Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

I saw them a few weeks ago and baulked at the price.  Then couldn't find them anywhere else and forgot where I'd initially seen them.

But found them again - they're back!  Twisties Zig-Zags.  Bought a bag and paid nearly double what they used to cost.

Hopefully they'll become more common and popular and they won't stop making them.

And on a similar junk food note - almost daily buying a Pine-Lime Splice as an individual from whatever shop I happen to be near - then come home to a bulk buy pack in the freezer at night.

These things are great with dust mite allergy sufferers in the house.  That and air purifiers. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

New camera - image borrowed

s-l640.jpg

Edited by Jeruselem

Another scanner.  5 bucks for an autofeed mini one at MS charity shop.

The cool thing about this one is it can be autonomous by battery or USB power source or work simply tethered to a computer.

The not cool thing is that it's not a direct scan, regardless of connection you have to scan to the SD card then put it into storage device mode and read off the card.

On 23/04/2019 at 4:49 PM, Jeruselem said:

New camera - image borrowed

s-l640.jpg

What's the plan with that?

Just home surveillance, a lot of break ins going on in Darwin

And I guess this is why home surveillance threads dry up, stuff gets posted in here.

What're you using to capture the video, STB/NVR or computer?

41 minutes ago, Nich... said:

And I guess this is why home surveillance threads dry up, stuff gets posted in here.

What're you using to capture the video, STB/NVR or computer?

Haven't got around to that yet ... in testing mode

That link's to a 2.5" HDD.  Funny that, Digitech is normally a Jaycar brand.

The other thing - why would they bother including a USB 3 peripheral end cable?  The extra part makes it incompatible with prior types and only carries data anyway.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Rybags said:

That link's to a 2.5" HDD.  Funny that, Digitech is normally a Jaycar brand.

The other thing - why would they bother including a USB 3 peripheral end cable?  The extra part makes it incompatible with prior types and only carries data anyway.

I bought 3 items

I had a $100 jaycar gift voucher, and the Powerbank seemed like a good deal (I already have an Anker 20,000mAh Powerbank, but it doesn't have QC or USB Type-C PD)

The USB Type-C to MicroUSB 3.0 Type-B cable I bought to test with (Some laptops and Macs have USB Type-C Ports, I'd like to see if the cable works with external HDDs)

and I got the 3TB Drive to start storing my DJI Spark footage/photos, but I'll need to grab a second one so I can keep redundant copies.

I hit send earlier and got interrupted at work, forgot to add in the details

Edited by smadge1

22 hours ago, Mordenakhnen said:

Just bought a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X, quite a nice piece of kit IMO.

What's the use case for this?

Just using it as my home router. Quite cheap, no inbuilt WiFi or xDSL modem, and as a compulsive tinkerer I can play with it (when the house is otherwise empty) to my hearts content. Might give OpenWRT or something simillar a go at some stage.

• Like 1

I'm looking at getting a couple of the ubiquiti ceiling mount access points for home. I've set them up in a couple of pubs and I quite like the results. 

6 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I'm looking at getting a couple of the ubiquiti ceiling mount access points for home. I've set them up in a couple of pubs and I quite like the results. 

i'm a huge fan

i had the "big" 2.4g one, and now rock a mini dual band one ap-ac lite... i got  great deal on a pair of the earlier ones from ocau, which more than paid for the upgrade when i moved on to the new one

they are very effective and the interface is slick, and they look like spacecraft - my initial one was listed as sputnik, but the current one is jupiter2

2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

i'm a huge fan

i had the "big" 2.4g one, and now rock a mini dual band one ap-ac lite... i got  great deal on a pair of the earlier ones from ocau, which more than paid for the upgrade when i moved on to the new one

they are very effective and the interface is slick, and they look like spacecraft - my initial one was listed as sputnik, but the current one is jupiter2

They are so well priced for the feature set too. I've been eyeing off the LR model. I like that i can run a lead through my roof space and put it unobtrusively on the ceiling and away from other electronics. 

Recently when down the coast - I have a Reebok sports/duffle bag that I got over 20 years ago and served well over that time as a work bag, and more recently to carry 4-5 days worth of clothes when I go away.

But it developed a rip and is no longer fit for purpose so I started looking for a replacement.

Found a Tosca Sports Duffle (wheeled) bag at bargain price, normal RRP is about $129 (I doubt anyone actually charges that) - I got it for about 40.

80 litres - this thing is a bit huge, but I'll find a way to use the extra space fairly easily (mine's black with red stitching)

TOSCA-Sports-Duffle-Wheel-Bag-Medium.jpg

Another recent - Pizza Hut medium BBQ chicken pizza.  I was disappointed the other night to find a good local takeaway that I've got pizzas from for years has closed down.

So, what for it but to grab a Pizza Hut pizza.  I reckon they do an OK job, put the abysmal efforts of Dominoes to shame.  But not exactly impressed that my $16 purchase was all of about 9 inches diameter, barely bigger that what used to be called a "small".

On 03/05/2019 at 11:31 PM, scruffy1 said:

i'm a huge fan

Rotary, or 'Chinese' -style?

I'll, uh... see myself out.

• Like 1

Strictly speaking, this was Walt's purchase ... but what's his is mine, so it's all good ...

He visited the local life line and found the complete boxed set of Cheers ... howfuckingexcellent is that !

Discs look to need a bit of a wipe but no scratches seen so far

ocau sucked me in again

DSC00031-1024x535.jpg

my first ever set of in ear monitors (a nod to the headfi thread i stole the pic from : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tin-hifi-t3.23570/reviews )

i am somewhat awe struck at the sound such little things can deliver, especially  using my altoids tin cmoy amp from the same forum

(like the ones here : http://www.lucidlaboratories.com/shop-1/cmoy-headphone-amplifier )

all those plus the pan am tube amp were impulse buys that have been worth every dollar spent, especially at the immense discount used gear gives  🙂

• Like 2

40th Birthday present arrived last week, my Pebble has been its death-throes for a while now. My birthday is not for another 6 weeks so it has to stay on the fridge until then...

20190603_114830.jpg

Just a few CD's

• Joe Bonamassa - Redemption
  • Suzi Quatro - No control <-- Happy birthday btw Suzi
  • Slade - The very best of
  • ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
  • Australian Crawl - The Greatest Hits

On 6/3/2019 at 1:52 PM, SpudMuffin said:

40th Birthday present arrived last week, my Pebble has been its death-throes for a while now. My birthday is not for another 6 weeks so it has to stay on the fridge until then...

I got the 46mm one with LTE

I traded up from the Gear S2, which was still in perfect working order, however, I did like the LTE option, and the 4x battery life of the Galaxy watch. I've also found the NFC contactless pay feature to be much more reliable.

• Like 1

An IDTV dongle for iPhone/iPad (the older 30 pin dock connector types) for 5 bucks @ a Vinnies shop.

Luckily the app is still available, at first glance the thing appeared to not want to work at all but it turns out you have to plug in a micro-USB to provide power.

And away it goes!  Cool.  Now I might have to find an old iPad with the big dock connector.   Although I already have a USB DTV dongle for PC/laptops.

Documentation and commentary seems a bit thin on the ground, but this video describes it adequately - though I suspect it's a different/later version which doesn't need external power.