Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

that's pretty cool

except i don't ever watch tv, and i have a dislike of the i-sphere, but apart from that, it's a great toy

From what I can gather there is an Android version or at least equivalent.  Sadly it would seem this one is Apple only.

Sadly #2 is that of all the devices that used the 30 pin dock, all are practically obsolete - the iPad 3 can do iOS 9.3.5 which is 3 generations old and people still seem to want some stupid money for them.

The charge cable - only charges the device, not the phone, and once charged can operate without it for (however long?)

In anticipation of the release of Borderlands 3, I decided to play through the original and BL2 (pre sequel, DLC, etc)

I have the games on my PC, but my PC is crap, and not enjoyable

So I was happy when I found out that Gearbox had released the original on PlayStation 4

Now I've embarked on a journey of trying to complete the three games and as much DLC as I can before 3 is released.

So, I also figured out how to stream to Twitch from the PS4, and the crappy headset that comes with the playstation is crappy, so I bought a new chat headset (I use my stereo fro game audio)

12049669455902.jpg

Just purchased a few new things ... 

DataVac Pro Electric 4.5-AMP Computer Vac/Blower and Corsair extended MouseMat

SPYQDGS.jpg
OSOuEM2.jpg

4TB WD Hard Disk

ivKHLQ7.jpg

Westinghouse Portable Induction Cooktop

ByzHArm.jpg

Maxim 9L Mini Toaster Oven

mleafX4.jpg

Tefal 24 and 26cm Frypans 

0VbN1XR.jpg

Just a few items I needed ... 😎

• Like 1

🙂

Pay Day presumably Jedi ?   🙂

Those Tefal frypans are awesome though. I'd pretty much gone off anything non-stick because the coatings just do not last but having inherited my mother's by no means new Tefal pan I have had to change my tune. The thing heats quickly and evenly, doesn't care if I forget and use a metal (shock! Horror!) flipper to turn whatever I'm frying and they wash out so damned easy, it is  truly amazing.

I just hope it lives a long time because I happened to see what they cost the other day - my mother always did have expensive tastes 🙂

Cheers

21 minutes ago, chrisg said:

non-stick because the coatings just do not last

True enough, but what bothers me is not that the coatings disintegrate, it's that you can end up eating Teflon (more accurately, PFOA, supposedly not used any more, but when some people are willing to put melamine in baby formula are we certain about that?) - and that shit is ++ungood.  Like, eating cigarette butts ungood.

True enough Cybes but I don't think  Tefal actually use Teflon, there was a time when they referred to it as "Silverstone" I think but even that seems to have disappeared.

Whatever, at the moment there does not seem to be a case of the coating breaking down at all.

I do agree though for a very long time the use of Teflon allowed manufacturers to use truly crap metal as the base and smear that potentially carcinogenic crap on it. Tefal seem to have taken a much more mature approach - at a price.

Cheers

+1 to induction - once you  get used to it there's no going back to gas

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, scruffy1 said:

I'm all electric here, but the stove I have sucks. Ceramic hobs, and they take ages to warm up. The Induction Hob gets things done in half the time ... 

So, also bought a shiny new 4GB GFX card and some spare sata cables. When I bought the above 4TB drive, I realised I didn't have any spare cables, so I grabbed some for future purposes. And although the card says "gaming", I'm not a gamer any longer. I just wanted to make sure I can easily run 2160p files. They run okay on my wheezing 2gb plain card though, but a bit of "future-proofing" (as if that's a real thing in the computing world LOL) doesn't hurt, as I'm upgrading again at the end of august to a Ryzen based system with 32GB DDR4 ... Noice!!  😋

xcujqvf.jpg

Edited by JediKnight

2160p files?  Like videos?

There's not much info around about requirements for specific video types and resolutions other than generational but my thought is that there's somewhat less variance for the ASIC based codec stuff than for 3D, between high and low end cards.

I've been tempted at times to upgrade also but don't play games that require the grunt very much and the 960 GTX handles most/all of what I've got.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:14 PM, scruffy1 said:

it depends what kind of cooking you do i guess?

induction is great, and surprisingly responsive if the first time you use one you have fresh memories of electric hot plates in mind, but i am not sure i would ever want to give up the fine control of being able to alter the distance and angle of pan to flame.

🙂

I'm the same @th, I had to endure several months of cooking on electric hot pates at my mother's place through the first half of this year - it drove me nuts.

Now I'm back with gas and it is sheer bliss  🙂

However if I'm reading correctly for whatever reason Jedi is stuck with an electric only situation. My mother was the same, for probably a different reason, hers was a retirement village and they didn't want people accidentally gassing themselves.

An archaic view but not one you can change easily.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

2160p files?  Like videos?

There's not much info around about requirements for specific video types and resolutions other than generational but my thought is that there's somewhat less variance for the ASIC based codec stuff than for 3D, between high and low end cards.

I've been tempted at times to upgrade also but don't play games that require the grunt very much and the 960 GTX handles most/all of what I've got.

Yes, 2160p videos. Mine is a GeForce GT 710, and it's low-end despite having 2GB. Plus I do want to try some other games out I've seen. And I'm eventually going to get a 43" Monitor, probably the AOC U4308V UHD 4K IPS ... Got nothing else to spend money on so I'll just keep enhancing my PC 😀

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/46606/aoc-u4308v-uhd-ips-43in-monitor

induction requires you to reconsider the settings

every pan has a different sensitivity to the process; our best 2 pans are the well seasoned cast iron one that is easily a third of a century used - it will barbecue meat on 7, and make perfect pancakes on 5

the arcosteel 09-14 from the op shop is superb for anything, but any setting above 4 for more that a brief period boils the bejesus out of contents - very efficient for simmering stodge, or at setting 1 to do slow cook stuff

i have learned that you hit boost momentarily to get the base warmed (and never step away, or you'll regret it) and then revert to the known level for what you are doing... the ability to independently set timers and switching means that rice is easy peasy : boost to boil, revert to 5 (in yet another saucepan on the back "ring") and the set 13 minutes and ir switches off when ready to sit for the requisite further 15

yep, @~ no show of finesse in tilting the pan for tricky stuff while still over "heat", but the instantaneous response on all "flat" stuff is easily as good as gas, and the low settings are much more reliable than a burner

wrt video cards : i got me a 1060gtx 6gb last year from ocau, and it's good on the 1440p i game at, though a gtx2060 would be the sweet spot - rtx can wait

mostly these days i play backgammon on m$... no need for an overclock there

14 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

and the low settings are much more reliable than a burner

now theres a point.  my smallest burner will sometimes go out, and the lowest stable setting is hard to eyeball and probably still varies a lot over a long period.  difficult to get anything low and slow down to an exact science.  also, now youve got me wondering if the lowest setting on an induction plate (or some of them at least) would be gentle enough to eliminate the need for a bain marie...

time to dust off my portable induction plate.

🙂

Or potentially an alternative for sous vide @th ?

Cheers

In my travels was near the mint so dropped in and grabbed the 2019 uncirculated set, theme this year being 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

The domed proof coins look really nice but they want too much for them, as it is the $25 uncirculated set will probably be worth the same in 20 years.  New stamps and coins for the most part a bad investment now because there's so many releases that it turns serious collectors off and coins promoted to the point where only the high end stuff ever attains rarity and seeing it's overpriced to begin with isn't a very good investment.

Also found and risked $5 on a little LCD projector from a Salvo store.  And it works!  Though it's 320x240 resolution so usefullness would be limited but it does have media playback ability by USB and microSD as well as AV and HDMI inputs.

🙂

Geez Ry I really do begin to hope you live in a decent sized place, middy can be like you picking up bargains, I gave up wondering years ago how he squirreled them away in his room.

🙂

Cheers 

Space is somewhat tight to begin with, so yes I do need to get rid of stuff almost as often as I aquire something else.

This projector is pretty good - it can play H.264 MP4 videos which generally needs a bit of grunt, ie Bluray player or HD tuner.  The pity of the thing is that there's no video output option other than to project the image, if it had HDMI out it'd be just about a credible set-top media player.

Hmm,

Depends how much you care about it or how much time you want to expend on it. If it has input by definition there is a way to tap output but it can get messy very quickly  🙂

Cheers

Yeah, chances are there's probably points on the board or pins on a chip.  But it's replicating something I can do anyway and I'd sooner get a RasPi or something to play around with.

On 24/06/2019 at 4:17 PM, @~thehung said:

now theres a point.  my smallest burner will sometimes go out, and the lowest stable setting is hard to eyeball and probably still varies a lot over a long period.  difficult to get anything low and slow down to an exact science.  also, now youve got me wondering if the lowest setting on an induction plate (or some of them at least) would be gentle enough to eliminate the need for a bain marie...

time to dust off my portable induction plate.

the secret is to get a container that is not fiercely ferromagnetic, but that would lessen the efficiency for electric > heat

as a separate issue, bought me some new headphones (another impulse from ocau, but with my standard prior research)

today's item was a pair of AKG Q701 - quincy jones' edition

paired with the alo pan am tube amp i also got from ocau, i am now happily listening to ~ $1400 worth of equipment for a little over 1/4 new price... and it sounds really, really lovely  🎧

having got way more than my money's worth out of the audiotechnica ad700's which i have had since the start of 2010 (and still love), i was worried that this is the start of a new obsession... but then i realised it is just some more of a continuing one

maxresdefault.jpg