, it works 😀

But the damn thing has no line out or headphone socket (headphone vastly preferable so the remote still controls the volume), so I was gonna graft in a headphone jack, but there was no common ground between left and right* so I gave my electronic engineer mate a ring. 

What he said led me to believe that shorting the minus terminals of the audio output could well fry the audio amp, so I had to give that a hard pass, and settle for ordering a SPDIF converter. Watched the latest Avengers movie last night; 55" screen and 2" speakers was quite the juxtaposition. 

*No common ground between left and right seems to be quite a theme these days... 

Edited by Kimmo
  • Haha 1

Spdif converters are pretty good for what they cost. I ran my headphones off one with my old TV for years. 

I ran audio + video streams from computer to TV for years before video cards lost their TV out for HDMI and I stopped using a capture card.

Fairly sure at a point I used a 2 x RCA to 3.5mm stereo connector - probably both ways - though the TV was a late 2000s era LCD.

Intake upgrade to replace the factory air filter assembly.

Removed this:

Intake%20Original.jpg

and replaced it with this:

Intake%20Upgrade.jpg

Not really about performance improvement, but I think it weights about .5kg less, and now the time to change an air filter should be about 45 minutes rather than 2+ hours, and require less disturbance of parts.

oh, and now you can really hear the supercharger scream, the sound really pops around 3k under throttle, and the whine grows to a howl at 6k, and 8k is insane.

• Like 1

Chances are it'll lose economy/performance if the original had a cold air path.

Pod filters are somewhat a crock - they get "better" figures on a dyno because the run is done with the bonnet raised and a whopping great fan blowing cool air over the entire situation.

Really not worried about the economy dropping a little, the car was already very cheap on fuel for a fun car.

Performance wise I'm happy if it's no improvement, and it's got the same air-path as the original, just inside the side intake vent (mid-mount engine), so bonnet/fan setup wouldn't change it.

With the original snorkel fitted to the old filter box, the original probably was very effective, but the mounting structure meant that it got beaten up every-time you needed to change the filter, and post factor the seal between the snorkel and the filter box was always iffy, so the long term practicality of the snorkel wasn't great. Many people elected to remove it for simplicity and to make changing the filter easier.

I'll trust that SSC did their design well enough that it's at worst performance neutral.

Engine Masters (Motortrend, most eps aren't on YT anymore) did a good air filter comparison show though didn't do temperature differences and was by means of an engine dyno.

Funnily enough the most effective filter was the salad bowl type which isn't practical on most cars unless you've got a hole in the hood.

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

What's this on, @stadl?

2008 Lotus Elise SC - it has the Toyota 2ZZ engine with lotus factory supercharger integrated into the intake manifold.

2 hours ago, stadl said:

Lotus Elise

*fapfapfapfap*

Fuck yeah, awesome. 

So annoying those devices you have that want a mini-USB cable to charge them or do data transfer.  Especially when after spending 10 minutes finding the cable it's a power only one.

The cure - 3 x micro to mini passthrough adaptors for about a buck each on eBay, just arrived today.  So, I guess keep one at the computer, one for the car, one for the work bag.

audiophile frenzy here

b_27773.jpg?version=40

a burson v5 (from massdrop) to replace the already rather stunning v5i in the asus xonar hdav1.3 in my home theatre, significantly ramping up my lounge room sound

and arriving a day later...

81etIknZTjL._SX450_.jpg

an alo pan am tube amp for headphones (from ocau)

my first foray into tubes, and also my first ever seriously hi fi piece of kit, given the rest of my major components are considered "entry level" quality

does it sound good ?

why yes, it certainly does, raising the unfortunately expensive possibility that more headphones will be calling me from the interweb

4 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

why yes, it certainly does, raising the unfortunately expensive possibility that more headphones will be calling me from the interweb

Nice. What sort of headphones are you using with that amp now? 

56 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Nice. What sort of headphones are you using with that amp now? 

my audiotechnica ad700's, another impulse buy from ocau over 9 years ago and still sounding beautiful

as are the even older promedia ultra 2.0's despite their totally crap pots that mean i now have to use contact cleaner periodically and then leave them switched on at the same volume or lose sound almost instantly - bummer ! because they sound great on the computer desk

i'm already under way with an upgrade to the wall wart power supply (u.s. plugs and a chinese adapter) to a re-purposed samsung external hdd power brick with a pair of ferrite cores on the cords, but i have to wait on the plug adapter for the dc plug, which is dinky, and most of the converters are made for the international size 5.5x3.1 female barrel (unlike local 5.5x3.5mm for whatever reason that is)

the background hum is inaudible once the music starts, but...

it has been a very interesting experience in the last few days to hear instruments i never even knew were in tracks i have know for almost half a century, and a completely different presence of lots of stuff in the mix

and now the genie is out of the bottle i can only do my best to not discover anything better for a while... the last "major" move to the nad d3020 and wharfedale 10's has been very acceptable for the last half decade    😄

I was looking at the wharfedale 10.6 when I got my speakers last year. Nice speakers but they just didn't work as well with my ears as the paradigms. 

Massdrop has a nice selection of headphones. I got the 58x jubilee for my birthday this year and I run them off a fiio x3 as a dac/amp from my pc... Until I get around to getting a more permanent/powerful dac/amp combo. 

i bought the wharfedales unheard, having loved the diamond 3's since last century, and having the option to buy a pair of 10.1's for just over $300 delivered when the next generation made them superseded; i then had the added good fortune of getting the bespoke stands for $240 after the even better luck of getting the matched 10" sub for half price, in the same cherry colour

all up i scored well over a couple of thousand worth of sound for not much over $1200, and never regretted it a moment

the nad d3020 was a likewise well informed but unauditioned buy from len wallis audio - a dangerous place to go to with an open mind and wallet, but i only dropped in to collect it as they price matched the interstate choice, and the reviews of it were pretty accurate - lovely ! - plus it has bluetooth and a bespoke line out for the sub

in the meantime i have upgraded the sound source's card (xonar hdav) with initially some opa627 opamps, then a burson v5i, and only very lately the v5  - incremental but very noticeable improvements at every step

the secret is not hearing anything better that is potentially do-able as a purchase, and i suspect my taste in the equipment has come to accept it as "normal" so without going out to listen comparatively, it's as good as it gets for me

Edited by scruffy1

You've also reached that stage where a bit of improvement is a lot of money 😉 the gains from here are mostly not going to be all that worth it for most people. 

A new Seagate 4 TB external 3.5" from Officeworks for $139.

This thing is infernally slow!  Turns out that many newer drives are using SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) that overlaps tracks and requires multiple rewrites which slows them down.
The plan was to remove it from the case and replace the 3 TB inside my machine but now I've decided to use one I bought about 18 months ago which has barely been touched and sat in the cupboard.
I benched both back to back and the older one which uses Perpendicular recording gets 176/166 r/w vs 138/49 in AS-SSD.

Chances are also that it's probably not the full 7,200 rpm either.

Been getting back into playing with quadcopters, except this time FPV instead of line of sight (and now not $18 toys 😛)

Bought a Fatshark HDO and an Eachine Trashcan. Got the HDO set up with an OSD modded Pro58 module and Achilles Plus. Still waiting on my X-lite to arrive so I can actually fly! Until then simulators.

fpv.jpg

Posted (edited)

sweet !

the x-lite gets mixed reviews for quality control, although the form factor is compelling - maybe the later releases are less "prototypical"

personally i think the qx 7 is a safer bet in that price range, albeit nowhere near as cute 'n' sexy

meantime, i am rocking the ancient x9d+ with hall sensor gimbals, upgraded speaker, and an iRangeX multimodule flashed to do telemetry for flying my silverware flashed microdrones which are fully 3d capable (unlike me)

silverware is well worth a look in if you are keen on quads for fpv (and los)

http://sirdomsen.diskstation.me/dokuwiki/doku.php

if you are racing notfastenuf's mods are very popular with the silverware converts - and he's a mad flyer, and this is a brushed 1s set up !

Edited by scruffy1