Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Posted (edited)

Interesting, I might try that on my old Eachine H8! The Eachine Trashcan I bought is a brushless quad flashed with Betaflight, so probably not the target setup for Silverware.

I grabbed the X-lite because I wanted something easy to hold. Personally not a fan of the larger transmitters as someone who uses thumbs.

In terms of what I'm trying to achieve, I want to learn acro rather than racing. Been looking at some of Mr Steele's videos and would be happy to do a 1/10th of what he can. 🙂

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

i'm a thumbie flyer too

if you want to learn acro, silverware is a win !

cheapest most capable drones you will ever encounter

check out the wiki i linked, and also the rcforums threads; silverxxx (who wrote the original firmware) absconded from the forum last year after starting and continuing some amazing work, and it has reached critical mass with others taking on the continuation and the chines board makers jumping on the trend

so much so that it is now possible to buy boards already enable for silverware, from xinte.com, betacore, banggood and even fleabay

but much more fun to buy and convert cheap arse toys like the santa drones, and compatible other stuff (check the wiki) that fly like hundred dollar full acro kit

Oh dear, it seems I’ve bought a Spark and a Tello

s0IJkR6.jpg

There goes all my free time

nah, it's cute, but it's a pretty basic ornithopter

now this i can appreciate, and obviously was somewhat an inspiration

i remember building a rubber powered smaller one back in the mid 70's, but the quality of flight reflected my level of expertise at the time

On 09/03/2019 at 5:42 PM, Rybags said:

A new Seagate 4 TB external 3.5" from Officeworks for $139.

This thing is infernally slow!  Turns out that many newer drives are using SMR (Shingled Magnetic Recording) that overlaps tracks and requires multiple rewrites which slows them down.
The plan was to remove it from the case and replace the 3 TB inside my machine but now I've decided to use one I bought about 18 months ago which has barely been touched and sat in the cupboard.
I benched both back to back and the older one which uses Perpendicular recording gets 176/166 r/w vs 138/49 in AS-SSD.

Chances are also that it's probably not the full 7,200 rpm either.

I guess they don't need to advertise it too well for external drives, because they're not usually raided.

Not that many 'new' drivers use SMR.  But at one point a few years ago it was really good GB/$, so I bought a bunch of 8TB ones.  They're designed as archival drives, so they take a while to fill up but once that's done they read fine (in my eperience) - which is basically all I want from something powering a HTPC.

Just put together one of these yesterday for the kids:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607&area=en

It works quite nicely as a slim case that takes a full size graphics card so I can finally give them a computer they can game on a bit. I'll hid this away behind the desk and wall mount the monitor and give them back the desk space the old HP all in one was taking on their desk.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nich... said:

I guess they don't need to advertise it too well for external drives, because they're not usually raided.

Not that many 'new' drivers use SMR.  But at one point a few years ago it was really good GB/$, so I bought a bunch of 8TB ones.  They're designed as archival drives, so they take a while to fill up but once that's done they read fine (in my eperience) - which is basically all I want from something powering a HTPC.

most external hdd are 5400rpm  because it's less heat and power, and they are usually not doing dynamic stuff

11 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Just put together one of these yesterday for the kids:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607&area=en

It works quite nicely as a slim case that takes a full size graphics card so I can finally give them a computer they can game on a bit. I'll hid this away behind the desk and wall mount the monitor and give them back the desk space the old HP all in one was taking on their desk.

that's pretty slick

dunno how well it'll cope with dust behind a desk in a kid's room...   mr 16's lanboy 2 which he has rocked now for well over a decade had to finally move from his inadequate desk, but ut is mounted off the floor on an ersatz stand to keep it from breeding dust bunnies like a real rabbit

47 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

that's pretty slick

dunno how well it'll cope with dust behind a desk in a kid's room...   mr 16's lanboy 2 which he has rocked now for well over a decade had to finally move from his inadequate desk, but ut is mounted off the floor on an ersatz stand to keep it from breeding dust bunnies like a real rabbit

It's going to be in the family area for the kids (hence my wanting something I can hide. I was thinking maybe cutting a hole in the back of the desk for airflow and mounting it at the back or possibly partially through the back. Then wire a power switch so it surface mounts on the wall under monitor. Hopefully the lack of carpets keeps the dust in check. 

Was delivered yesterday. Not many white ones around, the factory only produced red ones.

Nice knowing you all...

Cheers, DL'd for later.  Good to see you back here too mate.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

Cheers, DL'd for later.  Good to see you back here too mate.

/bro fist

🙂

My days of Ducatis are well over, last was a Darmah, long time back, nice looking bike there Twinny   🙂

It seems no matter how many power boards I have I need more and they do die of course.

Found this at KMart the other day, neat idea, cleaned up my area around my computer quite a bit:

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/arlec-3-outlet-power-cube-board/2496327

Sixteen bucks to resolve some of the cable mess, not bad 🙂

Cheers