Lanzer

Post Your Latest Real Life Purchase!

i got a pair of original audiotechnica pads for the ad700's last month, for $12.56 a piece, plus $10 post

good as new !

• Like 1

G1wWxkZ.jpg

gotta do some lawn work, first time I’ve lived in a place with a lawn. It’s only 3x3m, didn’t want to deal with two-stroke machines.

• Like 1

Maybe a good thing - Ozito probably wouldn't deal with much bigger.  I've got a corded standard+hammer drill of theirs but it's fine for infrequent use.

I got one of the ozito drills to take up the tiles in the bathroom and it worked great for that and still gets used to break up concrete here and there... Never used it as a drill though...

I have owned, for quite some time, a heavy duty (10A) 20M extension lead, and my place has an external power-point right out the front.

Seems it was fate that I would buy and use a 240V whipper snipper.

I'd prefer a battery powered one, but they are a lot more expensive. Maybe I could do everything on two batteries.

And anyway, it has a 3yr replacement warranty, so it'll be good for at least 3 years.

Edited by smadge1

😉

Ozito is a moving target, it was crap, it keeps getting better.

Long way to go to match Ryobi for example but with a drill especially the typical home use is so limited you might as well go with Ozito.

Cheers

Still waiting for them to arrive, but they were called 'Council Rates'. Better be good!

Ryobi is nothing special really, in terms of midrange power tools sits fairly near the bottom (consider low range = Ozito & the various $30 drills that are usually store specific branded Chinesium, mid range = Bosch green, some Makita, Ryobi, Black & Decker {which in itself barely falls into that category}, high range being the likes of Panasonic, Hitachi, DeWalt, Milwaukee)

I bought one of their delta sanders years ago (smallish pad which was held by adhesive, not velcro) - regretted purchase, prettty useless tool and it has a whopping great 240 to 120 Volt converter brick weighing about a kg around halfway up the power cord.

Unimpressed that  my 4 TB Seagate with barely 3/4 of a year since I installed it getting some bad sectors, likely thanks to the hot weather.

So I thought about it and have decided to grab a 1 TB SSD to be the games/general storage drive.  The mech drives can sit in removable bays and be used on demand.

MSY as usual seem to be out of stock regarding any item you want so the Samsung QVO 860 at $155 was the one I settled for.  Has the advantage of price but disadvantage of inconsistent speed and less write endurance vs normal SSDs.  But I'll see how it goes.

Edited by Rybags

Took a gamble on a $5 Garmin GPS from a Salvo store.  A mate has the same model and I'd obtained a 3 YO update for him so it was worth the gamble - either I'd have given a donation and gotten the car adaptor/cable or I'd scored an almost up to date cheap nav unit.

It verks!  Though unsure if the internal battery is still good yet.  Got the maps updated OK as well.

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Took a gamble on a $5 Garmin GPS from a Salvo store.  A mate has the same model and I'd obtained a 3 YO update for him so it was worth the gamble - either I'd have given a donation and gotten the car adaptor/cable or I'd scored an almost up to date cheap nav unit.

It verks!  Though unsure if the internal battery is still good yet.  Got the maps updated OK as well.

i hate garmin with maximum prejudice

i had (have) an asus a50 "nuvi-fone" that allegedly had lifetime map updates; first they blocked updates by changing the site (got around that piece of shitfuckery) and then they ceased to release any updates that would work

when confronted re "lifetime updates" they were completely without response - i guess they expect short lives, especially if their dissatisfied customers catch up with them

sure it's an ancient phone, but satnav is still functional barring the maps

i'd rather trust google these days

Yeah, it's just luck that I found a 2017 map update as a torrent.  And the PITA about it is you have to use their Mac or Win based software to get it onto the device rather than just copying direct.

In the meantime, the software also promotes the fact you can pay $187 to gain access to free updates.  And I imagine that probably pertains to one device only so it's pretty pointless doing it for something that's nearly 10 years old and has a worth of a fifth that if it's lucky.

Red Rock Deli Salted Caramel and Vanilla Bean PopCorn.

This stuff is the work of the devil.

They also do a Parmesan & cracked Pepper that's pretty savoury but not as good.

Link no workie - probably one of those generic search things that's temporary.

44 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Link no workie - probably one of those generic search things that's temporary.

It was my purchase link so maybe it's like you said.

Had a tooth out................a bit traumatic so I'm off my game.

s-l500.jpg

Did they use that on your tooth?

Do you have a usage case for buying rather than hiring?

Have you found yourself a nice source of sandstone or something?

20 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Did they use that on your tooth?

Do you have a usage case for buying rather than hiring?

Have you found yourself a nice source of sandstone or something?

They did have to cut the tooth up to get it out...................hurt like fuck no matter how many needles they jabbed in there!

Anyway,  I've got about 50 square metres of travertine to lay..............not all that straight forward and I've got a couple of thousand bricks..........about half convict made I need to cut to make paths etc.

Having one allows me to do it when I like rather than being under time pressure.

I'll hire a compactor for half a day as I need it................Bunnings is nearly next door.

I can sell the saw when I'm finished with it.............in about 10 years!

• Haha 1

Somewhat pissed off that the Rivers slip-on shoes I bought in the first week of October and barely worn for any significant walking duties both split the sole around the front of the heel - flat surfaced, no heel but a colour change which is likely a second molding or glue process.

Took them back without receipt and I'd bought them interstate but I'd joined their buyers club/whatever a couple of months before.

Bit of a long wait but couldn't get a refund but was offered replacement of equivalent or same product.  I didn't fancy going through the same thing again so picked a different shoe though it was $20 more but they just let it ride.

So, some good service there though questionable product.

That's disappointing - I'm in the market for some new shoes and was going to look at Rivers despite them off-shoring all their manufacturing. Perhaps I'll look elsewhere.

Cheers

Yeah, they have some nice looking shoes at not too high prices, like Harris Scarfe but in both cases the theme seems to be designed in Aus and made elsewhere.

I used to buy their dress shoes in the late 80s/early 90s but stopped when the price rocketed and quality dropped.

Seems like these days it's almost impossible to get any sort of decent midrange athletic type shoe.  They're usually flimsy as buggery, have no tread or a sole with no flex, or are totally devoid of any ventilation.

Then you find something you think will suit well and it lasts less than a year.

(read Diadora there - they used to make a pretty great shoe but they seem fairly shit lately)

Edited by Rybags

Dunno,

My brother has some pair that he swears by, has walked all over Europe in them and still good.

I gather they are not cheap but if they last as long as his have probably worth it.

Must find out what they are.

Cheers

I've been through 3 or 4 pairs of rivers shoes before I properly realised they were all junk. I'd never touch a pair of shoes from there again. Lousy materials, bad workmanship, inconsistent cuts. 

Personally for length of wear I find Ecco make great shoes but you really want an outlet store. They look good for years and have good support. Rockport still make good stuff too, mainly their XCS stuff. They are often discounted at shoe warehouse. 

Other than those 2 brands it's mostly runners for me. Maybe a pair of skechers but I find their soles wear out quickly and their softness allows a bit of wobble. 

Edited by fliptopia

13 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I've been through 3 or 4 pairs of rivers shoes before I properly realised they were all junk. I'd never touch a pair of shoes from there again. Lousy materials, bad workmanship, inconsistent cuts. 

Yep.

Twenty odd years ago a totally different story though. Rivers goods were really bloody good. Walt still has a few  shirts and cotton sweaters that to this day are very wearable.

The  last Rivers outlet left this area a few years ago now. I could not enter the shop any more cos of the overwhelming smell of plastic and rubber  ... was just toooo much

I bought a medium duty Rivers pair about a year ago for walking.

At first they were torture, gave me nasty blisters on the little toes.

Now they're pretty good.  Expanded to suit my feet and reasonably comfortable.

But I share the gripe of the shoddy construction and poor fit.

25 years ago you could get half-sizes which for me are great.

The "standard" sizes are a joke.  Almost always too narrow and tight.  By the time they stretch and wear in to suit your feet they're usually half way through their useful life.