Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

My XBox One controller (genuine, not 3rd party crap) arrived today (Fleabay) - for my Apple TV, don't have any XBOne console here.

$57.99 for a new one and only 4 days from when I committed (I'd made a $52 offer but there was no reply on it)

Only downside is it's black and I'd wanted white.  But a worthwhile saving given the best price in actual stores was $78 at Target.

ed - well, helps if it's a Bluetooth one.  Turns out I've ordered the wrong model.

Edited by Rybags

I've beaten my finances back into submission after getting a back payment (just before I bought the two monitors).  I bought a Surface Laptop 2 (Cobalt Blue, 8GB RAM, 256GB storage, and i5 CPU) mid last week and am enjoying it immensely. It's the first laptop I've ever bought, I did have an old HP boat anchor given to me a few years ago that wasn't much good for anything (nice keyboard though). Now to not spend anything until payday.

• Like 1

My latest upgrade ... 

15BxQCW.jpg

So it's time for my tri-annual upgrade (every 3rd year, or 2.5 years), and I've got all the shiny parts I need to build the next gen computer ...

AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X CPU

Gigabyte X570 Gaming X Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 Memory

Western Digital Blue M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot drive ... if it works (Should be able to boot from it).

Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD (Boot drive backup)

MSI 4GB GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics Card

Thermaltake 650W Modular Power Supply (not shown)

4TB Western Digital Blue 3.5" Hard Drive (not shown) ...
Windows 10 64-bit. 

This gonna be fun 😀

Edited by JediKnight

8 hours ago, JediKnight said:

My latest upgrade ... 

15BxQCW.jpg

So it's time for my tri-annual upgrade (every 3rd year, or 2.5 years), and I've got all the shiny parts I need to build the next gen computer ...

AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X CPU

Gigabyte X570 Gaming X Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 Memory

Western Digital Blue M.2 NVMe SSD (Boot drive ... if it works (Should be able to boot from it).

Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSD

MSI 4GB GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics Card

Thermaltake 650W Modular Power Supply (not shown)

4TB Western Digital Blue 3.5" Hard Drive (not shown) ...
Windows 10 64-bit. 

This gonna be fun 😀

Nice. NVME will be no trouble with Windows 10.

Nice though the 1050Ti is maybe a bit underwhelming vs the rest of it.

14 hours ago, JediKnight said:

can't have too much of a good thing - but my recent migration to win10 suggests a full install plus most of my exes need 50gig

guess if you have multiple redundant backups that's a good thing...

congrats on a new build; my ol' 2600k is still travelling well (with a gtx1060 6gb 🙂 )

and while i'm here, recently received this

10374205.jpg

the stoner acoustics ud130 dac amp

it be rather tiny (that's a 1cm grid) but also rather good for the price - compares favourably to my pan am tube dac amp for under 1/7 of the price; the pan am initially retailed at $599usd (not that i paid that for it)

my review is here if you're interested https://www.head-fi.org/threads/stoner-acoustics-ud130.918013/

My current Win7 install + programs has my 120 Gig SSD constantly needing attention.  Soon to put the 500 in from my Macbook Pro, it was underutilized so I decided to use the 250 that would otherwise have gone to the desktop.

The price of even the high end SSDs is such that there's little worth in using anything under 250 these days.

It would have been nice to go for a pcie 4.0 nvme drive to go with the x570 board but probably not all that important. 

3 hours ago, fliptopia said:

It would have been nice to go for a pcie 4.0 nvme drive to go with the x570 board but probably not all that important. 

As far as I know (according to the mobo specs) the M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 anyway. So I guess it's the same ... This is my first foray into an entirely different system and OS. It's gonna be fun discovering  new things 😀

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

It was a bang for buck issue. I wanted it because my old 2GB GT710 was very underwhelming, and the 4GB 1050Ti card supports a huge max resolution. I'm not really a gamer anymore (Bejeweled and Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe don't require immense power) and it was far cheaper than the 6GB+ options. I'm planning on getting a UWHD Monitor in the near future , so the card is a good middle ground choice.

4 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

can't have too much of a good thing - but my recent migration to win10 suggests a full install plus most of my exes need 50gig

A friend of mine (Midnighter) put me onto a script that removes all the bloatware (many GBs), and as per usual, I'll be paring it down to whatever I can remove that's unnecessary, which is what I do with any OS I install.
I will miss Windows 7 though. I might even build a backup system using that ... 

Yeah... it's probably the card I'd buy new if building for myself.  The amount and type of gaming I do doesn't justify much over $250

1 hour ago, JediKnight said:

As far as I know (according to the mobo specs) the M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 anyway. So I guess it's the same ... This is my first foray into an entirely different system and OS. It's gonna be fun discovering  new things 😀

The m.2 slot sure is pcie 4.0. It's just the drive looks to only make use of pcie 3 speeds. I wouldn't worry. I have a Samsung drive about the same speed and it flies. The faster drives are so much more expensive and I'm not sure I'd notice the real world difference. 

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

I would not buy any GPU slower than GTX1060 these days. There's a GTX1060 on my laptop ....

50 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

The m.2 slot sure is pcie 4.0. It's just the drive looks to only make use of pcie 3 speeds. I wouldn't worry. I have a Samsung drive about the same speed and it flies. The faster drives are so much more expensive and I'm not sure I'd notice the real world difference. 

Yeah, I just checked the WD website. The M.2 is PCIe Gen 3, but as you said, I'm not sure I'd notice the difference either. The speeds are 1.7GBytes sec Read / 1.45GBytes sec write, and that's a lot faster than a SATA SSD, so it'll do for a boot drive. My old Sata SSD boot drive was pretty quick, so all is good 😀

42 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

I would not buy any GPU slower than GTX1060 these days. There's a GTX1060 on my laptop ....

I paid $239 for my 1050Ti, and the cheapest GTX 1060 is the ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DC2 Strix Gaming 6GB for $379 (PC Case Gear), so I did save money, as I don't need the power. I usually only play retro games anyway, such as the C&C world, Half-Life 1 and 2 etc 🙂

Edited by JediKnight

as much as win10 is not by choice, i am pleased to say with some tweaking it's pretty much win7 with a 2d interface- a bit like retro to win3.1 with better resolution

i was pleasantly surprised how easily i got used to the basic layout, and that it has failed to make any of my attached hardware redundant - given the scanner was meant to die with winxp

if you are using the pc as a media thing, i can't recommend the khadas tone board highly enough - every high end sound card is shit comparatively; hell, even the dinky usb stoner ud110v2 made me pull out the xonar d2, because it was nowhere near as clean

pay $99usd and marvel

The updates can be annoying as hell but with my work laptop I just pause them for the allowable 35 days then when at home about once a month release it and get them all in one go - having been burnt at one point where it just decided to in the background leech over a Gig of my mobile data without my knowledge.

That said, it seems Avast is releasing definitions every 20 hours or so it feels like it which is disruptive in itself but at least most times doesn't need a reboot.

30 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

$21.50 for that.

If there wasn't 24-karat gold dust stirred into that OJ, you have just cause to commit atrocities in that shop, imho. 😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kimmo said:

$21.50 for that. Sheesh

You would have been better off going to Maccas or KFC and getting a bigger meal for far less.

Ultimate Box (Burger, piece of chook, potato/gravy, large chips, drink (upsized) - $12.95

Quarter Pounder, large fries, large drink - $11.60
Hungry Jack's Whopper meal (burger, fries, drink) - $10.90

If I'm gonna have takeaway, I pick one of these 3 ... much cheaper 😀

Edited by JediKnight

13 minutes ago, JediKnight said:

You would have been better off going to Maccas or KFC and getting a bigger meal for far less.

Maybe so, but I'd be funding advertising from those mobs, which fuck that noise. 

5 hours ago, Kimmo said:

$21.50 for that. Sheesh

what did you order, truffle spaghetti with truffle oil?

save your coins and head down to Salmon Street for a better quality lunch.

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:

head down to Salmon Street

Lol, peeking at the exif

2 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Lol, peeking at the exif

nope  :)

btw, i love what youre wearing.

actually...the building in the background.  i wanted to find the menu.  no luck.  "save your coins..." was from a review :)