Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

Seen the "1 bit mash" systems?

I do suspect they're simply using PWM and filtering caps instead of a conventional DAC.  Whether the quality is better or worse, who knows?

And I do believe there's "oversampling" which would just be interpolation algorithms to "improve" on the now somewhat primitive 16-bits at 41.5 K/second sample rate of CDs.

Why, I don't know, but Crash Bandicoot 2 for the PS1.  My plan is to get rid of most of my old PS1 and PS2 stuff, too much room for ~ 150 games and multiple consoles that virtually never get used.

But 3 bucks for a game that I thought is worth somewhat more - a quick look on FleaBay says it's probably worth at least 20.

58 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

try it, and you won't need my review

if you don't notice a difference, keep what you have

but you will, and then you won't

For the work/headphones use case, I'm not willing to commit any more money, even if I know it will sound better.

In the HT environment... the quality improvement would be nice, but I'm not ripping all the content, so it will still be coming off optical media (SACD/DVD-A/BD/CD).

A DAC would also only be usable for stereo, and quite a bit of my favourite audio content is 4.0/5.0/5.1. and my new receiver doesn't have 5.1 analogue inputs only stereo.

Previously I had a pre-HDMI NAD receiver and used the DACs built into the Oppo BDP95. Last year the NAD died and was unable to be repaired soI  got an Anthem MRX520  While it added lots of features (HD formats, ARC, better bass management), it's one limitation for me was no 5.1 analogue input and  I was worried the internal DACS would not compete with the older but very nice DACs '95 - but whatever they are (Anthem doesn't state a part only 'Premium 32 bit 768kHz')  deliver a beautiful sound.

If I decide to start streaming and/or digital storage play back (other than in the car), my plan would have been HDMI to the HT Rx, but your post has made me think that a USB DAC could be an alternative option - however no plans at this stage to remove optical media.

Edited by stadl

One problem with great sound is the number of albums you don't want to hear through it... The number of great songs that are recorded horribly is sad. 

you can throw optical media in the pc, and send it via usb / coax / optical to the external dac

good point re 5.1 (maybe), but the things you might need that for aren't generally music, where stereo is king

all i can suggest is that once a $25 second hand part several years old is easily vastly superior to a $300 older sound card (using a burson v5i opamp in the primary slot), the game is over

old tech will only sound good because you haven't heard the difference

48 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

you can throw optical media in the pc, and send it via usb / coax / optical to the external dac

Never had a HTPC, never will. I have been using computers daily for over 35 years (25 years as a professional engineer) still use computers for some of my hobbies.

Music and movies need appliances and no software updates, patches, security concerns, any device that won't let me enjoy media without first applying updates is an anaethema

I do have an nvidia shield for netflix youtube etc and barely tolerate that it wants to update every few months (but nearly ditched it in the first week when it wanted to download updates twice)

I know I sound like a grumpy bastard, but I have grown to a love-hate relationship with tech. I could happily live in a remote shed and spend my days building things with my hands - provided there was 100M+ fibre-to-the-shed and a Hifi/HT system with a big-arse screen 🙂 #retirementplans.

Edited by stadl
  • Like 1

It took me too long to realise that single use appliances were more enjoyable than a Swiss army knife of things you cobbled together. The Swiss army knife can be fun from a building perspective but I mostly wish it would just do the thing I want. 

hahahaha

even my stereo amp has had firmware updates

and my camera(s), and my phone(s) and android tablets, and my radio control transmitter, many of its receivers, all of my micro drones

and then there's opamp rolling in the sound cards

oh, and of course the server, and the unifi wifi

apart from designing and building flying models, i see faffing with tech as a natural extension, because a lot of the r/c stuff benefits as well

movies and music benefit appreciably by manipulating the current equipment and incremental improvement

i first started with overclocking athlons on socket a (ah, the joy of bh5 ram and unlocked naked silicon chips)

next up was using riva tuner on the 6800gs to unlock full ultra config, making my good video card into the top of that generation

then  the chaintech av710 sound card allowed me to use the wolfson dacs from the rear channels as the front stereo output, and that easily showed how much difference you could twist from what the generic card did

partly it's down to being a frugal maniac, but mostly it's down to doing it because i can

yeah, i would really enjoy a very expensive piece of kit that arrived ready to go, but in the meantime i can make something demonstrably as capable by google-fu and application of skill; the learning process is in itself rewarding, and i love recycling stuff that would be "redundant" when it is actually forced obsolescence (which i detest)

my review of spending shows i have bought ~ $21k in "stuff" from ocau (and atomic in the day) in almost 13 years, which averages ~ $31/wk in entertainment

the satisfaction is incalculable, but i can guess that if i'd gone "new" and "upgraded" to the same quality as frequently, you could probably almost add a zero to that outlay

if i'd spent all that energy on just being a medico. i'd be filthy rich and probably hated the job - so the trade off for me is that i have all these great toys, worked enough to keep me afloat (and support the family), and got to be a hands on dad for the entire life of our two kids

tldr :  buy a dac and marvel, you pussy

Edited by scruffy1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stadl said:

In the HT environment... the quality improvement would be nice, but I'm not ripping all the content, so it will still be coming off optical media (SACD/DVD-A/BD/CD).

A DAC would also only be usable for stereo, and quite a bit of my favourite audio content is 4.0/5.0/5.1. and my new receiver doesn't have 5.1 analogue inputs only stereo.

in what instances would you make use of multichannel analogue inputs?  quadraphonic vinyl?

5 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

in what instances would you make use of multichannel analogue inputs?  quadraphonic vinyl?

🙂

Now now, if you can find any Quad vinyl I'd be a little amazed 🙂

It always comes down to two schools of thought, be satisfied with out-of-the-box or treat it as a starting point and tweak.

Neither is right or wrong, I entirely get where stadl is coming from, cant really be bothered with an HTPC myself, but I also get scruffy's pursuit of purity.

I have no idea if it can be found in DACs but it sure sounds like he is having a lot of fun looking.

I also well and truly understand what flip is alluding to, sometimes what you find when you pull back the curtains can be positively  horrifying.

I tend to not so much be a cheapskate as just get the best out of what I have, which is why I T classed that Yamaha receiver, why  all my plugs and sockets tend to be shiny and clean and I do like  better than average but not OTT cable. 

It can become an obsession, when it was also my profession I did get very tweaky, less so now.

So long as you are having fun, who cares ?

Cheers

fun is where it's at

but when i discover something to be a revolutionary improvement, i feel inspired to invite others to the enjoyment

why should they miss out when it's both relatively cheap and profoundly better ?

i guess some people like nice shoes, but i'm happier barefoot tapping my naked toes to gorgeous reproduction for less than a pair of nike (or whatever you young people wear now days)

so, it looks like i'm becoming an audiophile upgrade tragic, albeit at the cheap end of silly

pulled the trigger on the stoner acoustic ud130 (the current model) for $86 us, delivered (and they seem to have somehow neglected gst, but i'll see what happens)

it's dinky small, and very basic - but rather nicely specced

Savitech SA9227 USB Audio Receiver
AKM AK4493 High Performance DAC
TI TPA6120A Dual Channel High power Amplifier
USB Audio Class 1.0 24Bit/96KHz
USB Audio Class 2.0 32Bit/384KHz, DSD-64/128/256, DoP-64/128
0.5dB/Step Digital Attenuation (255 steps)
Select-able LOW/HIGH Gain

THD(%): <0.001% 20Hz-20KHz

Package Includes:
1x Stoner Acoustics UD130
1x USB 2.0 Micro USB Cable
1x Carrying Pouch
1x 1 Year Limited Warranty

Weight and Dimensions:
 58mm (Width) x82 mm (Length) x 17mm (Height)
110 grams

that's two bleeding edge dac chips in my grasp now (the other being the ess sabre in the khadas) - looking forward to the comparison

and lashing out on some slightly better cables for the khadas and the subwoofer, because.... it's more-ish presently

i haven't bought 2 brand new electronic items in a row since putting together my a7n8x (with bh5, an fx5200 and a t'bred) - which was a while ago now  🙂

🙂

Straight silver gets lot of kudos for cable. The lengths you are talking its cheap from any wholesale jeweler.

Otherwise after a long, exhaustive pursuit of the holy grail of cable, QED is as good as anything 🙂

I can be extremely tweaky and plain old figure eight does strangle the sound but the improvements challenge the golden ear very, very quickly - its an enduring scam in audiophile-land.

Cheers

On 9/27/2019 at 10:10 PM, @~thehung said:

If you have content on SACD in particular which uses a 1 bit 1.5MHz DSD encoding that needs a special DAC. The good SACD players will have that DAC while the receivers, external DACS and cheaper players converted to PCM before playing back through a lower sample rate 16/24/32bit DAC (10-15 years ago, that process may have noticeably changed the content - these days, the conversion and PCM DACs sound fine)

While DSD format can be passed across HDMI between the player and receiver, many receivers lack the software/hardware to decode the DSD content so that would be a case for needing the analogue inputs. Thankfully my receiver can decode the formats through HDMI so all is good 🙂

While SACD is a virtually a dead format for new content, I have a few old favourites -  Yes I have Floyd's DSOTM 😄 but a particular favourite, is a recording of Bach recorded in a German cathedral that has 4 networked pipe organs - recorded in 4.0 as one organ per channel (they even give you the cathedral floor plan in case you want to rearrange your speakers)

• Like 2

🙂

I do recall when that Bach recording came out, one of The Absolute Sound's reviewers I think it was practically had an orgasm over it 😉

Cheers

Bought myself a couple of LG 27UL600-W monitors to sit either side of my LG 27UK850-W

Auspost managed to lose them for a few days, not sure how, must have put them somewhere in plain sight.

just need some decent very wide screen pictures for the background. Using eyefinity 11520x2160 without bezel compensation or 11732x2160 with.

• Like 1

Can't see myself getting this any time soon, but DO WANT.

Carbon fibre swingarm. About $8k worth.

889593d1517505882-ducati-panigale-1299-s

So I suppose a fraction of the weight?  And on a bike reducing that unsprung weight would do wonders.

But I bet it's as fragile as a Faberge egg.  People crap on about the strength of the stuff but the reality is it's no miracle material, the carbon is just the filler in a bath of resin much the same as fibreglass.

27 minutes ago, Rybags said:

So I suppose a fraction of the weight?  And on a bike reducing that unsprung weight would do wonders.

But I bet it's as fragile as a Faberge egg.  People crap on about the strength of the stuff but the reality is it's no miracle material, the carbon is just the filler in a bath of resin much the same as fibreglass.

Yup.
My last bike I put as many carbon parts on as I could, including wheels. It was like riding a fucking cloud at warp speed.
But If I came a cropper, it'd  be dead, bike destroyed into splinters.
Proper.

XK76yCl.jpg

Edited by twinair

Hardly anyone can come near the quality exhaust note of Ducati.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

I even converted that one to a dry clutch. The 848 EVO came out of the factory with a wet clutch.

Check this out with some decent sound/speakers/headphones.  Same as my 848 (which was the first Ducati I ever bought) except this one is black.