Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

On 10/31/2019 at 3:41 PM, JediKnight said:

A friend of mine (Midnighter) put me onto a script that removes all the bloatware (many GBs), and as per usual, I'll be paring it down to whatever I can remove that's unnecessary, which is what I do with any OS I install.
I will miss Windows 7 though. I might even build a backup system using that ... 

I'll be sticking with Win 7 forever, it seems.

9 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

I'll be sticking with Win 7 forever, it seems.

if you upgrade now, you can still use the existing serial number in win7 to activate 10

i recently did so because my win 7 was corrupted and got glitchy, and i have been obliged to use win10 at work and the latest iteration is less shit than the earlier ones

it's pretty easy to uninstall all the inclusive bloat manually, and once you switch off everything you don't need, it's okay - sorta like win7 with a slightly higher res win3.1 interface

if you feel really nostalgic you can probably skin it with win7, and hardly notice any major difference

my biggest recent gripe is hardware; looks like my ancient z77 board is getting more and more touchy with cold booting, so i think next winter will be problematic  😞

looking at current available stuff - it's too new for my knowledge, and so i am not keen to go shopping really as the research is tiresome after half a decade of happy stasis

45 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

if you upgrade now, you can still use the existing serial number in win7 to activate 10

Wish I had know that when I purchased a copy of Win 10 recently (now not used), that's what I get for not being on here, damn it!

Can't sell it after it been used either, as the serial number is tied to my MS account now *sigh*

Edited by datafast69

From a Salvo shop recently - for use with Mame and other emulators.  20 bucks, though I believe they're going at clearance rates in other places.   By the look of mine, new or barely used.

img2-34986.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rybags said:

From a Salvo shop recently - for use with Mame and other emulators.  20 bucks, though I believe they're going at clearance rates in other places.   By the look of mine, new or barely used.

img2-34986.jpg

ooeee !!  must... resist....

if the switches are good that seems like a great piece of kit, but i am past my days of missile command, and i was never much at fighting games (although joust had its moments)

31 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Wish I had know that when I purchased a copy of Win 10 recently (now not used), that's what I get for not being on here, damn it!

Can't sell it after it been used either, as the serial number is tied to my MS account now *sigh*

yeah, windoze says its too late, but my activation experiences suggest its all bluff - with both win7 ultimate (to 10pro) and win7 home

• Like 1

Ideally Missile Command and Centipede should use a trakball.  I have none though do have an ancient PS2 trackball type mouse somewhere.

The switches aren't quite arcade quality, less travel and probably have the carbonized + grid type contacts.

On the other hand, I've still got my Atari type Wico joystick from the 80s, they made actual arcade controls and it uses all leaf switches which in theory can last just about forever.

This new thing by the feel of it might have leaf switches on the stick.

1 hour ago, datafast69 said:

Can unlink it in accounts under settings. However still can't sell it as the key will then be tied to the hardware it was initially installed on.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

sell the hardware if that's an option

It's 11 years old, I've grown attached 😳

😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Ideally Missile Command and Centipede should use a trakball.  I have none though do have an ancient PS2 trackball type mouse somewhere.

The switches aren't quite arcade quality, less travel and probably have the carbonized + grid type contacts.

On the other hand, I've still got my Atari type Wico joystick from the 80s, they made actual arcade controls and it uses all leaf switches which in theory can last just about forever.

This new thing by the feel of it might have leaf switches on the stick.

🙂

I have this massive preference for using a trackball, less desk space needed and no RSI (so far 🙂 )

Cheers

The trackball mouse, I think I used it 5 minutes and it's been packed away ever since.

Used an "ergonomic" keyboard and mouse today and hated them both.

Had one of the early MS ergo keyboards that I think was given to me as part of a system and sold it not long after.

For me an ergonomic mouse is one that fills the area under your palm and is easy to click and pick up.  It's not rocket science and the things have evolved over 30+ years so I don't know why every bloke and his dog is trying to bring in radical new designs that are just crap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rybags said:

The trackball mouse, I think I used it 5 minutes and it's been packed away ever since.

Used an "ergonomic" keyboard and mouse today and hated them both.

Had one of the early MS ergo keyboards that I think was given to me as part of a system and sold it not long after.

For me an ergonomic mouse is one that fills the area under your palm and is easy to click and pick up.  It's not rocket science and the things have evolved over 30+ years so I don't know why every bloke and his dog is trying to bring in radical new designs that are just crap.

My favourite keyboard (Logitech Illuminated USB) gave up the ghost...........after popping  the 5 off the keaypad years ago...........the cord finally shit itself.

I'll just get a new one, I thought. 

Superseded by the cordless model...............a few available in England at over double what they used to be!

Maybe I'll open it up and replace the cord.....................

14 hours ago, Rybags said:

For me an ergonomic mouse is one that fills the area under your palm and is easy to click and pick up.

If a mouse were to fill my palm like that, either it would be double the normal size or my fingertips would be grazing the mousepad.

I've been a 'claw' mouser since the things first appeared on the market, with a short foray into trackball.  The claw style has the advantage that my arm and hand have to move almost not at all most of the time - I can push the thing around adequately with just my fingers.  Only extreme travel events require gross movement.

• Like 1

I bought another Win10 Pro licence the other week for like 8 bucks from the eBay wreckers.

The one I bought nearly 3 years ago still works fine.  I was just going to transfer it to the newer MBP but bought it instead.

The surprise though was that when I reinstalled Win10 on the new one, it automatically activated so I'm guessing on Macs it ties the licence to the serial number.

I use a Mac these days with Fusions running a Windows 10 VM because I need to keep up with the Windows thing I guess.

Thanks to modern day virtualisation a setup like that isn't much slower than running it natively - though you cop the RAM loss overhead of 2 OSes.

My Macbook Pros spend 98% or more of the time in Windows, I don't care what people say, MacOS is just slower and clumsier to quickly swap between lots of programs, and I much prefer the taskbar way of doing things and prefer not having maximized applications that stop you easily swapping to any other one.

Mac OS handles this kind of thing really well.

Three finger swipe left or right to change OS instantly.

When I'm done, close lid. When I'm back, open lid...no slow down no lag. Nothing.

And I'm also running quite a few applications and what not.

It's a beautiful thing.

Latest, are the following with most resent last.

Non oversampling Re-clocker for TDA1541A/SAA7220P/B based players

20191016_133638.jpg.f04a9a99a9ba480280976090930dccc9.jpg

Early TDA1541A S1 Single Crown DAC Chip (pulled from Marantz DA12)

20191010_171545.jpg.62b80758c9b3da4e3bdd1031ad9bf9c1.jpg

A verity of Thor Smart Filter Boards, 1x 8 plug, 2x 2 plug, 2x 4 plug. (All at silly low prices from RR clearance)

SmartFilter8-01-1-600x600.png.0ca2bb5dc97555496e5da9746aac1fa6.pngSmartDuo-01-e1479310640446-600x1415.png.ecea3e55d25537279cfb008150373fb1.pngSmartProtect6-01-e1484554566170.png.62585e64ffe96ba5cc75c6d6b19da1ff.png

Yummy!

70% is my limit though, the darker varieties are too much for me, but 72% of quality choc' sounds perfect 😍

28 minutes ago, datafast69 said:

Yummy!

70% is my limit though, the darker varieties are too much for me, but 72% of quality choc' sounds perfect 😍

The 54% I bought previously didn't work so well as a mousse, so I'm h oping 72 has enough punch.

14 minutes ago, Nich... said:

The 54% I bought previously didn't work so well as a mousse, so I'm h oping 72 has enough punch.

Mmm....I love mouse! I mean moose! no!....mousse 👀

Sounds like it should do the trick!